Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

I don't know. I guess we'll see, and hopefully for them Sue does make that kind of impact. But a team that's been 12-52 over the last 4 seasons, and only won 2 games combined the last two seasons, needs more then a little bit of help IMO. I mean I think their defense has been dead last in points and yards the last 3 years running if I'm not mistaken.

#221 2010LookinUP, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. ElleClouds

ElleClouds Banned

You are most definitely delusional. For one, Revis is not the best defensive player in the league and two, the Lions still wouldnt even be the best team in their division. Now to the original discussion, D. Revis is not worth 20 million a year. I hope the Jets pay him that kind of money for the sake of it being the catalyst to becoming a worse TEAM.

#222 ElleClouds, May 18, 2010
  3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Out of curiousity, who would you consider the best defensive player in the NFL?

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I didnt know you had to be the best team in your division to be a playoff contender.

5. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

You don't, but in the NFC you'll probably have to win 10 or 11 games. And the Lions win about that many games every 4 years.

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Figured you miami fans of all people would have a little faith in the Lions.

Didnt you guys go from one of the worst teams in the history of football to a playoff contender real quick ?

Matter of fact I think the Miami dolphins went from the single worst season in nfl history and then made the playoffs the following year.

#226 dcm1602, May 18, 2010
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmz_L1-aHw[/YOUTUBE]

8. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

Yeah actually we won the division the next year. But it was a little different. Surely you remember us coming through the meadowlands that year on the last day of the season?

The Dolphins had a bunch of injuries that 1-15 season and John Beck and Cleo Lemon were the QB's for 75% of the season when Trent Green went down. Then the next year when the Jets dumped Chad Pennington the Dolphins picked up a proven quality starter and with the combination of the regime change and Sparano and Parcells brought in we had a pretty decent year. The Lions on the other hand threaten to go 1-15 damn near every year, and have a joke of a front office.

9. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

In traditional negotiations it is typical for one side to high-ball and the other to low-ball just to reach somewhere in the middle when the dust settles. No cause for panic.

10. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I can't believe some are saying pay him $20m. No player is worth that, ATM, especially at any position other than QB.

Revis may go down one day as the best CB to ever play, but $20m??? That is not a sustainable price tag by any means. So yea, we may sign him for that, but what happens when he has an off year? Do you think management won't look at the salaries sheet and see $20m, with the next highest on defense being around, maybe, ~$7m, and say cut this guy?

Not to mention the ramifications of what that kind of deal would do to our other negotiations with Brick/Mangold/Harris. We'd be f***ing over our future for short-term gains. Cap or not, Woody won't continue dishing out that amount of money forever, if he's even willing to now.

$13-$15m is more than reasonable. Ask $20m and you can GTFO. If true, I say buy up all the remaining years on his contract and let that be that.

I love me some Revis, but not at that cost.

P.S. Damn this thread is long. Mambo speaks the truth, though.

#230 dthomas53, May 18, 2010
  11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

why do you have embarrassingly bad opinions and comments?

12. NYCriminal

NYCriminal Member

Jets' Revis not looking for $20M per year

From the NYPost

By yesterday afternoon, a story from the National Football Post's Mike Lombardi had reported that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is seeking a new contract that will pay him an average of $20 million per year.

By early evening, when contacted by The Post, Revis' agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, vehemently shot the report down as preposterous, wondering aloud where that information could have come from.

"We have never spoken to Mike Lombardi -- ever, not even when he worked for the Raiders," Feinsod told The Post. "Where he's getting his information I don't know, but it's not coming from our side."

It certainly isn't coming from the Jets' side, either. After all, why would someone from the Jets leak that Revis was seeking such big money?

Revis, scheduled to make $1 million this season, the fourth year of his original contract, is seeking a new deal and he is on record as saying that Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum "promised" him a new one before the 2010 season begins.

Revis' contract is a complicated one that can be voided after this season if the Jets opt to pay a $21 million buyout. The Jets could keep Revis under his existing contract and pay him $21 million over the next three years, but it'll be better business for them to tear it up and start over.

Revis, who finished second in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting to Packers cornerback Charles Woodson and started in the Pro Bowl, is likely seeking at least similar money to the $15.1 million Raiders' cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is making.

Asomugha signed a three-year, $45.3 million deal last offseason, a contract that makes him, based on average salary per year, the fourth-highest-paid player in the NFL.

The three players above him are Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers ($16.7 million), Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer ($16.2 million) and Giants quarterback Eli Manning ($15.3 million). Peyton Manning, considered by many as the most valuable player in the league, makes an average of $14 million.

Only three players last season -- the Giants' Eli Manning, Chargers QB Philip Rivers and Bears QB Jay Cutler -- made more than $20 million last season.

Revis, who hasn't talked about what his contract goals are, said last week that his agents had begun contract negotiations with the Jets, and Tannenbaum has said he's committed to keeping Revis in a Jets uniform for the rest of his career.

Revis last week hinted that, should he believe that the Jets are not backing up their promise to ink him to a new deal before the season, holding out of training camp, which begins Aug. 1, is not out of the question.

The Jets, by policy, do not comment on contract negotiations, so Tannenbaum was not available to address these issues.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ah another case of the "he said, she said bullshit" just like the Leon Washington fiasco, well hopefully that report is true that he doesn't want 20 mil

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

So Lombardi has gone the route of making shit up...Good to see that the $20 million was off base and that each side is committed to getting this deal done.

15. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

sounds like we can close this shit. $20 million would be crazy but when i heard it, i just shrugged and said pay him. whatever he wants i would pay him.

16. ElleClouds

ElleClouds Banned

It's hard to call, but it's not Revis. His position and team impact makes it hard for him to be considered the best defensive player when teams can take him out of the game by not throwing to his side. I would think that the "best" defensive player would make others around him better while still remaining to be a force in all aspects of defense ( tackling, coverage, play recognition and calling plays). With that said I'll just throw out a few defensive players better than revis starting with Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Patrick Willis is the best LB in the NFL, imo....is he better than Revis? I would say they're neck n' neck...when it comes to skill and what they bring to their respective positions on the field.

Ray Lewis is not better than Revis....not even fucking close. That's pretty retarded.

#237 MBGreen, May 18, 2010
  18. ElleClouds

ElleClouds Banned

I understand that it's hard to think revis isn't the best defensive player in the league because you are a Jets fan. I've seen Revis go from cb stud to best cb in the league and now best D player in the league on these forums only. How can you dispute my two points that Revis isn't the best defensive player and the Lions wouldn't automatically be a playoff team with him? I don't think you can which is why you chose to respond with a feisty reply rather than stating how you felt about what I posted.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's trying to earn the reputation as the Evil Fred Flintstone.

20. ElleClouds

ElleClouds Banned

This is what I mean right here. Some of you fans drink to much of that green kool aid from NY too much. Look up the history of Ray Lewis and his current impact and tell me he isn't a better defensive player than Revis. Even at his age, this man has been an anchor for the Ravens defense and changed the way alot of players play the game. Maybe after Revis plays a few more lockdown years, this discussion can be had, but as of now, you guys are reaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.