$10 Surcharge for USED EA games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Docny1975, May 11, 2010.

1. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I thought most of their games were p2p servers?

2. ........

........ Trolls

Some of their games are P2P, including Madden on the PS3. They still have to route you through their own servers, though, including to get you set up with a game.

3. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I'd be ok with this as long as DLC and updates came free. Like Battlefield. Sounds like they will be like PC games. If that's the case I will probably pirate single player games and only purchase the ones I plan on playing online. I hate investing in something that completely loses value the moment I open it. Could you imagine if car companies began to put a code in a car that they could disable certain functions of a car after it has been sold second hand. It's basically the same shit. Oh you can have the car, but if you want air conditioning, and electronics you have to pay 1000$.

#23 The Jutty, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Sports games have no resell value anyway, as soon as the season is over you barely get $10 for the game anyway unless you luck out and the game gets included in those extra trade-in $$$ deals from Gamestop that happen almost every other month.

BTW - Everything loses value as soon as you open it.

5. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Yeah, but if all game makers do this the console market will be like the PC game market where there is no value in a game after you open it. I doubt many people will want to buy a game that they can't play online. The good thing is it's true sports games are basically worthless in trading in anyway. The only thing that sucks is if I buy a game and totally hate it I'm going to get a lot less in trade for it. It also hurts people who use services like gamefly.

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I can see this both ways but I'm not gonna side w/ EA because:

-1 Their servers suck ass! Every EA game online is a joke
    -2 Their recent slew of "Nickle & Diming" tactics.
    -3 Videos and interviews revealing EA's plan on making more content available via purchase only.

Also, I don't wanna hear this BS that the used game market is a black hole...AYFKM? You know how much xtra revenue is made for the stores who sell NEW games also?

The reason the publishers call this a black hole is because they don't make any money from it, well guess what?
    With this, NOW THEY DO!

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

don't buy used games... well at least not from gamestop. this sucks for the bargain gamer but gamestop has built an empire around ripping people off for used games. EA is just looking to get a piece of that action.

both companies can go fuck off but i see what EA is trying to do here.

8. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

On what curve? Cost/utility?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

how does Gamestop rip people off? they take a risk buying back a game because it might not sell, so they have to price games accordingly to ensure profitability in that area, and every used game sold probably also pays for the two or three that don't. that's called business, and you need a 35-50% profit margin on items to be in business. the rent for their shops and the wages paid to employees to run the stores is paid in actual currency. and considering how many used games sit on the shelf, it is clear they lose money on most games they buy back. not to mention the option to use the system and a free rental service and return them within 7 days.

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

A car does lose value the minute you drive it off the lot.

11. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

This isn't really the case. For games that are older or less in demand, they give you less than a dollar. And that's store credit, cash is 30% less than that. I used to work at Gamestop, believe me, even the old shitty games sell eventually.

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

they offer less than fair prices to buy back games because they know people are just coming to them because they are the only well known name in the market. the only way to get a fair price for a used game is to sell it online.

gamestop hasn't grown so big because of their new game or console sales. they have grown because their used game operation is a gold mine.

13. Sully72

Sully72 Banned

stinks

Kinda stinks to charge the fee.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

everything loses value once its status changes from 'new' to 'used', but this is making it even worse.

Games are devalued once you open them, but this now takes another $10 off.

Obviously I understand why EA is doing it, but I disagree with it based on the logical aspect.

I also agree regarding gamestop. They do not pay a fair price when they purchase games, similar to how bookstores give you almost nothing when you sell a book back to them (speaking about college bookstores, specially the one at Queens College, which will charge you a ridiculous price for a book and then give you about 15% back if you want to sell it).

#34 Yisman, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  15. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The college bookstore analogy is a great way to prove your point. I would just keep alot of books because they wouldn't give me shit back for them.

17. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

The max i've seen on a trade in was about 35-40 with an edge card