JETS lookin' at . . .

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Jun 9, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Mason wants to follow NFL dream
    By James Hooper
    June 9, 2006

WILLIE Mason has always been a showman. The bigger the occasion, the greater the challenge, the better the New South Wales Origin enforcer performs.

Mason: Cauldron holds no fear

But Mason boldly underlined the greatest challenge in his elite sporting career last night, revealing a desire to feature on the biggest stage in US sport: the National Football League.MainGame can reveal that Mason's management team has sent a video highlights tape including footage of the forwards' devastating try in Origin I to numerous NFL teams.Despite having inked a four-year deal with the Bulldogs until the end of 2009 last year, Mason is prepared to consider walking away from the Belmore club.

Six NFL clubs - Oakland Raiders, San Fransisco 49ers, :beer: New York Jets :beer: , New York Giants, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers - are expected to hold talks with Mason's agent, Greg Keenan, in the US over the next fortnight.And the last Australian export to star in the NFL's front line, Colin Scotts, has predicted Mason's essential combination of size, power, speed, balance and willingness is the perfect recipe for success in American football.

But for Mason, the reasoning is much simpler.

The challenge of cutting it in the multi-million-dollar elite echelon of US professional sport, where 130 million people watch the Super Bowl each year, is what dazzles."It would be an unbelievable challenge and it would be a massive stage like nothing I've ever experienced," Mason said."I've always wondered when I've watched the NFL if I was born in the States how good I'd go at it."There'd be heaps to learn, but for me that's half the challenge, I just reckon the whole experience would be awesome."Former St Louis Cardinals defensive end Scotts has volunteered to assist Mason by helping to open doors to some of the NFL's top teams.Scotts has earmarked the position of offensive right tackle as perfect, meaning Mason would stand in the front line of defence for the team holding the ball and protect the quarterback, running backs and wide receivers."Willie is super quick for a big man and, in terms of balance, he's got beautiful co-ordination for a man of his size," Scotts said.

"He's also got those huge long arms that scouts look for in the NFL, big hands to go with them and from the look of his statistics he's a powerful man."I know a good friend of mine in Hawaii who knows every NFL team so he can open up doors for him to get in somewhere."I'd be fascinated to see another Aussie get over there and have a go and Willie Mason has got that tough temperament to make a fist of it."Welcome to the most intense, competitive, complex game in the world; Willie is still young enough, so why not have a go?" MainGame understands Raiders head of professional recruitment Ed Dodds was immediately impressed when informed of Mason's statistics.

"He's how big? And he runs that quick. Yeah, of course we'd be interested in having a look at him," Dodds said.And :beer: Jets :beer: Director of Professional Scouting Brendon Prophett responded: "Wow. I bet he could run over a few cats."The dossier on Mason reads: running 20m in 2.76sec, 40m in 4.89sec; bench pressing 170kg for one repetition and leg squatting 220kg.Mason's agent Keenan denied arranging meetings with NFL clubs in the next fortnight, but MainGame understands they have been scheduled."I'll be in the US on business in the next fortnight but I'm not going to say what sort of business I'm there on," Keenan said.If Mason opted to depart the Bulldogs kennel, it would mean severing the final three seasons of a $1.6 million contract.While it would hurt leaving the teammates with whom he won a premiership in 2004, and the club to which he has shown tremendous loyalty for the past seven seasons, it's a sacrifice Mason is willing to make.

Again, the reasoning is simple. In terms of rugby league milestones there is little left for Mason to conquer;

* HE collected the Clive Churchill medal as the best player on the field in the Bulldogs' 2004 premiership triumph over Sydney Roosters.

* HE has played 17 Tests for Australia since debuting for the Kangaroos in 2002.

* HE has made five Origin appearances, collecting man-of-the-match honours in Origin I this year.

Mason has nominated Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens as his favourite NFL player, saying: "He's the guy in the NFL I reckon rocks."In the NFL, each team has a salary cap of $102 million to spend on playing talent per year - more than 25 times the $4 million beneath which NRL teams must balance their 25 top-line players next season.Five Australians have previously qualified to star in the NFL: Scotts, Darren Bennett, Ben Graham, Mat McBriar and Colin Ridgeway.But only Scotts graduated for the rough and tumble arena of the NFL front line, making it as a defensive end and defensive tackle for St Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals and Houston Oilers after being drafted from the University of Hawaii in 1987.

