A wild card playoff birth may be better for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 10nyjets87, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Look at all our losses this season, and you will see that they have come after a long period of time to prepare. Against Baltimore we had an entire offseason to prepare, Packers we had the bye week, and this butt whooping by the Patriots we had ten days to prepare. This could mean nothing, but at the same time it can mean a lot. You can blame schottenheimer for not getting the offense prepared or Rex not getting the defense and team prepared, but I believe that those three losses came down to one thing on offense and that was Mark Sanchez thinking rather than playing. When the kid doesn't overthink the gameplan and just goes out and trusts his coaching and natural ability he plays great, but when he overthinks and overprepares that is when we tailspin. I believe the coaching staff will recognize this and help him grow, but this is obvious evidence that Sanchez is nowhere near to being an elite quarterback anytime soon. If the Jets can make the wildcard spot, get hot and in a rythm that could be enough to create a superbowl run and once we are in that spot anything can happen despite the two week layover.

On defense I just wanted to make a note that although we got totally schalacked and embarrassed , but that this may have actually been a good thing if we have to go back to foxboro in order to advance in the playoffs. This was obviously a different Patriot team without Moss and the defense wasn't sure on how exactly they would be attacked although they had a good idea. This game film although probally tough to watch for the Jets could be the great learning points that get us past the pats in the playoffs. Make the adjustments for a potential playoff rematch and be prepared for this different Patriot offense come playoff time. :jets:

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I don't care how poorly we've played in situations with extra rest. There is no way in hell you're gonna convince me we're better off not getting any break from the regular to the postseason, especially since we have banged up guys like Cotchery, Woody, Dig, etc., and playing at home. At some point we need to overcome that hurdle.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, not true. Having to win 2 games, instead of 3, to get to a Super Bowl is definitely preferred. And to likely play those games at home? Even better.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

To me, rest for guys like Cotchery/Woody/etc is actually much less important than simply having to get through two games instead of 3 to reach the superbowl. It's hard enough to beat two AFC playoff teams at home, but to have to beat three AFC playoff teams (most likely all on the road) is just such a drag for a team that might be 12-4 or even 13-3

5. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

We need to overcome that hurdle there is no doubt about it, but their is proof in this season that at this point in Sanchez's career he hasn't figured it out. Of course you want the rest for those guys who are banged up with a bye week, but what does that all mean if we lose 9-0 10-9 or 45-3 in our playoff game. twelve points in three losses!!

6. Namathfan

Namathfan New Member

You must still be drunk from last nite. Three games and all on the road. Christ if it was so good nobody would play for 1st place in any division.

7. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

We were two quarters away from the superbowl last year with all our playoff games on the road. There is no doubt that a bye plus two home playoff games would normally be 1000 times better. But you got to look at our three losses and how they have all came when we had too much time to prepare.

The road to the superbowl will never be an easy one, but the best way for the Jets may be the once least traveled.

8. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Nope. First round bye + Home Field = decent odds of reaching the SB. #5/6 seed + having to win 3 games on the road = long shot to make it past round 2.

I understand that we almost got it done last year. Expecting to do it 2 years in a row is somewhat farfetched.

None of the playoff scenarios will matter until the Jets get their shit together and figure out how to beat a good team.

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

OP- you're not selling anyone on this theory. We had the same thing pop up this morning and the thread vanished after a few hours....

10. Adventitia

Adventitia Member

Isn't a simpler answer to correct the preparation during the inactive stretches?? Fewer games on a road to the super bowl is a good thing. Playing at home is a good thing. Don't let the results from 1 season cloud what you know to be true.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

There's no way a wild card playoff birth is better. You can make an argument it's not such a bad thing, and that's what we'll have to spin to ourselves assuming we don't get a miracle to win the division.

Jets struggle with extra rest, don't seem to be as good at home, and the pressure would be off our backs. Those three are all positives. But now we have to face a pair of very difficult teams on the road, and if San Diego or Indy sneaks in, possibly 3. A wild card is not better. No way.

Plus, I'm dying for a home playoff game.

12. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

This would be the best case scenario.

Seeding:
    1. Patriots
    2. Steelers (Chiefs here would be better, but unlikely to happen)
    3. Chiefs
    4. Jaguars
    5. Jets
    6. Ravens

This way we get the Jags, and then Steelers. Hopefully the Ravens beat the Patriots at Foxboro (possible). Then we host the Ravens in the title game. Simple, huh? :)

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If the Jets want to win the "Big Game" winning the divison is the best way and last night's performance put a huge damper on our hopes to reach the Super Bowl.

Anyone who believes it's better to have a wild card game is delusional.

The road to the Super Bowl is going thru Foxboro and it won't be easy.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

if we know anything it's that any team going into the playoffs has a shot...first thing is to win Sunday and basically secure a spot and let the season play out

15. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

So you're assuming that the Ravens beat the chiefs and then we beat the jags and play the steelers in the divisional round? That's a lot of ifs. If we're the 5 seed and the 6 seed loses and we win -- we play the patriots. I don't want either of those teams at home right now -- they both seem better than the Jets... at the moment any way.

16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The Steelers are a good team but they got pounded by the Pats a home...39-26 and it wasn't even that close.

They have a lot of injuries and Big Ben can make mistakes...he takes a lot of hits. The fact is the jets will have had games against the Pats, Steelers, and Ravens -- and have already lost to two of them going into the Playoffs. They need to end the season on a hot streak and go in with confidence.

If they had lost last night 28-23 -- it would look nicer on paper but it is still a loss. Just have to brush last night of and move on.

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I must be smokin some good stuff ... because I believe we'll be waking up on Monday morning Dec 20th in first place. Well ... tied for first anyway.

18. DevTeam

We're still going to have to end up playing the Patsies in the AFC champ game (most likely, I know this isn't written in stone). If that's the case -- how in God's Green Earth are we going to beat them? I just don't see it happening. We learned two things last night: 1) The Jets aren't that good and 2) The Patriots are THAT GOOD. We're screwed, yet again. God, I hate the Pats and Bill Belichick. You have to admit though, they're just simply incredible.

19. DevTeam

I think that chick in your avatar beat you about the head with those cans my friend.

20. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Agree, Too much time = too much rope for Schottenheimer to hang himself with

Can this guy please get fired already