FREE safety dept. - Dwight Smith ? ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Jul 20, 2006.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Thank you good sir...

2. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

This is a message board where alot of speculations are made and its the offseason, theres nothing else to do. Dont trash kelly for her thread, Ive seen more rediculous threads with like people speculating the jets getting people like plaxico burress, w/e. I do think Kelly could have posted us with player information for positions we NEED. Defensive tackle and maybe a wide reciever perhaps?

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Listen, it's a simple concept.

This is the JETS forum. This forum is dedicated to stories on past, and present players, not future players. When one starts to speculate as to who woulda', coulda', shoulda' be or have been on the team, it belongs in the NFL Forum- that's why the NFL forum is there.

Petro, in his infinite wisdom, recognized that not everything is JETS related, including this story. It's a thread about a guy who has no connections to the Jets, and filling a position where we DONT EVEN HAVE A GREAT NEED.

The forum needs some organization, and the mods do keep up on it. If you've followed Kelly in the past, you'd know that ALOT of his/her stuff gets posted in the JETS forum, and alot of it is moved eventually because it's not JETS related, including this post.

I have no problem with posting news about NFL players- just don't do it in the JETS forum. Why is this such a difficult concept for folks to get ahold of?

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Jetman nothing against you personally of course, but you have to recognize where I am coming from. You don't just keep throwing stuff against a wall, hoping that it sticks.

5. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Well when its in the offseason and training camp hasnt even started yet, I think its appropriate to talk about prospects. This is the period of pickups, you never know what might happen next. I agree this should be in the NFL forum, maybe if Kelly were to hypothetically post an article about dwight smith AND the jets being interested in him that would be a bit better for the jets forum. But also look at how much we speculated about T.O. and Randy Moss. It could be worse.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

He's 27 bro...I guess 24 to you must mean he's "getting up their in age"...??

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

safety is the least of our problems right now

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Let's get all of our rookies signed first, then we will see if there is somebody to maneuver for. I do not think we are going to pick anyone else up this year, in terms of a proven player.

9. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

hahaha! i have friends who totally write off most 30+ year olds in the nfl.

10. kelly

kelly Banned

" . . . Smith is a solid safety. . . "

that's what i thought. i hope OUR young players come through for us , but in case they don't . . .

11. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

You realize how that sounds right? I'll give you a hint--it won't inspire great confidence in your boy Rhodes that he has such great instincts that he can make interceptions in games that don't matter at all.

12. kelly

kelly Banned

July 21, 2006
    Saints release outspoken FS Smith
    PFW asks associate editor Jeff Reynolds for his take on the NFL?s hottest topics.

FS Smith will draw wide interest

Saints veteran FS Dwight Smith, a converted cornerback and one of the many defensive stars for the Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII, was released Friday with little fanfare. Smith, just 27, was deemed replaceable by the new regime in New Orleans. The Saints used second-round picks on safeties in two straight drafts.

PFW: What is Smith?s value on the open market?

Reynolds: Don?t think that Smith won?t have suitors because the Saints claim to have failed in finding a trade partner. Smith can count on hearing from Tampa Bay and Detroit right away. The Buccaneers pursued CB Charles Woodson as a possible fit at free safety in the cover-2. Smith isn?t a pure cornerback or ideal safety, but he knows the defense, the coaching staff and many of the Buccaneers? starters. He left on amicable terms, and the personnel staff continues to hold Smith in high regard. The Lions, now headed by former Buccaneers assistant Rod Marinelli, have a hole at free safety and could even consider moving Smith back to cornerback. He can survive at the position only in the cover-2 scheme because he lacks top-end speed and great quickness. But the Lions will employ that defense this season. Terrence Holt was a disappointment at the position last season, and Smith has better instincts and cover skills than rookie Daniel Bullocks. Adding Smith would be similar to Matt Millen?s acquisition of DB R.W. McQuarters prior to last season. McQuarters played safety and then started at cornerback after Fernando Bryant went down with a season-ending injury, but McQuarters was released after the season. Many other clubs could show interest in Smith, among them the Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, :beer: Jets :beer: , Titans, Texans, Colts and Falcons.

> from : July 25, 2006 - PFW - Home > Commentary > Spins
    FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T POST THE LINK

13. croden14

croden14 New Member

there uis no way in hell we would sign smith, with coleman and rhodes, and since hes a vet, he would want a starting spot, not a spot on the bench :rofl:

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

you make no sense. go play pokemon or something

15. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

huh?

You said that Rhodes has great instincts, which is why he is able to dominate in preseason. I said that that is one of the worst arguements ever crafted by man. Pretty simple.

BTW pokemon kicks ass, don't rip it :wink:

16. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

what are you talking about? he became a starter BECAUSE of plays like that. those interceptions werent worthless. and again: he dropped about 4 interceptions last season and at least two of his nearly intercepted passes dropped into ty law's hands. he's an amazing athlete and made great plays but he just wasnt lucky, thats all.

17. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Rhodes made a great play in the Jacksonville game picking off a fade pass from Leftwich giving us a chance to win(which we should have). He also deflected quite a few passes throughout the year.

He also was in the top 3 on the team in tackles. He is one of the bright spots in our defense and if he gains maybe 10-15 pounds of muscle he will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

I don't know how people on this board are down on him when he constantly produced and rarely got beat. He has amazing ball instincts and was in just about every play/tackle last year.

He's also responsible for making Ramsey look bad in mini-camp by snatching his passes out of the air(one of them one handed) and returning them.

18. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

This makes your confronting me even stranger, considering that I've never in my life questioned Rhodes' athleticism.

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

FYI...he signed with the Vikings!!

20. kelly

kelly Banned

hopefully our young guys will come through for us.

cheers
    :beer: