The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

The next time an actor signs a contract to act in a movie and about halfway through the filming process decides he'll hold out and stall the movie because he wants a new contract that pays him more, then I'll complain about that actor too.

2. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

On a completely unrelated note, these Darrelle Revis commercials for Dick's sporting goods are the funniest things I've ever seen. They remind me so much of the Chappelle's show Samuel Jackson beer commercials.

"DARRELLE REVIS!!!!"
    "...can you stop yelling at me?"
    "NO I CAN'T STOP YELLING! THAT'S HOW I TALK! 'AINT YOU EVER SEEN MY MOVIES???"

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Andre Wadsworth should lead a class for alll current players, "How to get your shit in order."

4. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

Interesting how everyone was concerned with chemistry issues with all the new personalities and it was #24 who was the disrupter. Just an observation.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You make it sound like if he doesn't take the most amount possible he'll need to get a second job in the offseason. This isn't the 50's or 60's NFL anymore. Revis is going to get top dollar. That dollar shouldn't necessarily be $15 mill per.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not disputing that the above exists, because it most certainly does and in high numbers, but most of the pro athletes I've known don't live a particularly extravagant life. It's certainly higher than the average person, but they're also in a rather exclusive career.

Interestingly, one of the things that does drain heavy amounts of their cash is the obligation to their foundations. One of the first things so many athletes do now upon signing their first contract is seek to establish a foundation in order to help others with some of that extra cash. Wonderful thing, obviously. The problem is, if mismanaged, it can often create obligations that exist even after the NFL income is exhausted.

Again, likely not true of the majority of athletes, but I'd hate to see them all characterized as free spending morons. Of course, looking at the way people from impoverished backgrounds tend to spend sudden income is a fascinating that discussion that would take up MUCH more time than this thread deserves.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No one would care.

It's not just this situation, fans are always complaining about how much these players make. They have a unique skill and desreve that money, if it was easy all of us would be doing it. I think most of us could act but none of us could play pro football at a high level yet people don't say a word when some actor gets $30 mil a film but they go crazy when a football players signs a $60 mil deal over 6 years.

8. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

Exactly, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

9. ........

........ Trolls

A better example would be someone holding out between picture 3 and 4 of a multi-picture deal. Multi-picture deals are no longer the norm in Hollywood precisely for that reason.

10. nyjunc

He should have enough money for the rest of his life if he makes wise decisions, that doesn't mean he should be satisfied. Again, he has a very small window to make this crazy amount of money and he should be taking advantage of it.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Consider this a bump. Great post, my friend.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Terrible Football Labor Comparison #376

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

because there's a salary cap in this league. If there was none (this year aside), then sure, pay him what he wants. We could be the Yankees in that case. However, we know there was a hard cap, and if there's football next year, there should be one as well. You can't just give out money to players.

At the same time, if what we're hearing is accurate. Revis is putting himself in front of not just the fans, but his teammates. If he gets paid more, then everyone else gets paid less (or someone is the odd man out), that's how a it works in a capped world.

14. abyzmul

You are one of the biggest pretenders on this board. That's quite an accomplishment after only 124 posts.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Well what do you propose? Shall we force the Jets to just pay all the players whatever they want whenever they want it? Is it fair to walk away from a contract that you signed and under which you have been paid millions?

How are the Jets acting like bandits? Is anybody holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy PSLs, merchandise or concessions? If you don't want to buy a jersey or a ticket or a hot dog - nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

I havent heard anybody whining about Revis being greedy. Most actors are scraping by as waiters and most of them don't work until they are old making huge amounts of money. Not sure why you think these things are connected. Different people make different amounts of money based on many different factors. I am not sure why that reality matters here. Revis is talented and he is a multi millionaire. Good for him.

#1095 AbdulSalam, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  16. abyzmul

Really? REALLY? You must be one of those guys that just reads his own posts.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's going to make crazy amount of money this is enough for the rest of his life whether it's $12 million or $15million per. He's not going to the poor house if he takes the $12 mil per offer after his career is over.

18. abyzmul

Excellent post. But I think we also get a bonus result of finding out who the less intelligent posters on TGG.com are.

19. nyjunc

They still have the right to get as much as they can. obviously he's not going to get everything he asks for but he can ask.

Revis is taking care of business, the players understand that for the most part.

I propose letting this play out. I think we'll see a resolution fairly soon. Two sides are far apart right now but there's no doubt both want to get it taken care of and a compromise will eventually be reached. I am not worried about it at all right now.

No one is forcing the Jets to pay revis either then, right? But the way the jets make their money is by putting a good prodcut on the field that attracts us dopey fans to pay our hard earned money for tickets, merchandise, etc...

20. nyjunc

Why should he take what the Jets wnat to pay him? obviously the Jets can pay more so why shouldn't he get more? He is going to be one of the faces of this franchise for a long time to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.