Pats sign Danny Woodhead

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jetfanmack, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 624

624 Banned

Woodhead has been in the NFL for 2 years and 5 months.

McKnight has been in the NFL for 5 months.

Give him some time to develop, I don't see how you could possibly think you're right on this. I think old age is getting to you.

2. retroicon

retroicon Member

Most of his career with the fins was on special teams, so yeah ... I was serious, and still don't think I'm too far off.

I'm not a huge fins follower and didn't realize he was the top receiver on an obviously awesome 6-10 team. So based on one year as the "#1", catching passes from a random group of QB's ... a 2nd and a 7th for someone who was mostly a special teams standout seems high.

From Wikipedia:

After rumors that he would be cut during the preseason, Welker started off being the lone bright-spot of the struggling Miami Dolphins offense... SNIP... On the season, Welker had a team-best 67 receptions for 687 yards and one score. He returned 48 kickoffs for 1,048 yards (22.2 average) and 41 punts for 378 yards (9.2 average).

Doesn't look like I was that far off. What he's done since landing with the Pats is impressive, but 67 receptions for 687 yards is nothing special for a team that was often behind, and throwing to catch up all season long.

The Pats have a history of picking up talent on the cheap, and I think we're looking at the same thing here.

#122 retroicon, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I guess you missed this part... Playing special teams doesn't make a "special teamer"

4. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

Hear, hear. If you believe in Karma, then this decision will come back to bite us in the azz. Good luck "white chocolate".

5. retroicon

retroicon Member

No, I didn't miss that part ...

For most of his time with the fins, he wasn't a receiver, he was mostly a special teams player. He wasn't the one, the two, or even the three until his last year with the team, on a losing team who was forced to throw non-stop in an attempt to catch up and get on the board fast.

Welker with the fins was a decent player, on a crap team ... it's the equivalent of being the leading receiver on the Browns. Who the hell cares?

Maybe Woodhead will get cut by the Pats, who knows? But right now he looks like insurance in case Welker's knee doesn't hold up with all the cuts the guy makes...

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Julian Edleman is their insurance. Woodhead is there for info/head games only.

7. retroicon

retroicon Member

Edelman was signed before Welker was injured ... I'm still thinking insurance. But now that you bring it up, maybe he's cheap insurance for the both of them.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Geezus! Go away 3 days and so much happens.
    Damn, I really thought Woody had found his mojo with us. Just hope this is a super Ex move to feed the Pats duff info.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

People reading too much into this one. This isn't any different than the Jets signing O'Connell last year and trotting him out as a captain.

Remember Victor Hobson? He was a pat too, and was soon cut.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

you're not accounting for the all-important scrappiness factor.

11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Bet he's a captain today. This isn't a big deal, but he could have time to let them in on a couple of Schotty's gimmicks, mostly five or six Brad Smith plays.

At least now if we lose and we need to blame it on an undersized white guy we have more options to choose from.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He obviously has no idea of what the game plan is because he was cut early Tuesday morning. This may have all been part of the Jets plan anyway.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

no comment. fuck you ijr

#133 IATA, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

With Maroni gone, I think he has a decent to good chance of sticking on this team for the season.

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Imagine if the Dolphins kept Wes Welker, and got Drew Brees?

16. ........

........ Trolls

Bahahaha...

Enjoy your vacation, my friend.

17. rick34125

rick34125 Member

poor Danny Knucklehead has gone over to the dark side. he'll be dumped after Sunday faster than Windows Millenium Edition.

18. IATA

IATA Trolls

Ya, well. I didn't target anyone in particular, so I figured I was ok. But I have a long week at work ahead, so if you could just delete that out so I don't get banned, I'd appriciate that lol

19. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Who knows, Maybe he'll get cut and we end up picking him back up before the next time we play the Pats and then cut him again after that game. Hah, I hope the conspiracy theory of Rex sending anticipating the Pats would pick him up and sending him to be our mole turns out to be true. It would take the whole pro wrestling-esque sports entertainment edge the league has been gaining over the past few years to a whole new level.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Anytime one of your guys goes to a division rival you kind of panic hoping you did a smart thing and not bite yourself in the ass. Same here...

That said I found it telling we cut Woodhead before cutting either Dixon (but I can see keeping him for need) or Brown (the OT, guess we must really like this guy).