Speculation: Jets can't keep both Holmes & Edwards-NY Post

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

You're insane. It was one thing to ask CP to scale back his salary, its another thing to ask the franchise.

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

It's easy for me to sit here and think I would. To me there isn't much of a difference between going for 14 million to 8-10; I'm going to see that money anyways. Plus, I'd want to win, that's more important than anything. It's a total win-win situation.

3. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Brad Smith is the Franchise QB.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The NFL should have a soft cap like the NBA and allow teams to sign their own FA's.

5. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

the parity in the NBA is quite laughable. No thanks, even if it helps us.

6. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Of course if we had this rule we might not have gotten Edwards, Holmes or Cromartie-they were traded in part because their old teams knew they would be tough resigns.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

No, all those guys wore out their welcome with their respective teams.

8. bibigon

bibigon Member

Well, it's win-lose. Better chance of winning, less money.

9. bibigon

bibigon Member

Fair enough, but the NBA's salary cap is insane compared to the NFL's. Lets not go down that road.

10. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Their personality conflicts with their old teams were factors but I'm sure their contract situations were also. It's not either/or; both contract and personality were surely factors.

11. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Down the road, in longer term or in bogus guarantees.

12. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Presumably Sanchez could move, say, 6 million in 2011 salary to a 6 million roster bonus and spread that out over 2011-2013, decreasing his 2011 cap hit by 4 million by increasing his 2012 and 2013 cap hits by 2 million each here. Something like that I could see.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Eh we'll never know, but in the cases of Edwards and Holmes I don't think the contract had a thing to do with it. Holmes was loved in Pittsburgh after 2008 and even in 2009 he had a big year. But then he got in trouble for his twitter comments and the Steelers were in the midst of a PR crisis with the Big Ben stuff.

Edwards was a douchebag in Cleveland.

Cro may have been a contractual issue, I don't think he was that much of a nuisance there (just a bad fit football wise) and the Chargers got pretty much fair market value for him.

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

This is how i feel too. It would be a setback to get rid of develping chemistry. But,the almighty dollar...

15. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

It's a "can't or won't" kind of call I think. Ordinarily you'd never invest as much in your WRs as keeping both of these guys plus Cotchery (and eventually Keller) if you self-identify as a running football team. When you've got Aaron Rodgers, you put some talent around him. When you've got Chris Johnson, you invest in blockers.

The only reason you consider keeping both guys, really, is to protect your quarterback, give him as much support and shelter from criticism as you can. It's a nice thing to be able to do, but eventually your quarterback has to grow up and do it himself. Even if Holmes leaves, spending that fifth rounder for this season was probably worth it, in terms of helping push forward Sanchez's development.

I could definitely see Sanchez giving up a few dollars, a token amount, to help sign both, because I'm sure he understands the tremendous benefit to him. It's probably worth a million dollars just to keep your face off the back page after a loss one time a year. If having both players is the difference between mediocrity and bringing a Super Bowl to New York, giving up ten million over four years to make it happen would probably be a solid financial decision.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't mind if the Jets went into next season with Edwards, Cotchery, and Smith. More touches for both backs, Edwards provides a reliable and fairly safe deep threat, and hopefully Sanchez, in his third year, would be ready to be a more consistent playmaker on his own.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Sanchez will restructure. Restructuring doesn't mean losing money. And if he ends up being the QB we all think he's going to be, he's going to end up making close to $200 million over his career just through his contracts, and more through endorsements...especially if he gets the Jets to the promise land.

17. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Yep. And why wouldn't he? He'll see that money anyways in a few years, and it's not like he's going down to a terrible salary. And that'll entice Tanny to re-sign both WR's. It's a win-win.

18. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He'd actually see that money this year under my scenario. I assume he'd be ok doing something like that.

Still probably not enough to get both WRs.

The problem is that every time you do a deal like that you're just piling up obligations that you have to pay sometime-in this case you're moving 4 million from 2011 and splitting it between 2012 and 2013. So then Sanchez has a 16 million cap number next year and a 12 million number in 2013.

19. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Oops, I should've read it more thoroughly.

It does pile up, but it seems every year there is someone that is willing to restructure, which makes everyone fit, based on their performance the year prior. AT least in Tanny's reign anyway.

That's the great thing about cap numbers. They are never static, and Tanny realizes that.

20. BostonSports

BostonSports New Member

I agree that you guys should try to keep both. Make things easier for Mark