Better corner, aso or revis??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nastynice, May 18, 2010.

1. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

no question its revis... especially when your asking on a jets forum

#61 jetsmets93, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

It's never been more apparent how bad some of us are at reading the thread before we post in it. If I was nastynice I would've gotten fed up with the same bullshit responses not adding anything and walked away thinking Jets fans are a bunch of RaiderJoes.

He doesn't need to read that Revis follows the #1 100 times, especially because he said Nnamdi started to shadow the #1 guy and he still dominated. That's not the answer he's looking for.

Does Aso get safety help? Because Revis very rarely does. Often when he did trust the safeties behind him so he could cover the dig routes or screens, Kerry Rhodes laid a steaming pile of shit on the field in return for the trust.

3. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

To compare him to Raiderjoe is unfair. to be honest.. He's obviously a little bit delusional.... but at least he's literate and his homerism isn't completely overbearing.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare Aso to Revis because he doesn't follow the #1 receiver around like Revis. Teams can easily avoid him by putting there #1 WR on the other side of the field and/or running against that shitty defense. That's not Aso's fault, but he doesn't face the same level of competition on a consistent basis and there defense isn't designed to have the ball thrown his way like the Jets is designed to have the ball thrown at Revis.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

revis being on the number one guy all game is a huge deal and is the best argument in his favor. there is a reason the teams don't throw at aso and that is because they don't need to. when you can gameplan to not throw to one side of the field very much it makes it pretty easy to eliminate the threat that aso is at corner.

revis is under pressure every play to go against the biggest, fastest, and strongest wr's this league has to offer. because revis is in such an important role on every play his value goes up in my mind. what is the point in having one of the few shut down corners in the league if his abilities aren't being utilized effectively.

i think after this year we will be able to better judge the two against each other. if the OP is correct that aso is gonna be floating around on the #1 wr more often the comparison with revis will be more appropriate. i doubt we see revis shadowing guys like he did last year with two competent cover corners behind him.ill venture to guess we will see a decent amount of cromartie on the #1 with saftey help and revis abusing the #2 this season.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Numbers don't matter, save WR Rec and yards and TDs/

7. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

CB ratings and stats from profootballfocus.

Look where Revis' coverage rating is compared to anyone else in the league... #1
    Coverage is the most important attribute in a corner.

Look where Revis' opponents catch percentage against him compared to everyone else in the league... #1

Look where Revis' opposing QB ratings are when throwing at him compared to anyone else in the league... #1

In most of these the 2nd place guy isn't even close.

Enough said.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Aso's 2008 was unbelievable. It got no attention from the media because he's rotting away in Oakland, but I believe he gave up like 150 yards ALL SEASON. Correct me if I'm wrong there, but I know his 08 season was one of the best ever. With that said, what Revis did last year was fucking insane... He faced All-Pro WRs week after week and shut them down no problem.

Because of the WRs Revis has faced, and probably because I'm a Jets fan I'd say Revis by a hair. They are both what you would call 'shutdown corners'.

9. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Fixed the first sentence of your post.

Glad to see you added nothing to this board since being allowed to start a thread...

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Don't just look at the stats. Look at what he allows his defense to do. Nobody comes anywhere close to Revis in that regard.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That is what Rex said in an interview few months ago. He said his philosophy was to double cover #1 WR with #2 CB and safety while have #2 WR being shadowed by #1 CB.

But when he saw Revis, he decided he will put #1 CB on #1 WR and leave them on an island with not much safety help while manhandling the #2WR with #2CB and safety.

I don't think that will change. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. We had the #1 pass D last year by far. Why change a thing? Especially since now you got 2 more CBs that can actually stay on the field.

