Amazing article about Rex from NYT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xxedge72x, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yep, missed your point about him. He must be quite annoying though.

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I found the Rob-Rex dynamic really interesting. One carried the wallet, the other carried the car key. At the risk of turning the Buffalo Bills into a professional opponent, wouldn't it be great if Rob Ryan caught his (relatively imminent) first head coaching job there?

3. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

I don't think Lap-Band will be contacting Rex for an celebrity endorsement adds.

4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

One more point I find really interesting: stopping Andre Johnson's curl routes.

Revis Island, right?

Rex: "Well, I just put ol' Revis on the best wide out, that's all I do. Then I run a coupla blitzes or what-have-you with the other guys, but that Revis, he can't be beat. Sure glad a dumb ol' football coach like me gots the best cornerback in the NFL, yessiree! (Oh, by the way, I identified something that had eluded most other defensive coordinators in the league, that the Texans telegraph their curls with their fullback and that I could cut off Johnson by having Leonhard shadow the back) Boy-oh-boy, that Revis, lemme tell ya..."

Nearly out of sight underneath Rex's over-the-top bravado is a very well-tuned sense of modesty, ironically enough.

5. emania55

emania55 Member

great read thanks
    i love this quote from rex
    "Tony Dungy loves Michael Vick. I never tortured or killed animals. I’m an animal lover! I used a few cuss words! At the end of the day, no matter what, I’ll walk out the door and say I always was who I am"

6. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I love the fags who jumped down the thread poster's throat for starting it in the first place. I gotta tell ya, this is the best article I've read about a NY Jet in like EVER. It's great writing and I'm "forcing" my wife (colt's fan) to read it. It's that good.
    I really hate the weak dick, sarcastic, stool pushers on this forum who think they can come up with an obscure reference like George Plimpton and all of us should be impressed. You know what would impress me? A thread that doesn't include elementary school quality sarcasm.
    Sarcasm takes an idiot's brain and a butt load of repressed abuse to produce. Keep your molestation stories to Oprah's forum. Allow the rest of us that haven't been fucked by our relatives to enjoy the forum.

I like the article alot and it's one of the best things I've read about my team since becoming a fan in 1986.

7. ........

........ Trolls

If you had bothered to read the rest of the comments, you would see that the post about Plimpton wasn't sarcastic. I posted that after the first few paragraphs, impressed that someone bothered to write a truly journalistic and literary article about football these days.

It was a compliment, and I fail to see how anyone could take the name of George Plimpton as an insult. He only wrote one of the 5 best books EVER about the game of football.

8. damnboy19

damnboy19 New Member

didnt rex ryan take a 9-7 team from Mangini and produce exactly another 9-7 (actually 7-9) team? but everybody seems to think he is a genius.

9. ........

........ Trolls

A 9-7 team that had Brett Favre as its QB to a 9-7 team that had a rookie QB and lost its #2 rusher and starting NT to injury early in the season. As far as the actually 7-9 crap, it's lame, uninformed, and has been shot down a million times. By even bringing it up, you're admitting defeat.

10. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Without mentioning the number 1 defense, number 1 running team and making it to the championship game....yes you are correct. So deep, so right.

11. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

This was my favorite excerpt from the article

The second moment came early in the season. The Jets were leading the Tennessee Titans. “They’re 0-2,” Tannenbaum says. “They’re desperate. It’s the end of the game. They can tie. It’s fourth down. They have the ball. Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of the time, teams play prevent defense with a four-man rush. Rex goes all-out blitz. He brings everybody. I’m thinking up there in my box, We cannot be doing this! It was the equivalent of being ahead 5-4 in the third period of a hockey game and pulling the goalie. The ball falls incomplete, so we win. In the locker room, he’s sitting there. I say, ‘Rex, I gotta ask you this, What the hell were you thinking?’ He said: ‘Oh, I figured out their protections. I knew we’d get there.’ I said, ‘But what if they made an adjustment?’ Rex said, ‘They wouldn’t.’ I said, ‘But if we don’t get there in time?’ He said, ‘Mike, I knew what they were gonna do.’ The body language was incredible. It was, Mike, the game’s over; go see Michelle and the kids. He’s shrugging. It’s easy to him.”

12. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Rex had a 280 lb dog. Holy shit, that dog could eat my dog for a snack.

Yeah, I know, you read the whole thing and that's all you came away with?

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Why did you take your youtube video down?

edit: nvm it's still up

[youtube]FJ291ePrWOc[/youtube]

14. ........

........ Trolls

By the way, I had to quickly click on your past posts. Despite your being a member for 6 years, I had no clue who you were. I've got to say, there's a lot of anger in you, precisely the type you ascribe to 'molestation' and 'getting fucked by your family'. It's ok if you want to head to the Bullshit forum to let it out. I even have an advice column there for you. I'd probably be as angry as you seem to be too if I showed up after a 4 month absence just to drop this shit:

Are you still upset they didn't make him sit for three years?

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What was your first language?

16. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

No because he signed. Duh?

17. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

It's not important to me that you know who I am. I'm a fucking Jet's fan weak dick.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Which fucking Jet are you a fan of?

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

rofl "weak dick"

20. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

All or most of them.