I'm not convinced the guy tripped the Dolphins player (Suspended W/O Pay For Season)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaZeus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

right.. so the guy lied to his superiors, he should be canned. but the public outrage -or at least perceived outrage in the media- about the wall is ridiculous imo. i don't get that part of it.

look, i'm not saying its ok. the whole thing is disgraceful. but they're standing in the area that hte league allows them to stand in. which happens to be outside the realm of the playing surface. if he was running in bounds - which i realize sometimes is too much to ask, but really its what's supposed to happen- this isn't an issue. now please don't confuse that as me placing blame on the fins player. not hte case. but the wall?!!? they're standing where they are allowed to stand. if they want to stand on their heads over there... fine with me.

#321 theBidet, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Is there an NFL rule that says you can't stand next to each other on the sidelines and not get out of the way of an opposing player who runs off the field and is running up the sidelines? Ive never heard of such a rule so I'm just wondering if there is one. To me the sidelines have always been a place where opposing players shouldn't be running up the field. Not really blaming the fin player - but i'm not sure what he was doing either.

If Alosi said something that wasn't true about what he did or said - then that would be a basis to further his suspension pending a complete investigation. But I'd be interested to know if standing in a line on the sidelines is somehow against the rules.

3. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I see what you are saying ... you are right. If no trip had occurred, nothing would be said about this "wall" ... even if that was the intention, nobody would question it because nothing happened.

but the fact that Alosi did it makes it look worse and more "planned."

I think it's kinda like a "means justify the ends" type thing. He trips him - all the details come out and make it look kinda bad; if he doesn't trip him, nothing is said.

4. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I don't care if the coaches climb on top of each other and form a human pyramid... if they are not on the white line it shouldn't even be an issue. The media is only making a fuss about this b/c its the Jets.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Ya i just don't get what the big deal is. "Okay everybody stand in a line on the return so that douche doesn't try to run up our sidelines again" . So what? They were standing in a legal area to be standing. I mean hell, if somebody is in the box and an opposing out of bounds players runs into him or runs him over (happens all the time) nobody cares or even says much. Its just part of football.

as an aside - the real old time NFlers that are still alive like art donovan must be howling at this... i mean this is pretty much schoolgirl stuff compared to what used to occur on NFL/AFL sidelines. Opposing players that dared to run in there were not infrequently tripped, punched and stomped. No penalties were ever called. That was just part of the game. Its kind of funny to see how much it has changed in large part due to TV.

#325 AbdulSalam, Dec 15, 2010
  6. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Better put an asterisk next to that Week 2 Super Bowl win if Alosi planned this every week.

Seriously though, there is a line they have to stand behind and that's it. Everyone knows that gunners run as wide as they can to gain a competitive advantage. It should be common sense to stand a bit farther back on punts so nobody gets hurt.

Alosi is just another Hofstra juicehead so he can't be the guy behind this. Westhoff is also acting irresponsible by accusing other teams of doing it. If you look at his quote, he says that the Patriots do it, but at the same time he doesn't look at other teams' sidelines. What gives? It's pretty funny(and at the same time pretty sad) that the Jets are so obsessed with the Patriots that they have to accuse them of doing it.

7. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

#327 34miami23, Dec 15, 2010
  8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Since when was "nobody gets hurt" the objective of a football game? If we wanted nobody to get hurt we wouldn't be playing football.

Whether or not you think its common sense to stand in a different place, the point is that other teams do the same thing and most importantly: its not against the rules. If you decide to run up somebody's sidelines, don't be surprised if you run into somebody standing on the fng sidelines.

9. davebgray

davebgray New Member

While technically allowed to stand there, people on the sidelines are required by NFL rule to avoid intentional contact. So, they have to try to get out of the way and not impede with the play.

Rule 13-1-8: Non-player personnel of a club (e.g., management personnel, coaches, trainers, equipment men) are prohibited from making unnecessary physical contact with or directing abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures at opponents, game officials, or representatives of the League.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

In Sals defense, that idiot Nolan fell down like he was shot by a bullet. Talk about a huge acting job. He came right back in a few plays later and played the rest of the game. Nolan made light of the situation ONLY to make the Jets look bad and he was successful.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There is no defense for what he did. It was stupid and there's really no place for it in the game. What Sal did made the Jets look bad, not how the player reacted.

12. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

whether he was legitimately hurt or not ... Alosi embarrassed the Jet organization with the way he tried to casually poke his knee out without being noticed.

there is no defending what he did and pretty much everyone agrees. and now that he did it, the Jets will suffer from the media overexagerrating and reliving the issue day after day.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Right, so you can't stick your leg out to impede somebody. But you can stand behind the white line and if somebody runs up the sidelines and bangs into you - thats not a rule violation, its called standing on the sidelines.

14. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I don't recall what Dolphins game it was a couple weeks ago ... but there was a kickoff in which the opposing team's player got angled out of bounds right into Vernon Carey I think ... and he just stood there and didn't move. The guy runs into him with his whole body and just falls over without Carey really even flinching.

AND WE GET A PENALTY FOR THAT!

Alosi stuck his knee out ... how can you defend that?

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He did but the way he and Dan Foutz made light of the situation is only reason it has gotten so much attention. Similar stuff im sure has happened before of where the gunner may just look back and keep going. The NBA-like acting job was a joke in itself. I dont think the wall they made is a big deal at all, but to stick out his knee was the only thing entirely wrong about his actions.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I have to wonder if the people making these types of comments have ever sprinted before. When your running full speed any little bump can throw you way off, especially one that is to your legs. Was he all that hurt from the contact? I have no idea but anyone that thinks the fall was an act should go outside and let someone push them after they have gone into a full sprint.

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the witchhunt continues for the N.Y JETS. First , all the unnecessary drama involving the reporter early in the season, now from what I heard someone from ESPN say, the "Trip Gate" :rofl2: ... The NFL didnt just leave everything alone but investigated further and thats how they fount out the S&C coach instructed others to form a wall. Now, even though he said no one else was involved, others believe that wasnt the case, that someone higher up (Rex Ryan/Mike Westhoff) knew about it and obviously went along with it.

So, more unnecessary drama involving the N.Y JETS and of all times when the team is struggling to find a win.

18. dorotheajn

dorotheajn New Member

It is a dangerous thing to do because both the person on the sideline and the gunner can get hurt.

Case point - Saints gunner C. Roby has been involved in 2 incidents this season. The first time he hit an official on the sideline during a punt. The official suffered a fractured skull and spend weeks in hospital.

The second time (last weekend) Roby suffered a severe concussion and was carried from the field and spend a couple of days in hospital.

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Well, FWIW, we played better earlier in the season with drama.
    Now we can go 3-0 to finish and then hope a team member does something stupid to get us to the SB.

20. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I think they should suspend and fine the Miami player for running out of bounds a deliberately running into our coaches' knee.