The other Australian exports used AFL backgrounds to make it as punters, whose job is just to kick the ball.Despite Scott's glowing endorsement of Mason, the last rugby league forward to try his luck on an American football scholarship was cautious about the daring switch of codes.Retired Kangaroos, NSW and Balmain Tigers forward Paul Sironen, who won a scholarship to the University of Hawaii in 1984, believes Mason has a huge mountain in front of him, but by no means an impossible one.

"Getting into a whole new code of football, it obviously looks exciting and lucrative with all the hype surrounding it but it's a lot of learning too," Sironen said."Tight end is a pretty good position and Willie would have all the skills to handle that - but the hardest part would be the learning curve."It's a pretty hard learning curve, it would take him at least 12 months to get a handle on things and fit in with it."In seven years in the NRL, Willie Mason has distinguished himself as a special talent.If ever there was a player suited to the brash, flash, showmanship of American football, Mason is the man. Bring on the bling.

The Daily Telegraph

2. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

who the hell is willie mason

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

read the first post you would know. that's kind of how the dynamic of posting a thread works.

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

DOB: Apr 15 1980 - 26
    Height: 195 cm - 6'5
    Weight: 115 kg - 256 lbs

He's going to have to gain 40 pounds minimum if he wants to play RT. Also, I see him being a holding penalty liability.

5. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

I bet this guys skull is at least 3 inches thick...

6. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

Yes, his skull is 3 inches thick and doesn't leave much room for his brain. No problem though, he has proven he doesn't need one. More than one off field indescretion.

He would have been my first pick of any rugby league players to make the switch. Big, powerful and fast. Most big guys don't have his speed. As mentioned his main hurdle would be learning the game. Hope the jets have a look at him.

Side note: I hate when threads have some half finished title like ''Jets looking at..."
    I mostly cant be bothered opening them. I'm glad I did in this case because know this guy and have seen him play on many occasions.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If this guy has good hands, I'd work him out at TE too. He could stay at his current weight to make that transition.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey Jetblue, if you're going to try and insult someone, at least do so in a coherent sentence of your own.

9. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

[​IMG]

here's a pic... kinda goofy lookin.

10. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

Bear in mind he has good endurance as required in Rugby league, which would keep his weight in check. I'm betting he would naturally put on 20-30 pounds just training NFL style and eating USA style.:up:

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe linebacker, even if it is a waste of his hands. If he has the kind of speed described, then he could easily be an outside linebacker.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I know he plays union but I would have loved to see Lomu play TE . Lomu padded up is a frightening thought

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I apologize, I am not quite sure how it wasn't coherent, but I will spell it out for you to help.
    Read-The-First-Post-!COMMA!-You Would-Know. That's-Kind-Of-How-The-Dynamic-Of-Posting-A-Thread-Works.

and that is hardly an insult. it is critical,but being critical doesn't equate to being insulting. being critical,on the other hand,is justified when someone asks who a particular person is in a thread which is an article outlining who that person is. Read the article.

Are people supposed to not only post articles for us to read so we do not have to search for all the various news ourselves but also summarize the articles as well so we also don't have to read the articles?

14. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Nice av. I have 4 boxes of unopened Chrebet crunch in my closet full of memorabilia. I ate one box though... It was pretty good stuff. Not so sure the last few boxes are good enough to eat. They have been in there for about 3 years or so.. lol:eek:fftopic:

15. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

any clips of this guy playing?

16. themanwithnofingers

themanwithnofingers New Member

I would like to see big willie give it a go. I watched him play a couple of weeks ago in the State of Origin (kinda like the all star game for the Aussie Rugby League) and he can really make an impact. Add a helmet and pads and I wouldn't want to try and take him on. I see him as more of a running back or TE as it is similar position to how he plays league.

17. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Lesley "the volcano" Vainikolo is as big as Lomu, faster too

18. kelly

kelly Banned

why not google 'em . . . .:beer:

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i took the liberty of crunching the other numbers

-His max bench would be 374.58 lbs (basically 375)
    -His max squat would be 485.10 lbs
    -40 Meters is 43.71 yards which means he probably runs around the 4.65-4.7 40 time

that being said, no way he plays OL without reaching at least 290. better off giving him a look at OLB, FB, or TE.

#20 Coach K, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2005