Jets’ Swagger and Offense Appear Lost

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Blocker, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I believe the biggest issue w/ the offense is a lack of confidence with Sanchez. When your QB lacks confidence...it becomes a landslide very quickly. First there are turnovers, then other players start to lose confidence,the coaching staff starts to lose confidence till finally anything other than a 3 and out is percieved as a miracle.

What's the solution? I think for this situation it's pretty simple. 2 things need to happen and this offense is back to putting up a decent amount of points..What's interesting is these 2 factors greatly affect one another.

1. O-line needs to go back to being dominant- Punish the opposing line of scrimmage, give Sanchez time to look downfield, and let Greene/LT break acouple big ones

2. Sanchez needs to complete acouple long passes. This will get his recievers in a rythym, open up running lanes, and give him the confidence to ste up in the pocket and make a play.

Win the line of scrimmage and keep defenses honest w/ thier deep coverage. That is the key to getting back on track.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In general, your point 2 depends to a large extent on accomplishing point 1. Yeah, you can certainly try to throw it out there anyway, but the D has to be playing up to increase the odds of a completion.

So let's look at 1 - imo despite the criticisms the Jets have been trying to run the ball, and rely on their OL. It hasn't worked very well, as Ryan himself noted.

And despite the points raised above, concerning the overall scheme of the O, that doesn't change that the OL has just not been effective lately. Shocking, really. In recent years we've become accustomed to an effective OL. Problems have been elsewhere. This year? The OL, too. It's probably about as depressing as anything else going on, even if comparatively the OL at worst is no worse than average.

In other words, I don't know how you can achieve 1 as the starting point upon which to build everything else.

So, maybe they should go big play, down the field. Especially if you look at the stats comparing Pitt's run D with their pass D.

3. i agree,The biggest key is definitely the Ol getting back on track. I gotta say though...I don't think the Ol has performed poorly all year or even for a whole game. Theyve had plenty of games this year in which they whole heartedly have won the battle in the trenches...and recently have had many plays in which they have gotten a good push and given Sanchez time to look down field.

Right now they just struggle w/ consistency and can often be very sloppy. When you're facing 8-9 man fronts against the run and blitzing on passing downs, you can't have lapses in gap assignments or technique..which is what we have seen. They need to get back to their "ground and pound" mentality whih included smart,technically sound play to equal the physical talent they have.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That's backwards.

The way defenses prepare for this team is by stacking the LOS.

You don't fix that by going deep or running. That plays into the defense.

You combat that by spreading the field wide. And completing quick hitters coming to the middle while the defense is running outside. (i.e slants, rollouts, whatever)

When the defense widens, then you can run inside, or sweep, leaving half the d in the literal backfield, or go downtown because you have isolation.

Schotty does not spread the field wide, like NE, Indy, or Philly and it's precisely why we struggle.

6. Jetsfaninva

Jetsfaninva New Member

rex... please.. save our season and fire the OC

he is crappy..
    with all the talent we have, i cant believe we are struggling in offense...
    comeon

7. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

you need to change your avatar...marone

8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

You are undoubtedly a dick, but a lot of what you say is in fact legitimate - especially about shutting up and making plays and eliminating mistakes. That's discipline, and that's on the coaching staff.

9. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

The offense is incredibly predictable, the key to winning any battle is deception,, if the enemy doesn't know what the fuck your going to do, then they'll be on their toes the entire time. That's why Sean Payton and Andy Reid are so successful, now maybe Schotty has to take more chances, make complex formations, or something just dont be so damn predictable

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Deception alone does not make a sound offensive strategy. If that was ever the case, we would be drooling over Schotty's cute plays.

2. Then what is important? It is important to have legitimate threat which warrants the defenses' adjustments. The threat should real and strong enough to force defenses to adjust. Jets run offense is, in that regard, strong enough - in that if the defense does not load up the box, they will lose out on that.

Now, the problem is that, Jets do not have a legitimate threat on the other end - defenses are loading up the box with reckless abandon, and Jets passing attack is not punishing the defense enough to force them to back off. Between Jets passing attack and rushing attack, which do you think presents more serious threat? Jets passing attack presents a threat of water pistol's dangerousness, in all seriousness.

3. I just don't understand why Jets are not utilizing more of I-formation. If at all, I rarely saw a Jet receiver clearing out the defenders - and another receiver lurking into the zone just swept clean by the split end. (Watch how Patriots use picks and clear outs. Their receivers create space not by individual talents alone, but with huge help from the schemes they run.) If anything, Tomlinson will be able to do very well in the shallow zone, cleared by either Edwards or Holmes. Especially if Keller is drawing a double team from the LBs, Tomlinson should be able to get at least 5-6 yards per pass attempt.

11. ex-jetsfan

ex-jetsfan New Member

I really think it all starts with the offensive line. Once it gives Sanchez some more protection, the plays will start happening. Plus, the receivers need to stop dropping the ball. There's only so much that Brian can do from the sidelines.

I remember Pats fans complaining about Bill O'Brien last year and at the beginning of the season. Look where they are at now.

It really all starts with the players.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

it's not so much egos, it's playing (or not playing) with extreme urgency.

wonderful things happen when a gifted player plays with extreme urgency (check out our last second come backs).

but when you see our stars (keller, cotchery, holmes) drop easy passes, some for td's, you have to wonder.

how else can you explain a player like keller who can dominate a game one week then run sloppy routes and drop passes the next?

sometimes they're on fire but sometime they're not, and this seems ok with them because there are other stars who can cover them up.

if every player played with extreme urgency, like they were the only star on the team, no one could touch us. ever.

13. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Theres where your wrong. The Running backs are both phenomenal but the O-Line hasn't been their former selves. Did you see Shonn Greene in the playoffs last year? That when the offensive line is good. Sanchez is a second year QB.

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Lol. Rex is too large and Schotty to woman-like and petite.

That would end very badly.