Jets vs Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Nov 25, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Steelers defense wasn't healthy when you faced them. They were missing both there 3-4 DE's in Keisel and Smith and Harrison played injured (went into the game questionable).

And who gaf what ESPN had them ranked at? They were overrated at that point because of all the injuries on the offensive and defensive lines.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

the problem with this game from the Jets perspective is the offense just doesn't consistently fire on all cylinders, regardless of which defense they're playing. I don't give a shit about the matchups, the Jets match up great against everyone in my opinion, but they seem to struggle a lot anyway.

I almost think the Jets should win the toss, accept the kick and go right into the two minute offense. Get the Pats back on their heels from the opening whistle.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If the Jets win the toss they'd better elect to receive. I will throw something at the tv if they don't. Kicking the ball against teams with so so offenses is one thing. Doing so against the Pats would smack of arrogance.

4. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I will absolutely concede that point, in fact the performance of any single team this year has been a mixed bag at best (except for maybe carolina, lol). But I also think that discarding wins over multiple top tier teams (ravens & steelers are still ranked 4 & 5) is naieve and is an argument that jets fans are sculpting to fit their point (something that you accused me of doing).

Also I believe that jets fans are investing too much stock in the cleveland loss. As you said, sometimes good teams look lethargic, and with so many rookies playing and a 5-game win streak it is easy to see how it is possible that we lost focus during practice that week.

If nothing else, I think we can agree that we will know more after monday's matchup. Also, with similar tough remaining schedules for both teams, I do not think it can be said that whoever wins this division did not deserve it.

5. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think they will. And I think that if the pats win they will defer.

Either way Sanchez gets the ball to start the game, Brady gets it at half.

6. tubby

tubby Active Member

I personally like getting the ball at the start of the second half.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

Why do you think Rex would elect to receive? Every single time the Jets have won the opening coin toss in his tenure they've deferred. He will do the same Monday.

The Jets have done very well defensively in opening drives and offensively to start the second half. There's no reason to change that up.

Or it would be doing what Rex believes in and has done every game since he's been here. When you stop doing what works for you because you fear the other team you've already put yourself at a disadvantage.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That was on my mind before I logged in.

See..we can all agree on something! :beer:

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Ok, but Keisel and Smith probably don't even make top 5 key contributors on that defense and obviously Harrison was in good enough condition to play.

They were ranked that high because they were still winning most of their games, and also because they had done so well in the absense of their star QB, which showed balance and depth in their team.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You're assuming Brady is going to be in any condition to play in the second half?

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Knowledgeable Steelers fans would probably disagree. Those guys don't get the stats but they are critical to the scheme.

Early in the season I thought the Steelers were easily the best team in the league. I don't see it anymore. They're not consistently winning the battle at the LOS and that's where it all starts.

12. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

48-14, best record in the NFL. Damn, that just blows, don't it? ANd thats with Brady out in 08.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I guess I just haven't been paying attention. I'm sure if that is what he has been doing he will stick with it.

I just envisioned Ryan having the mindset of getting ahead early in this game and never even giving us a chance to use our gameplan (think ravens game last year).

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Mark Sanchez and Santiono Holmes can pick on Devin McCourty and secondary when Jets m

"No matter how many different ways Rex Ryan spins it, the Patriots' inexperienced secondary has been springing leaks for the better part of the season. Although Bill Belichick's opportunistic defense has 15 interceptions (tied for the fourth in the league), including six in the last three games, the Jets simply have too many options though the air.

Not even Belichick's defensive genius can hide the ghastly numbers: The Patriots are dead last in the NFL in pass defense (288.5 yards) and 28th in yards given up per play.

"Statistically, it's not very good," said Ryan, whose team ranks third in the league in total offense (296.9 ypg). "You have some growing pains. But right now, they're probably playing as well defensively as they have all season."

Belichick has been a master through the years of neutralizing an opponent's favorite weapon, but who will he focus on stopping Monday night in Foxboro? Dustin Keller burned New England for seven catches for 115 yards and a touchdown in Week 2 at the Meadowlands. Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery also scored.

The Pats' secondary consists of rookie cornerback Devin McCourty, second-year cornerback Kyle Arrington, second-year safety Patrick Chung and second-year cornerback Darius Butler, who was beaten by Edwards for a touchdown and flagged for a pair of fourth-quarter pass interference calls in the Jets' Week 2 win.

The defensive yardage totals during the Patriots' three-game winning streak aren't much better, but they were skewed after they took big early leads in two of them.

Belichick's biggest headache may be Santonio Holmes, who missed the first meeting due to league suspension. How will the Patriots handle Holmes? Any chance a rookie cornerback can stop him?

"Negative," Holmes said. "That was proven Super Bowl Sunday two years ago when they had a rookie (Arizona's Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) follow me around the whole game. I wouldn't do it if I was them. ... Don't do it.

"Our job is to go out there and exploit those guys on the field," Holmes added. "Make the plays happen for (Mark) Sanchez."

On paper, Edwards, who has a team-high 618 yards and six touchdowns, will also have favorable matchups.

"If we go out there and be consistent, we can take advantage of weaknesses in their secondary," Edwards said. "But if we (mess) around and guys aren't on the same page, then it's going to be another situation where we're fighting at the end to get a win."

Edwards, however, needs to keep his emotions in check this time. He was flagged taunting after beating Butler for a touchdown in Week 2.

"When you play young guys, you have that edge no matter how talented they are," Edwards said. "Now if you use that edge it's a different story. If you get caught up in a back-and-forth with a young guy, then you turn into that young guy, too. And you can't tell who the veteran is."

The Patriots don't have much of a pass rush, either. Belichick's defense ranks 30th in sacks per pass play, which means Sanchez should have plenty of time to survey the field and pick on the young secondary.

The second-year quarterback still isn't taking anything for granted.

"Those stats aren't always telling," Sanchez said. "This team, always towards this time of the year, gets better. In their big matchups, they always play well."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_but_leaky_d_is_tempting_jets_target.html#ixzz17418bkYF"

Just what I want to do, light them up and shut them down.

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I understand that they have their problems, but when you throw the Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, and Colts into six weeks of a schedule, you can't argue that injuries make that an easy, or even average, stretch.

16. 624

624 Banned

I agree on the videotaping part....but "you wouldn't have won without a kicker" is a retarded argument.

17. gopats88

gopats88 Member

And also:

1: Polomalu
    2: Woodley
    3: Harrison
    4: Taylor
    5: Timmons
    I'll even add 6: Farrior

Which one (or two) of those guys would knowledgable fans replace for keisel or smith as being more important?

18. tubby

tubby Active Member

lol @ no casey hampton

that's like saying Wilfork isn't important to the Patriots defense...

19. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sure he'd love to get ahead early and I think with the way our team is built he feels the best way to that is to try and get the other team to go 3 and out and setup the offense with good field position.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

The only point of my responding to you originally was to dispute your statement that the Steelers defense was healthy. They were missing 2 of 3 starting defensive lineman and anther front 7 guy was questionable.

If you want to believe that the Steelers win was some huge win, go ahead. I don't think it was. Don't forget there offensive line is in shambles too. The Colts doesn't impress me either. They're a team based on the passing attack and Manning is throwing to guys from the practice squad. Go ahead and pound your chest about those two, be my guest. They were nice wins against good teams. You didn't beat any upper echelon teams there.

The Chargers and Ravens wins were really good wins, especially @SD.