Jets pass on Brooks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Ahmad Brooks was chosen with the #22 selection of the 3rd round by Cincinnati. The Jets could have had him had they bid a #3 or higher.

I guess the reports from Al Groh to Mangini and Tannenbaum didn't do him well? The guy has 1st round talent, but our FO insists on Smart, Tough players -

gg

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We dont need anymore LB's. that is why they probley didnt take him. He is a thug we dont want thugs on are team. He fits right in with the bengals

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Brooks has great talent but I think hes more Lawrence Philips than Lawrence Taylor

4. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

We don't need any more LB's? A pass rushing DE/LB is exactly what we need in our new defense.

However, seems PFT and others think Brooks is a "Turd."

5. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Whole thing just seems like a waste.

6. JetsYankees

JetsYankees New Member

Ahmad Brooks is a great talent. He also played 4 years in the 3-4, more expierence then anyone we have on the current roster at LB in the 3-4 except for Matt Cassell. Brooks has talent, yes he has issues but those could have been resolved with the right coaching staff. In my mind with 2 2nd round picks next season and a team that is rebuilding, why the hell not use one of those to pick up a guy who has potential to be a really good LB in the league? Doesn't make sense to me and I really wish we would've picked him up. But we didn't so oh well, time to move on.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

"... for a series of off-the-field incidents..."

8. kelly

kelly Banned

imo we did NOT bid/draft him because :

1. character issues
    2. injury issues

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Matt Cassell?

It's Brad Cassell.

n00b.

10. Khan

Khan Active Member

Because I don't like to start or participate in arguments or insults that sometimes go on here, I'll just correct you instead of taking the opportunity to torch you, since it'd be a flame of you who thought you properly flamed someone else. It would've been easier to pass if you hadn't done the noob thing so, here goes...

He's right, the guy with experience in a 3-4 at LB on our team is Matt, except it's Matt Chatham. He mixed him up with the current Patriot Cassel who is that QB who was the backup to Leinart at USC.

Anyway, you're correct that we also obtained the linebacker from Tennesse Brad, well, it's spelled with a K, Kassell. I may be wrong but, I thought they played a 4-3 there the past couple years. I just read an article from the past about Kassell winning the starting job at MLB, and they don't have any other MLBs I can think of who started so, it seems you were wrong on that part as well.

Basically, you both spelled the last names wrong but he was right on the only guy to have true experience in a 3-4 being Matt Chatham, when you thought he meant the other guy we brought in, Kassell. Both mistakes understandable, just thought I'd correct them.

11. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

Brad Cassell?

It's Brad Kassell.

n00b.

:smile: :lol:

Oh, and I believe he was talking about Matt Chatham because I don't believe that Kassell played in the 3-4 in Tennessee, but I'm not fully sure.

12. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

It shouldn't be spelled with a "K". That's just dumb.

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The guy has failed multiple drug tests in college. Drug offenders are always the worst.

It says a lot about a guy who has all the talent in the world and a chance to get a major payday AND attend one of the finest universities in the country and, instead, chooses drugs.

If someone asked you to take a multi-million dollar job at Goldman Sachs on the condition that you simply quit smoking pot, would you do it?

Not only is this guy a clown, but he showed up rather out of shape and his workouts were very underwhelming. I'm glad we've got nothing to do with him.

-X-

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

People who are complaining that we are 'only' taking Mangini guys(smart, tough, not that talented) might want to rethink their position. If you were relatively young compared to your peers and taking over a position of authority would you prefer:

a) Talented hot shot who might see themselves as more important than yourself and can't be counted on to do what you require necessary - no questions asked?

or

b) Solid, consistant individual who can be counted on to trust in your vision and do what is asked with enthusiasm?

Seems clear to me(and most). Have some patience. After the system is in place and locker room leaders are groomed more leeway can be given to signing talented guys with questionable backgrounds. For now though it is career suicide.

15. Young10

Young10 Banned

That would of been a good fit. Hes a monster.

16. JetsYankees

JetsYankees New Member

I meant Matt Chatham, my bad.

n00b? What the hell kind of language is that?

Yeah I may be a "newbie" here, but not on other sites. Sorry for getting a last name wrong for a back-up LB once.:drunk:

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My guess is the Jets also talked to D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Nothing like asking the preacher what he thinks about his ex-teammate.