Steelers take jabs at the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rholt168, Feb 2, 2011.

1. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

ARLINGTON, Tex. — The Steelers may have kept their mouths shut in the run-up to their AFC Championship Game win over the Jets two weeks ago, but Mike Tomlin's team delivered a few verbal salvos at the chattiest team in the league during Super Bowl media day Tuesday.

Pittsburgh wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders praised the Jets for playing the respect card rather than taking the profanity-laced path that highlighted the pregame trash talk in their divisional playoff win over the Patriots. To hear Sanders tell it, Gang Green's decision to keep quiet saved them from a bigger beat-down.

"They were trash-talking to the Patriots," Sanders said. "But we got some guys on this team that if you start talking trash to us, we're going to come out and smack you in the mouth. We have that kind of swagger. Okay, you talk smack. Okay, we're going to bring the 'A' Game."

The Steelers kept the bulletin-board material to a minimum two weeks ago before Tomlin curiously delivered this gem captured by NFL Films in the postgame locker room: "Next time we play these guys, I'm sure it will be personal for them. And that's okay."

The Steelers have ended Rex Ryan's season twice in the last three years. It's no secret that Ryan, who was on the coaching staff of the AFC North rival Ravens for years, has no love lost for Pittsburgh. "It doesn't matter whether he likes us or not," Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. "Playing in this (league), he's going to see us sooner or later. May the best man win."

Like many Jets fans, the Steelers were scratching their heads over Gang Green's sluggish start with a Super Bowl berth at stake. Pittsburgh carved up the Jets' typically stout defense early to jump out to a 24-0 first-half lead in a game the Steelers won, 24-19. Darrelle Revis admitted last week that the Jets were too "relaxed" at the start of the game. "Guys (were) relaxed and didn't know what was at stake," Revis told the NFL Network at the Pro Bowl last week. "That's why we came out so flat."

"We were more prepared," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said. "Why on Earth they made the excuse that they started slow . . . I don't know. I don't know why any team would start slow in the AFC Championship Game. You should be more fired up than any other game. Those guys said they weren't fired up and ready to play. And we thank them for it."

The Steelers players admitted that they don't shy away from yapping on Sundays. They just use discretion by keeping their lips sealed from Monday to Saturday.

"We talk just as much as any other team," Foote said. "We just don't do it through the media. When we get on the field, they hear us chirping. Talking is just part of it. It's fun. But during the week, we don't need to do that. We've been there and done it. We know teams are worried about us."

So, Tomlin's postgame jab at the Jets didn't really surprise his players at all.

"Of course, they're going to come after us next year," Sanders said. "We just knocked them out of the AFC Championship Game. So there's definitely going to be a chip on their shoulder. In my opinion, it's becoming a big-time rivalry."

But they're not too worried about Rex Ryan or the Jets right now. "We have moved on to bigger and better things," Taylor said.

lol Emmanuel Sanders lol

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see any of those defensive players saying anything about how Big Ben saved their asses in the second half. Everyone wants to give credit to the Steelers for the first half, and no criticism for 'sitting back' in the second half, and letting a 2nd year QB almost come back on them in the AFCCG.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I guess Eric Smith didn't hit Sanders hard enough.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thy're about to play in the biggest show on earth and are thinking about us, haha, bless 'em.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Everything they said is true.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

they were lucky to win the game. probably should be more focused on the pack.

7. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Truth --------->

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

THIS...

Is why I find it funny when fans try to take the high road that their team is above it all or how disrespectful some Jets are...

THEY ALL DO IT....

The Patsy's are notorious for it... They let loose at game time and you can even see some clips of them going off with no regards to "respect for the game" or whatever Bullshit their fans want to pretend....

Look at some clips from the Pats / Chargers games and ask youself why the Chargers were so pissed off... Why?? Because when given the chance and when Bellichiks muzzle was off, the Patsy players were the most disrepectful ass bitches in the game....

I find it just as much or more of a farce if you pretend to be above it all when the Microphones are on but, act like even more of an ass when you think no one can hear it...

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

There's nothing to take offence to in that article.

10. Paraphoe

Paraphoe New Member

Agreed. There's really nothing to talk about here.

11. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

You guys started coming back because you started passing the ball more. That goes more against the Steelers weakness.

The Steeler D was more than happy to let you guys Try to run a bit when you were down 24-0. Your time management/playcalling was atrocious especially the 8 minute drive that resulted in practically no points (you did get the safety right after the turnover on downs)

There was no sense of urgency to the team throughout most of that game.

Keep in mind a lot of the Steelers players are carrying over some hatred for Ryan from his Baltimore/rival days.

12. It shouldn't take the other team trash-talking for you to bring out your "A-game."

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Man, I would have loved to see that game in our home with the Steelers having to play that extra game....

IMO, the Jets should have smashed the Steelers anyway but, turn those tables and all this Steeler talk is for Shit....

It's so painful cuz we should have won that game....

I think the Steelers are going to get crushed this week BTW.... The Packers WILL take advantage of that Steeler OL and secondary......

We're going to see this week exactly waht the Jets should have done.

And I don't consider this being bitter homer fan talk or anything... As A FOOTBALL FAN.. The Steeler opponent last game most definitely should have taken advantage of that OL and secondary and did not...

One Pouncy went down, the Jets should have rained hell on the Steelers....

Period.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They won, they can say what they want. I just hate when people are gutless before hand then talk trash after the fact. Tomlin w/ his LR speech after they won is a prime example. I want the Steelers in the same spot next year.

15. The Steelers opened the game on fire, and certainly deserve to be there. I'd like to think that nine days removed from the AFC title game, and the Super Bowl five days away, the Packers might be of a bit more concern, and the Jets old news to them.

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

NO WAY...

I want the Steelers in our home with them having an extra game to play.

Come get some.

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The Steelers?.....FUCK THEM.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Its still hard to explain the AFCCG for me. So I try not to think about it.

19. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Steelers won 3 road games on the way to Super Bowl XL. Nothing they haven't done before.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Beat Cincy after injuring Palmer early, choking Peyton manning and the jake Plummer led Broncos. let's take it easy.