Davone Bess isn’t giving up his number to Brandon Marshall

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Freeman_McNeil#24, May 29, 2010.

1. Freeman_McNeil#24

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescripti...p-his-number-to-Brandon-Marshall/Default.aspx

Brandon Marshall is still wearing jersey No. 19 at Dolphins minicamp.

Don’t look for him to make the desired switch to No. 15 anytime soon according to Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. At least not as long as Davone Bess is catching passes for the Miami Dolphins.

Bess said he has no plans to give up the number he took when he reached the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2008. It doesn’t matter that he’d never worn the number before — not in college or high school or anywhere else.
    Doesn’t matter that the number isn’t among his tat collection.

It’s what that number represents to him after overcoming a difficult upbringing in Oakland to achieve his dream and catch 130 passes his first two NFL seasons.

“It’s been a long journey, and I just feel like I had to start from ground zero with that number,” Bess told me. “It’s just a lot deeper than what it seems to be. … For me to go through what I went through with that number, it speaks measures. … It meant I overcame a lot and I’m still trying to overcome more. I’m my own biggest critic. I’m just trying to get better and better and better.”

I say good for Bess! Stand your ground! I bet Marshall pisses and moans about this and if it creates a rift; good for us. I think the giving up of your # for another player should not be expected unless their play and attitude command it (or if that player just does not give a crap). Marshall may be a fantastic wide receiver but he needs an ego check.

2. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

For some reason, i thought this was going to be about some locker chemistry issue, with Bess refusing to give his cell number to Marshall.

3. Freeman_McNeil#24

That's awesome.....and it would have been a helluva better story than the uniform number. :beer:

4. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

Who cares what number he wears?

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Apparently some faggot writer from Miami does....

6. Freeman_McNeil#24

Many "elite" players expect to retain their # from their previous team for various reasons. Some have paid the player on their new team to have the right to wear that number. Players are superstitious and will do/pay a lot to get the number they want. Personally, I could care less what number he wears, just thought it was a solid move by Bess to deny this to Marshall. Sure, Marshall is the better receiver but he also exudes an air of entitlement that is somewhat annoying. Bess has earned his number with the Dolphins, Marshall needs to prove himself to his new team. And again, if this creates a little animosity in the Dolphins locker room; good for us!

7. Freeman_McNeil#24

Edit: Just saw your avatar. You should care.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Actually Bess is a pretty good player. Good for him. Most players make some kind of monetary deal for their jersey.

He is likely going to have a big year as most teams not named the Jets are going to have to double Marshall.

#8 Miamipuck, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

All it's hurting is his number of jersey sales.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This is a non-issue.

11. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Marshall has not made this an issue at all. His quote was "Bess was here first. I'm coming on to his team. I'll take whatever number is available."

Now, I know he's still holding out hope that Bess changes his mind, but he isnt going to start some drama over it or anything.

Now, I know you'd love for this number issue to drive a dagger through the heart of the lockerroom and rip our team apart... but it's not happening.

12. 624

624 Banned

Ted Ginn was the last 19, hah.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

No we're just waiting for marshall to knock up his wife and for phillip merling to do the 'phillip merling' on her

14. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

fixed.

filler.

15. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Well, with Revis all the Jets need to shut down Marshall, Cromartie would have plenty of time to fill in there.

[​IMG]

Yep, definitely Cro-able.

16. jgangstahippie7:18

And Ainge gave Holmes his number 10 for no compensation.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Like Marshall has any idea what is going on in the white house.

18. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Fuck Bess and Fuck Marshall and Fuck the rest of the Dolphags. That is all.

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Or unless you're like Erik Ainge and you give up your number with no compensation for it because you're that good of a guy :)

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

obviously you have never played sports, but players tend to create a pretty deep association with their number and themselves, thus they care extremely deeply. not sure how such a common thing in sports, never-the-less pro sports, is still a mystery to you. have you never followed how players behave?