Mangini on a mission: Jets' rookie coach readies for takeoff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the "backing into the Playoffs" thing is debatable.

but along with what you said, i also was fully irked by his stubborn refusal to give younger guys a shot; that is, his pledged loyalty to the the vets, when the younger players may have outperformed the older ones, though we'll never know by now. the lamont jordan issue is a prime example -- as a 1-2 punch, Jordan was actually a threat when he subbed in for Martin.

it's weird, because i used to love Herm. but his scharades (sp?) got old rather quickly, most notably when we weren't improving in areas we should have.

cheers

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He was and still is a terrible evaluator of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Anyone remember the training camp of 2002? When Herman Edwards said, "Chad just needs to play loose"...

The same year where Vinny played awful and eventually gave way to Chad who dominated the same year he needed to play "looser"...Nice call Herman.

There were a few things Herman Edwards was good at, but in my honest to God opinion I don't think Herman Edwards is a super bowl coach nor will he ever be. He will never beat a team with his mind. He is a terrible in game coach and should be an assistant like he was at Tampa.

3. 4-12 Forever

4-12 Forever New Member

excellent point and i totally agreee. we got pummeled last year in KC becauee we were unprepared. this team has talent and should be able to at least be competetive, if not successful.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Actually it's not debatable at all.

Considering:

2001 : We lost to a pathetic Bills team then needed a 52 yd FG from John Hall to Beat Oakland in week 17 to make the playoffs

2002 : While it was a great season after the 2-5 start. But we were completely unprepared and unmotivated vs. Chicago and we still needed New England to beat Miami or Atlanta to beat Cleveland then STILL needed to beat Green Bay to make the playoffs

2004 : We lost to a St. Louis Rams team who was clearly not our equal that year when we NEEDED to win to make the playoffs. Luckily Pitt beat Buffalo.

That's backing into the playoffs all 3 times we went. Now don't get me wrong, I was excited as anyone we made the playoffs (except maybe in 2004 because it was pathetic we lost to St. Louis, but I was excited again the following weekend when kickoff vs. San Diego was nearing). but we were lucky to make the playoffs those years.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

As they say the proof is in the pudding so we will see if he is thinking ahead & can make snap decisions & manage the game come game 1. Until then it is just a wait & see game to determine exactly what Man abilities are.

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

wow, champ... this may be the most unbiased post you've ever made; it doesn't resonate with pessimism as usual.

are you turning a new leaf, or just growing senile?

cheers

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

ROTFLMAO! After DUH HERM , ERIC has looked like a ROCKET SCIENTIST! The CHAMP probably will agree to that too! I sure as heck do!

8. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I had to do a double-take as well when I first read it.

9. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Theres a first time for everything.