Sanchez's preseason performance vs Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think he looked very solid behind the line last night, he looked comfortable, confident in his abilities but not overconfident in trying to make something out of nothing. The throw he made to Cotch across his body while Cotch was running to the sideline was fantastic.

One thing to consider is that he was also playing with a backup center and there were no screw ups between those two as you always seem to see when there is a bckup in there.

I think however the highlight was recognizing that the Giants f'd up on coverage and realizing that Smith was uncovered. You could see the maturation of him begin in the playoffs and it looks like it has continued. I was excited for Chad when he emerged but I think the skill set and leadership he brings to the table at such a young age give me greater expecations. Let's remember he would have been a rook if he had stayed for his Sr year so he's way ahead of teh game at this point.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Sanchez looked really good outside the INT. I was happy with how he played, but I still want more improvement

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I agree totally, except for the notion that his interception was an unlucky pass. He was looking for LDT all the way, and he tried to force a ball into coverage over the middle--that type of pass is going to result in a turnover pretty frequently.

That said, he did exactly what you want from a young QB who makes a bad mistake: he didn't do it again. As everyone else has said, I was very happy to see him surveying the whole field, staying calm in the pocket, and finding his checkdown options consistently when there was nothing down field. The Giants defense looked pretty bad, but I won't downgrade Sanchez for that--good teams take advantage of struggling opponents.

Also, I was very happy to see him controlling the line of scrimmage pre-snap without Nick Mangold there. He would not have been able to change protections and utilize hard counts that well without Mangold last season.

4. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I think Dirty and the rest of the first offense looked good.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree with the optimism on Sanchez, after that first throw. He also looked like he was not favoring his repaired knee, moved great on that roll out and showed a lot of pocket awareness, and I was really getting pumped seeing him dump off to LT. Wow that was probably the best thing I saw about the Jets last night.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He was very upset after his first pass attempt. You could tell that he was pissed off at himself, and had lost confidence on the sidelines. Once he completed a few passes later on, he got more comfortable every time. By the half time, he was all enjoying himself on the sidelines.

After his first pass, and his initial reaction on the sideline, I was hoping he doesn't go into a shell like he did almost every time last year. He didn't. All these Henne vs. Sanchez talks is already starting to settle in.

7. jcluttrell

jcluttrell New Member

Glad to see Sanchez step it up. It was a nice change from the beginning of last year.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nice to see him play well...it's obvious he's doing his homework. If he can continue to play this well consistently, our offense will be on equal footing as our defense.

And wouldn't that be something.

9. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Not trying to be a downer here, but were the Giants 2nd stringers in there during Sanchez's last long drive? I'm not familiar enough with the Giants players to know. Seemed like Sanchez was cutting through them like a hot knife through butter. A lot easier than in the first quarter.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

You're not all wrong. I know the Giants had several players out with injuries in the secondary and DL.

I'm glad Sanchez looked good yesterday, being that this was a pre-season game. He showed a lot of poise after that INT and put together a nice drive to put us on the board.

The pass almost TD to Brad Smith was pretty bad (the one where he led him towards a chargin Rolle). He could've gotten him killed. There was another pass where he led a receiver where it could've ended badly.

He looked a lil' nervous and rusty at the beginning of the game, but he settled his nerves and looked much, much better. It's the first game of the pre-season, so I'm not worried about him. He'll learn from all this once he watches tape and will get better.

11. 624

624 Banned

Remember this was without Holmes AND Mangold.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well ok it was a bad pass, but what I was getting at was it was an unlucky bounce. Sanchez cant really control the ball deflecting right up in the air like that straight into a giants safetys hands. Even Jaws was talking about it being an unlucky bounce. But still

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

When it's all said and done Sanchez will have every Jet QB record.

14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

It doesn't matter what kinda bounce it took. You throw into double coverage like that and 9 times out of 10, that's an interception.

What bothered me for split second about that pass was that Sanchez looked like he only got to his 2nd read and tried to force it to a tight spot. I thought, "Fuck, this is just a continuation from last year". But like I said, as the game went on, he seemed more calm and looked to be progressing thru his reads faster and more fluently. I expect good things from the kid this year.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

just voted for you in the thread tommygreen made b/c i tend to agree with your posts a lot, and this is the first one i see from you after exited the thread...weird

i said something about sanchez's checkdowns last night in the game thread.

couldnt agree more with bolded above brother.

though some of the check downs were no brainers because the back was so alone in the middle of the field.

16. robryan

robryan New Member

I'll withhold judgment til after the 1st real game. Yeah he forced it, but would he have though twice in a real game situation rather than a preseason game (where a big part of the emphasis is getting in sync with new players)? Maybe, maybe not. Course he comes out like that week 1, get concerned.