Jets vs. Patriots discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Jan 8, 2011.

1. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Are you a pimp? Not a pimp like snoop dog. A pimp as in you manage hookers like the tranny in your avatar?

I mean no disrespect.

2. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

By a jets fan on one of the forums. I only checked pats IR not Jets. Was about 4 weeks ago and they were stating how things would change when he would be back.

3. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I have.

[​IMG]

4. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

That's a playboy model from New England

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

LOL, I hope that wasn't this forum. It was widely acknowledged that he wasn't be back during the season. I think there was a glimmer of hope he'd be able to return for the postseason but he was placed on IR I think before the game even.

6. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

CLASSIC, too funny

7. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

Well I think i was here and I was thinking Al Michaels brought it up prior but all the ladies were chatting too loud while us guys wanted to watch the game.

8. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

You're right, I screwed up. What's a better word? Gear? Yeah that's the ticket. Jets gear?

9. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

IF Mark is on? Pats offense is superior and Mankins tossed your D around like raggetty anne dolls last time. Pats have so many ways of getting someone open with serious great options.

Pats defense can be suspect IF you get a 2 touchdown lead. But how did 45-3 happen? Jets need to maul brady with alot more than 2 sacks and win the turnovers. If jet's can make that all happen, hit all their fieldgoals, score 7's and not 3s then it should be a great game. But we take them out the same way we did with 45-3. Open open and open.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Oh....well he's on IR so that's that.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Because you have Branch in your playoffs fantasy league?

On a serious note, I think the pros and cons add up and leave the Jets making this decision because slowing Welker off the line, which Revis does best, takes Welker out of timing routes.

Cro I think should be better matched against Branch, but I would not be surprised to see lots of zone coverage with Revis man covering WW.

12. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

If the Jets can establish enough of a running game to allow Sanchez to make some nice short and medium completions that would work for the Jets. Wouldn't people be almost shocked if that WASN'T the Jets offensive game plan?

I still think the Patriots receivers will get open and make catches. I think the key will be limiting the Patriots YAC to keep the Patriots from making any sustained drive. I think the Pats will mix in the run as well.

I think it's obvious that both sets of receivers will need to catch the ball when it comes their way.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Even if Sanchez is on, he is likely to make a bonehead throw or two that we can translate into turnovers.

As far as your WRs agains our DBs:

McCourty will take either Edwards or Holmes, and I don't expect he will give up too much.

Arrington/Butler against the other will be a mismatch in your favor, but usually they are the one to get safety help which makes them look better, and if Sanchez tries to force that option, more chances for turnovers.

Keller worries me a little bit, but as you said you guys never seem to use him, and historically we do well covering TEs (week 2 aside).

Basically I like our secondary depth #3CB (butler/arrington), Merriweather, Sanders (who has been an unheralded hero for us this year) better than anything you guys have behind Revis and Cromartie.

It is not an IDEAL matchup, because you guys do have good talent at every offensive skill position... but if it turns into a scoring battle, I think most of us still like NE to win.

14. Adventitia

Adventitia Member

Seriously?
    Ok. First off, the burden of proof is on the Jets to prove that they can win. Referencing week 2 is not sufficient.
    The teams playing in week 2 vs 13 were totally different.
    The Pats, at least were with Moss, without Mankins or Branch, Welker was still healing and tons of rookies were in their 2nd ever NFL game.
    The defense went from bottom of the pile to #8 or in pts/g, #11 in rush yds/g while still in the lower 3rd in passing yards per game against.

If you want to talk match-ups, the patriots offense as currently constructed is designed to match up against the Jets defense. The Jets want to take out the 1 or 2 best receivers from the opponent, but the Pats have diversity in their receivers with Welker, Branch, Gronk, Hernandez, with woodhead coming out of the backfield. You will probably say that the Jets should "Hit brady", but the Jets aren't the sack monsters that they were last year. They only have 4 more sacks over the course of the year than the Pats do. The Pats O line is playing great right now too. It really shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to believe that the Pats offense matches up with the Jets defense.

As far as the Pats D vs the Jets O I think you have a point that if Sanchez has an awesome game that they will give the Pats a hard time. I don't know how much stock to put in the last game, but Sanchez was incredibly inaccurate. If he has another game like that the patriots will have 2 or 3 INTs. However Sanchez has had amazing games (like the one vs the Pats in week 2) so we know he can do it. If he can't, and the jets go to straight "ground and pound" then you are going against the strength of the patriots defense with Wilfork, Mayo and Spikes. I think the Jets will have success, but to win with just the ground game they will need a MONSTER running game, and LT isn't known to be a postseason monster. You have to remember that the patriots lead the league in points per drive (at 2.9) so to keep up the Jets will have to average a field goal on EVERY drive. A difficult feat when going strength against strength.

All in all I give the Jets about a 1 in 4 chance which I think you should be happy with considering you are 9 point dogs in vegas in an away playoff game.

#1034 Adventitia, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

honestly I don't think our run defense is quite as stout as you make it sound (especially with D-line injuries), but I agree that it would be ridiculously tough to beat us by being one-dimensional in any way.

I expect them to have decent success running the ball, but all it takes is for a couple of those drives to stall... then their running game becomes a liability because of time.

16. Adventitia

Adventitia Member

Sorry if I made the Pats D sound unbeatable, that's not what I meant. I said they are #11 in rush yards per game which is about where I would put them. I was just saying that the run D is the stouter part of the Pats defense. Also, as you say, once a team becomes one dimensional they are much easier to stop.

Thanks for making my point much more succinctly.

#1036 Adventitia, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Obviously you're not gonna beat anybody in the NFL being one dimensional, especially one dimensional running the ball, but the Jets offense needs to be centered around running the ball simply because the more time the ball is in Sanchez' hands, the less time it's in Brady's hands. The thing is we can't dominate T.O.P and come out empty handed, need points specifically touchdowns

18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I totally agree! I think the Jets have an outstanding line and 3 very good to great linemen. I was never dissing them.

I just think as a unit, the Pats O'Line plays as well or better. I also think the Pats are a little deeper and can stand not having one of their best out for periods of time.

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I was just responding to an earlier post that said other than QB and coach, the Jets were superior in every other area.

Was not trying to cause a stir. There are enough of those on here this week.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And that is the probably the worst pic of her on the interwebz.