The battle for Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i saw Braylon become a leader as the season went on, if we lose holmes, sign Rice and have two twin towers on each side jump balling their way into the end zone and making things easy on sanchez. oh, and if holmes goes to washington, enjoy your 6-10 season.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Holmes will probably stay with the Jets, he is just going to leverage the offers to squeeze every possible penny from them.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Judging from the way Rex and Tannenbaum talked about Holmes during camp last year on Hard Knocks, I'd think he's their #1 priority at WR. He did nothing during the season to change their opinion, won a few games for us, caught a lot of big TDs in big spots.

Sign this beast!

4. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

With John Beck QBing? Yea, okay.

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I know they're talking about throwing around big FA money again, but part of me thinks that the Redskins are planning to tank for Andrew Luck.

Unless they're actively trying to lose games, there's no excuse for going into a season with John Beck and Rex Grossman battling for the starting job.

6. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Hey so can teams make offers to free agents today or does that not start til Friday?

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You can make offers and get verbal agreements but nothing can be signed.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's my thinking unless some team like Tampa comes out of the woodwork and throws a ridiculous offer at the guy I can't see him going to Washington. Yes he said $$$ is his #1 priority but he never said it was his only priority. Anybody who uses the "well he's already got his ring" line doesn't understand the pro athlete. These guys all have egos and they are all so competitive that they all want to win. This isn't the NBA. Yes there is the occasional clown who only cares about the $$$ but Holmes strikes me as a guy who wants to win while making big bucks. You also have to look at the coaches in play. Are guys really clamoring to play for Mike Shanahan? He's a guy who won 2 SB's on the coattails of John Elway and Terrell Davis and not even a playoff game since 1999. He doesn't have the reputation of being a players coach and that goes all the way back to his days with the Raiders.

9. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

But Shanahan has 2 rings as a head coach...Rex has nothing. I think this, Braylon, and Cromartie will all come down to the $.

No matter what anyone says at anytime, it's always about the money.

10. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I would say if he wants to get overpaid, let him go to Washington.

11. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

you're right , what was i thinking, with beck QB'ing 3-13 tops.

12. david1023

david1023 Member

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

jets were first team to talk to holmes agent this morning, followed by two others

per Brian Coz NY Post

14. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Did you see anything about who the other teams were?

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Probably the Redskins, Dolphins, Pats, Every Team in the NFL. Like i said about Aso, Holmes is a big prize right now.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

More:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/jets-first-to-contact-santonio-holmes/

Jets first to contact Santonio Holmes
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 26, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
    If Santonio Holmes was worried about how much the Jets wanted him back for the 2011 season, he can now rest easy.

The Jets were the first team to contact Holmes’s agent when the lines of communication opened on Tuesday. Joel Segal, Holmes’s agent, told the New York Post that two other teams reached out to him after that conversation and that he plans on speaking with the Jets again later on Tuesday. Segal didn’t offer too much insight into how the conversation went.

“We’ve had good communications,” he said.

He wouldn’t disclose the identities of the other two clubs. It has been widely believed that the Redskins are planning to make a serious run at signing Holmes, whose departure would hurt a Jets offense that looked much better once he joined it after serving a four-game suspension last season. The team could also lose Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith as free agents, a situation that would make it hard for Mark Sanchez to take steps toward becoming a more efficient and effective quarterback.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Actually our O looked pretty damn good w/o him w/ the exception of the Baltimore game.

games 1-4: we averaged 27 PPG(that includes the 9 pointer against Bal, the other 3 games we averaged 32 per game)
    games 5-16: we averaged 19 PPG

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

4 game sample vs 12 game sample

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Agreed, all Holmes did in my eyes was completely erase keller from being a factor. Keller looked so good in the Dolphins game and then Holmes came in and we didnt see him much for the rest of the season.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It reminded me of 2009.

The offense got a new toy in Braylon, and it didn't do as well.

At least Holmes was responsible for about 6 game winning catches or catches that led to the next play winning the game.

I think if Holmes comes back, and Sanchez finally has an underneath receiver (Maybe Kerley, but not right away), maybe they can put up 22-24ppg and be a respectable offense.