12. nastynice

nastynice New Member

haha, its all good, for every 4-5 pointless posts theres a legit post that gives me a lil more insight as to what type of player revis is. I never knew he was considered a "shut down corner", I thought he was just more of a playmaker, but some of those numbers you guys posted are pretty impressive. And yea, his game vs the bengals holding ochocinco to minimal yards was pretty impressive too (although ochocinco isn't as nasty as in years passed, i remember he was on a hot streak when they got to the playoffs, which got stopped quite abruptly).

Not taking anything away anything from Revis, but I think probably no one here's really seen aso play, which I don't blame u, the raiders have been suckin it up lately, they aint gonna get no prime time tv slots. I expected Jet fan bias (hey, we all have a lil bit of that), but wow, 100% to 0%. that's pretty nuts.

Just to give you an idea of what kind a blanket aso is, compare it to Revis' impressive playoff game vs the bengals. I see that ochocinco had only 28 yards, based off of what everyone here is saying, that leads me to believe that Revis gave up those 28 yards since I was told he shadowed the #1 the entire game. Now, as impressive as that is, which it truly is i'm not being sarcastic, that's probably still more yards than what aso gave up in his WORST game of the season. Maybe aso gave up more yards in one game, and i'm just throwing that out there for good measure.

I guess it kind of comes down to what you value more, Revis can't shut down a reciever like aso, no one can. I mean he can shut recievers down, for sure, but not aso style COMPLETE shut down. But revis is more likely to make game changing plays/turnovers, maybe that's because of his skill or maybe its because of Ryan's genius schemes, I tend to think its both because Revis has been pretty good since his rookie year, before Ryan got to ny (according to raider boards, i personally never heard of him til this year).

And speaking about scheme, maybe u guys r right, maybe Aso isn't targeted based on the fact that our defense has other huge holes in it. I personally don't think so, a corner doesn't see less than 2 throws per game unless they have made big impression on the opposing team. A corner doesn't give up less than 400 yards in a two season span (32 games, so that comes out to avg of what, 12 yards PER GAME) unless they are truly elite, no other nfl corner is even in the same stratosphere. Those numbers are retarded, video game numbers (if thats possible for a defensive player). Well, we've supposedly improved our run d this off season, hopefully that means teams can't avoid him, we'll see....

#72 nastynice, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

By the time the Raiders are relevant again, they will be replacing Aso at corner.

14. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

I would have to say Revis is hands down the best corner back in the NFL. Because of his talent and how he is used. Now Aso, can't control how he is utilized however, that still has to factor into the equation. For example, Devis Hester may be the most talented return man in the NFL, but if Chicago wants to use him only as a WR he can't be the best return man... As has been said many times, Revis get the opponents number 1 receiver every week, he follows him all over the field and shuts him down. Can Aso do that as well, maybe, but until he does, he can't be considered better than Revis.

15. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

But...... Asomugha got thrown at 27 times in the entire season, and gave up yards on half of them. Of course he didn't give up as much as Revis, why challenge Asomugha when the rest of the defence is so bloody awful? You take the easy yards and leave Asomugha out there scratching his balls. You can't tell the story just with stats, I'm afraid.

16. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Easy solution. Pop in Madden. Play as the Pats. Go against the Jets and throw 10 deep streaks to Moss with one on one coverage. Then do the same except vs the Raiders with Aso covering Moss. Whoever gives up less is better.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I wonder if Madden can help me decide what to cook for dinner tonight.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Madden will tell you to have a turducken.

19. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

I'm sure some of this was mentioned but just to go a little more in depth then my simple post earlier about this interesting debate, Asomugha always plays RCB. It is well documented that he stays to one side and only one side of the field, no matter where the best WR is. The biggest difference between Revis and Aso is Revis is always put in a position to challenge whoever is the best on the field while Aso sticks to generally the right side of the field, generally where the #2 WR resides. Why throw at Aso against your #2 when you can throw to your best WR against a far less capable CB? Not saying that is always the case, but the big time WRs the Raiders have played, to put it mildly, put up some pretty sexy numbers. Am I saying Aso got abused? Obviously not because he was thrown at only 28 times so he didn't give up a majority of those catches. But 21 of those passes were completed and what good is being a top 2 CB in the NFL if your not preventing WRs from putting up monster numbers? They say you know a CB is having a good day if the announcer doesn't mention his name often. True but as an example, if I'm Aso and Santonio Holmes has 8 catches for 149 yards 1 TD(which happened when they played last year), me as a competitor, I would want a crack at him.

