4th quarter Third and 3 call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AbdulSalam, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was angry at the time, but after a day I am not. They went for the win, you can't blame Schotty for that. After years and years of conservative play costing us big late season games (even vs. Pitt in playoffs) to attempt to just win it there is something you have to respect.

Plus hindsight is 20/20. Of course Pittsburgh wouldnt have been able to take that timeout to regroup after that sack and pick up that 3 and 27, but how the hell is schotty supposed to know they would eventually be in that situation? Its Schotty's fault they picked up a ridiculous 3 and 27 in their own end????

You want to be mad at any playcalling be mad at Rex and his defense. Since when did the Jets Defense become the pansy play on the heels defense we used to see. The pansy prevent defensive calls almost cost us the game. Thank god they called a timeout and elected to play their normal defense when Pittsburgh got to the 10 yard line but it coulda been too late!!!

2. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

i would've loved to see brad smith in the wildcat on that play. he's usually good for at least 3 yards.

3. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

In retrospect we should have ran it, and I saw Santonio open as well that could have gone for extra yards but it wouldn't have mattered. We had an inelligible receiver downfield on that play so even a completion would have backed us up.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I agree w/you WSW. I thought the 3/3 call was retarded too but its interesting that other folks were okay with that pass play. I wanted to run the ball for 3 yds and force Pitt to use the TO.

I am also w/you on the penalty w/47 seconds left. I would have backed them up.

But hey we all can't be Bill Walsh - hopefully the CS will study their decisions and see where they can make improvements going forward Or maybe I'm just wrong on both counts.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I was a little aggravated when we declined that penalty. I really didn't care about the extra down ... especially since extra plays take extra time off the clock. They needed to get into the enzone to beat us, and as far as I'm concerned the farther away they were, the better.

6. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Weren't we complaining that last week he was too predictable? He mixed it up and tried to be less predictable. I'm OK with that. I would have liked a completion to keep the clock running but he tried to keep the steelers guessing. Which is good.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I just didnt like how Sanchez was in the shotgun I believe. If you are going to pass, do a play action pass. It PA pass probably had a better chance than a shotgun.

Or they could have set up in shotgun and did a draw play.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I agree with this analysis completely. On 3rd and 3 all that matters is getting the first down--if Schotty and Rex believed that they had a better chance of getting it through the air, I trust their judgment. Maybe it would've been better to go play action there, but whatever. You have to trust your defense to stop Pittsburgh from going 95 yards for the touchdown in that situation.

And I definitely had a problem with passing on second and 5. That was where we should've run under any circumstances.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's what I want to see on 3rd and short as well.

Its always shotgun on 3rd and short and teams know how to gameplan for it. It seems to barely work.

Let him be under center and give the defense something else to play against rather than pinning their ears back.

The call is still wrong because no matter what the gain or loss on that play, the idea is to burn time. How the fuck do you hand them an extra timeout? You have to burn clock no matter what, even if the run play went for minus 6, you have to burn time.

I will say this though, the draw play on 3rd and 4 was brilliant, because not one person watching that game expected it. Schotty never runs draws.

10. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

I loved the call because they were trying to win the game, but it was a little predictable. They should have spread them out and run a draw, or run playaction out of the unbalanced line, run a play that goes against the tendency of a formation.

#50 10nyjets87, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think it was to speculative to look ahead and guess whether the Steelers would really need the time out they would have burned if the Jets ran the ball. I liked the aggression. The Jets were doing what they thought was the most likely way to get the first down. Running on third and three against that D was not all that promising. There had been several running plays tried earlier in the half that had failed o get even 3 yards.

It's not as black and white as some here seem to think.

#51 Big Blocker, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sure it is. 10 times out of 10 you want to force your opponent to use there last timeout or the 2 minute warning there. We were beginning to wear down there front 7 and pickup good gains on the ground. Run was the easy, smart call.

If you want to pass, please do it under center with play action and have Nacho boot so he has one read and if it's not open he runs. It was an elementary situation that was handled poorly. Aggression is nice, but you have to use it wisely. I would consider that play call reckless and unnecessary aggression.

13. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

good play call, just didn't get it done

14. Revis Is Here24

Revis Is Here24 New Member

I wouldve ran in that situation. We had some success with some of those trick run plays.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I hated that call only because you're relying on your #3 to make the correct read/call.

Sanchez, like Stanton, should have ate the ball.

16. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

running wouldn't have done any good. if we didn't get the first down the clock stops for change of possession anyway i thought.

im ok with the call. besides, we won. fuck em.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It was 3rd down, not 4th.

18. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

blah yeah my bad i misread the title. numbers switched.

19. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Conversely I thought the call to throw it on 2nd down was awful. Maybe my feelings escalated because sanchez essentially threw the ball away, but I thought there was no way you do not run the ball there. On third down you are more in a situation to try and convert so I didn't mind it as much. The only reason I can see you throwing on 2nd down is because they wouldn't expect as they did on 3rd down, but I think you had to run the ball on at least one of the plays to burn out some clock.

Great avatar by the way, hilarious!

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

incomplete pass stops the clock,a run makes them use a TO. besides,we were running ok during that drive and had momentum.