What will the PAts try and take away?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vilmatic, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like Wilfork is really that good...

*Wilfork has been Mangold's personal bitch for the past few years.*

2. Wizard Of Odds

Wizard Of Odds New Member

Also in the first game Tom Brady had a QB Rating of 72.5 and completed 55.6 percent of his passes while Sanchez rating was 124.3 with a completion rate of 70 percent.

And Brady threw 2 INT's with no Darrelle Revis in the game. Hmm... this can't be a good thing can it?

3. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

This. He'll take away all the cheap & short stuff and force Sanchez to go downfield while bringing various blitz packages at him.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

They will look to take away Holmes and Edwards. Their defense gives up a shitload of yards and I think Belichick is going to be ok with that again this week. He will look to make sure they do not give up any big plays to the Jets.

I think his thinking will be that the best way to stop this offense is still to force Sanchez to win the game. More importantly forcing Sanchez to win the game by being efficient. Forcing Sanchez to move the ball the length of the field with short or intermediate passes seems like a good strategy to me. I don't know if Sanchez is good enough to lead the Jets down the field multiple times without the benefit of the deep ball. I think we find out Monday night.

5. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

The run. Despite his recent comebacks I still don't think anyone believes Sanchez can beat them.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Beli made sure to mention that we ran the sluggo against two NFC teams, almost as if to say, that shit may work out of division, but don't even try that on me.

7. ukilledkenny

I don't think so. Sanchez has done well to get the ball to LT in check down situations but he hasn't shown any great ability to hit the other short to intermediate throws. I think forcing Sanchez to be more efficient than his 55% completion percentage will be more effective. We have seen him miss on some deep balls the last few weeks but he is still very good at generating the big play. More efficient, I think, than he is moving the ball down the field with the short, timing based routes.

8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Santonio Holmes has played against New England twice, both times at Foxborough. He averages a touchdown every third reception. Stats are fun.

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah and Pats fans on this board still bash Sanchez and our entire offense when they took care of them last game. I think Brady and Sanchez will look similar in the game considering their D helps Sanchez and our D hurts Brady. It might be another heart attack game, but lets hope not. At least Sanchez has plenty of experience in close games this year though.

10. ukilledkenny

That is a fun stat but means even less than it normally would since he accomplished that on a different team.

11. Wizard Of Odds

Wizard Of Odds New Member

Take away Holmes and Edwards... with the 32nd rated pass defense in the league. Yep, no problem.

And they're going to force Sanchez to win the game? That is exactly what he did last time. The Jets scored 28 points and Sanchez threw for 3 td's. Even if they could somehow find a way to cover both Edwards and Holmes (not gonna happen) you still have Cotchery, Keller, and LT out of the backfield killing you over the middle. Then if you play soft to try and stop Edwards and Holmes the Jets will move the chains over and over again with LT, Greene, and the short passing game. They'll also start Brad Smith-ing you to death until you start pulling people forward to defend it and THEN you'll get beat deep by Edwards and Holmes.

It's going to come down to the Pats defense getting off the field and giving the ball back to Brady, but when Brady gets the ball he'll have even more trouble than last time because now he has to account for Darrelle Revis. He also doesn't have Randy Moss to stretch the field and tie up Revis or Cromartie with the deep fake in order to hit the underneath stuff.

It's gonna be a long night for Tom and the boys. They just have too many things working against them on both sides of the ball. They have no clear advantage on offense and a striking disadvantage on defense. That's alot for any team to overcome.

#31 Wizard Of Odds, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  12. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

but but they have danny woodhead

13. LWC611

LWC611 Member

After last week I say he tries to take away B. Smith. Kick away from him on kickoffs and put nine in the box if they Jets go Seminole.

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

The banned thread?

15. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

I wish you were correct, but BB will continue to give up the middle of the field (except for Keller - they'll try to reduce any easy shots for him over the middle).

They'll keep the safties deep as always (only team not to give up a 40yd+ pass this year), and try to stuff the run with their front 7.

16. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

For the first time in his career, Wilfork has been moving around a lot. I expect them to target Slauson a lot.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Good, then we'll just run the other way. lol

18. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

This. I think they will pay attention to the middle but this is their best percentage Defense

19. ukilledkenny

Your Insanely biased analysis is even annoying to fellow Jets fans. The question is what are the Pats going to take try to take away? I think they will look to take away the big play ability of the offense by playing it safe and keeping Edwards and Holmes in front of them.

You can continue to act like the Jets will do whatever they want all game but your wrong. If you had actually read all that I wrote I said they should try to force Sanchez to move the ball down the field using his underneath routes. He has gotten very good at looking to LT when the play doesn't develop down the field but he hasn't shown the ability to consistently find the intermediate routes. I think the Pats will do exactly what they have done all season, which is allow the Jets to get their yardage in small chunks and look to force Sanchez into a mistake at some point.

Thinking that it is impossible to take the big play away is simply you looking at some stats without any context.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Great post!

Several others have said the Pats will try and take away the run first, and related to that the short dumpoffs. This reminds me of that scene in the film Patton where Patton is informed that the Germans seem to be conducting the offensive that became the Battle of the Bulge. Something about how the Germans have never commenced a winter offensive, the weather is bad, and so Patton thought that is precisely what the Germans were doing.

Opponents have been all season taking the "let Sanchez show he can beat us - stop the run first" approach. I am not saying they will not try and stop the run. The question is what will the Pats be most concerned about.

I hate the Pats CS, but I respect them. We follow this team. We know that now that the Jets have both Edwards and Holmes, opponents have been giving up huge plays to both. Opponents have been putting eight, even nine, in the box. The Jets have been making that approach fail. I think Belichek sees that on the game films. How can he miss it? I doubt he thinks those two guys are not the main concern he will face. He will understand they are.

Force Sanchez to move the ball with short to medium passes, showing patience. Don't let Edwards and Holmes beat you. That's my guess what they will try and do.

In that case, LT and Keller will be huge. Greene needs to grind it out and not fumble. No turnovers.

NE can't stop everyone. It will be up to the Jets to get the ball to the guy the Pats are not covering enough. That's the key.