Sure Aso is awesome and definitely is the 2nd best CB in the NFL. One thing we know for a fact is Revis DID shut down his competition. Another fact that we do know is Asomugha has faced some pretty pathetic competition based on being limited either by the scheme or being complacent and not asking to shut down opposing elite WRs head on. The unanswered question is, can anyone here honestly guarantee he would of gotten the same or better results as Revis did? No. Not because it can't be done, but because Asomugha has never faced such a challenge and it is more of an unknown then anything. That's too bad because I feel like the Raiders are wasting a great player.

The reason why Revis has been thrown at so much this year is because of 2 reasons. 1 because he is covering the opposing teams best WR almost exclusively and a QB will naturally throw to their best WR. And 2 because our defense is built to funnel all passes to Revis' way. Our safeties do play 2 deep zone from time to time but they cheat and overload the coverage towards the opposite side of the field Revis is covering, hoping the QB throws to our best player. We WANT Revis to be thrown at whereas Aso on his defense is the best CB on his team with no scheming built around his ability. That is sad based on the level of talent he has but at the same time you have to give Rex credit for building his D around Revis and taking full advantage of his skill set.

On Revis' tackling, he has missed 5 tackles on over 1,000 defensive snaps according to profootballfocus. CBs that I'd say are physical, sure tacklers would be Antoine Winfield, Quentin Jammer, and Charles Woodson just to name a few. Revis missed 5 tackles on 47 solo tackles(MT 10.6%), Winfield missed 4 tackles on 48 solo tackles(MT 8.3%), Jammer missed 7 on 48 solo tackles(MT 14.5%), and Woodson missed 8 on 69 solo tackles(MT 11.5%). Antoine Winfield is probably the best tackling CB in the NFL but only missed one less tackle on similar solo tackle attempts while Woodson and Jammer missed a slightly higher %. Revis is awesome in run support, I have seen him take down Brandon Jacobs in the open field by himself. As I'm sure you all know Jacobs is a problem for a LB to take down by himself, let alone a CB. Not saying he laid him out but he is very strong(See Revis youtube video of tossing TO like a rag doll) and he took him out by his legs which showed textbook technique on his tackling form along with his smarts. Aso missed 8 tackles on 31 solo attempts(MT 25.8%)

What is another, if not the most important, difference between the 2? Revis is VERY clutch and his big plays lead us to victories while Aso's play, fair or not, doesn't impact the outcome of many games. In his first postseason, Revis was absolutely incredible with shutting down whoever he faced and also finishing with 2 picks and countless deflections. Some may think Manning or Rivers weren't purposely avoiding Revis. Manning Had ZERO intentions of attacking Revis after he saw Revis was stuck on Waynes hip like glue. Do you think it was a coincidence that Revis was all the field covering whoever in against the Chargers and only got throw at 3 times? I think not. To me that's a big statement since Rivers is a man who openly admitted to going after Champ bailey, ending with mixed results. Obviously the Raiders are horrendous but Aso had a choice and could of gotten big money elsewhere. Instead he wanted to stay with the losing Raider organization over going to a winner.

People can debate about who's better in coverage, who's scheme helps more, whos GF is hotter, but I'll take the guy who I know for a FACT will play his best on the most important plays, in the most important games anyday of the week over someone who is complacent, clearly by his actions of not demanding to cover the best WRs and staying with the Raiders organization, and who MIGHT be just as good or better. Give me the sure thing any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

#79 ShAuN JoHN 9294, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  20. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

revis, hands down!