Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

True but the Jets NEVER could of anticipated the other 31 nfl teams having on legitimate offers for Braylon.

Hell I guarantee there isnt a single person on this entire board who ever could of imagined that not a single team having real interest in Braylon.

I mean the Jets HAD to have figured that some team would give him an offer that they couldnt compete with. While sure its a no brainer that nobody was going to give Braylon a 5 year 50 million contract, its pretty damn shocking that nobody even offered the guy 4 years 20 + million at this point .

At some point Braylons value HAS to crash low enough that he has to spark Tanny's interest. Unless our head coaches are truly convinced that one of our rookies (or UDFA) is the future.

But I agree that the Plax contract (and almost certainly overpaying of him) will by far by the biggest impediment to ever seeing Braylon here, even on a dirty cheap contract.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Re-evaluating Cotchery's status on this team - I'm not liking the production from Sanchez to Cotch last year. Looking up the stats Cotch only caught 47.1% of the passes Mark threw to him. Obviously it's not all on Cotch but the QB to receiver needs to have a better connection than that.

Cotchery caught 41 receptions on 87 targets for only 433 yards at 10.3 YPC and 5 Yds per target.

Here are the other receivers numbers:
    Holmes - 52 receptions on 94 targets (55.3%) for 746 yards at 14.3 YPC and 7.9 Yds per target
    Edwards - 53 receptions on 101 targets (52.5%) for 904 yards at 17.1 YPC and 9.0 Yds per target

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yeah dude, thats what Im trying to tell you Murrell, he sucks. People love this guy for some reason. Hes aiiiiiight. No biggie

4. Murrell2878

Don't get me wrong JD, I love Cotch too. I'm just concerned with that level of production from Cotch as the No. 3 receiver when that's what he will be in 2011.

5. Murrell2878

Just as a point of reference here is DUSTIN KELLER's stats from 2010:

55 receptions on 101 targets (54.5%) for 687 yards 12.5 YPC and 6.8 YPT

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well due to Plax's age (and the fact he hasnt played football in 2 years) I kind of expect Cotch to be used as a No 2.5 reciever.

Basically rotating him in and out with Plax situationally alot more often to keep Plax healthy and fresh for when hes needed (ie redzone 3rd downs)

#406 dcm1602, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

For the record, Cotchery's back was bothering him all season, in addition to other nagging injuries (groin/hamstring). It was a bad year for Cotchery. I still think he's a solid #2/3 WR when healthy.

8. AussieJet

AussieJet New Member

Cotch to Giants with a 2nd rounder for Osi?

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ill pass and probably so would they

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I wouldnt even want to give up a 2nd for Osi.

Throwing in Cotch makes it that much more of a shit deal

11. ........

........ Trolls

People really need to stop making this suggestion. It's a terrible idea for both teams involved.

12. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Cotchery and a number 2 for Osi?

Just throwing it out there.

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

What the... and why would the Giants want Cotch?

14. ........

........ Trolls

Tanny doesn't strike me as the type to shrink away from contact if he has an interest in a player. If he wanted Braylon signed for 5 million per, I'm guessing he would have made that known and waited for an answer or for Braylon to sign with another team. Instead, we haven't heard anything about a real offer made to him. So, the team went in a different direction. It happens. We all wanted Braylon a hell of a lot more than the team did, and now we can try to figure out why. I doubt it'll do much good to keep hoping for him, though. We seem to have moved on regardless of how low his price sinks.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

In all fairness, Cotchery was hurt all of last year. I am not comfortable getting rid of him when that is behind Holmes is a player who hasn't played in three years and a bunch of guys who never played in the NFL. How does that help our young QB mature and the offense take a step forward? I am not one to favor spending big money on WRs but we need more than Holmes, a convict, and three nobodies at WR.

16. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

1st the Giants don't need another slot WR. 2nd OSI plays on a 4-3 Defense... WOW guys let's get our stuff together... We are brighter fans than the giants...

17. Jim

Jim New Member

Cotchery has played with the Jets his entire career and has only played less than 14 games once in that time, and that was his rookie season when he played 12. So although he is getting older, he has been reliable and is not worth trading away for the small cap space they will receive. He is the kind of guy you want around for the new receivers to learn from.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I think that Rex / Tanny have their eyes on someone in next years draft, WR , OLB or DE??

19. NickD

NickD New Member

"Oh my gosh! Bear is driving! How can this be?"

Justin Tuck fits our defensive line, Osi does not.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'd dump Cotch in a heartbeat for a legit pass rusher.

I have no allegiances, since the players don't.