Should the Giants fire Coughlin?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 3, 2011.

?

Should the Giants fire Coughlin?

1. Yes - Those meltdowns were inexcusable

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No -You don't fire a coach who won 10 games

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He finished 10-6, but had some terrible meltdowns.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Yes. Only so Cowher takes the job instead of going to Miami

I like beer.

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I completely agree with Mara's reasoning for keeping Coughlin. Motivation and schematics weren't the Giants problem, so it doesn't make sense to make the coach the scapegoat. The Giants didn't have the horses to begin with, then they got devastated by injuries, and they still won 10 games. Firing Coughlin would be foolish.

4. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Though I understand the reasoning why they are going to keep him; with the exception of the year they won the Super Bowl, the Giants have had a late season meltdown while Coughlin was their head coach. Now if this isn't the coaches fault, then exacty where does the blame lie?

5. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

well this year's was pretty epic. i'm sure if next season repeats itself there won't be much discussions about another contract.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Looks like a Super Bowl buys you 4-5 years....

I heard they wanted to keep him AND extend him...

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Coughlin is a reasonably good head coach, but I certainly don't think he's great. Ultimately you probably don't fire him because of the risk of getting someone worse who sets the team back, but the fact is that other than a magical postseason run (when he was about to be fired), he's done very little as coach of the Giants that is particularly noteworthy or praiseworthy. He's also clearly not the long-term future of the team.

NFL teams are notoriously afraid of change, so it's not a big surprise that he'll be back.

8. Dan

Dan Member

I think Cowher is going to Carolina.

9. I Come in peace

I Come in peace New Member

Coughlin has had one losing season in his entire time here and that was 2004, when he was ridding the team of the Fassel garbage and breaking in a rookie QB on what really was not a very good team. He has 2 div titles, 2 other playoff appearances and a 10-6 season where his team was one of only 17 since 1978 to miss the post season with double digit wins. If the theory in the NFL is to have a chance every year, well then Coughlin has done his job.

As for this seasons "collapse" they did go 3-2 in their last 5 games. There are plenty of teams that are playing next week that did not finish the last 5 games at 3-2. What they did not do is win the games they had to win, either the Philly game or the Packers game. Take any team, any season and ask them to sign for 10 wins and most will take it every year, this year unfortunately its not enough. I look it at like this, in 2006 they made the playoffs at 8-8 so really its sort of payback.

Coughlin should not be fired, who should be is the special teams coach Tom Quinn and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. His schemes have run their course and its time for a change in the constant vertical downfield passing attack that many times Wrs and QB are not on the same page.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I vote no because who's available that's better than Coughlin? I don't think Cowher is coaching again

12. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't think you can hold Coughlin responsible because a lot of this was player error. The Giants turned it over an obscene amount this season.

If this were a young team making these mistakes you could understand it, but we're talking about a Super Bowl champion quarterback and running backs. These guys have been in the league too long for the coach to be held accountable.

I think the Giants will be scary next season with a healthy Steve Smith and what will now be a very solid draft pick.

-X-

13. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

It's the Giants' policy to never let a coach enter the final year of his contract. They don't like lame duck coaches and, apparently, never have.

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't understand the ire towards Coughlin. 10-6 is a good record, and Coughlin had nothing to do with the 41 turnovers they committed. That, above all, was their undoing.

It's very hard to find good game coaches, and the Giants have one. Is he perfect? No, but you could hire Mike Singletary.

-X-

15. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Coughlin's a faggot

16. Makia

Makia Banned

Absolutely.

Giants had annual collapses under him, and they always underachieve.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I don't get this argument--did the Giants underachieve when they won the freaking Super Bowl?

When you look at the Giants roster, especially considering their injuries, do you really see more than a 10 win team? With the exception of the 4th quarter against Philly, I don't think that the Giants underachieved--I just don't think that they were an elite team. 10-6 was a good year for that group of players.

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I think it's very safe to say that this team underachieved when you consider the level of talent that they have. Having said that, they were decimated by injuries at 2 key positions on offense.

19. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i agree. the giants have great talent everywhere. the stats don't always tell the story, but this time they do. the turnovers + a record of 10-6 is ridiculous. with all those turn overs you would think the giants would be a 6-10 team. the giants can, and were outstanding at the end of 2007, and 2008(til the plax bullshit). no idea what the fuck has happened to them, and it's mind boggling how they turned the ball over all year.

btw: wondering your opinion on the jets this year, and if you are rooting for them.

i admit i'am a giants hater..BUT only because certain giants fans drive me insane with the hate they show the jets..(im sure you feel the same with some jets fans)

20. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Makes no sense to can a guy in the face of a lockout. The new coach wont really be able to do anything year one. Especially if they lose the entire pre-season.

The Giants have a losing record late in the year at home. Even the superbowl year they lost their last 3 home games.

One year is a fluke.
    Two is a coincidence.
    Three is a trend.

Sooner or later that has to reflect on the head coach.