Ellis denied contract extension

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, May 13, 2010.

1. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

Nothing shocks me anymore with cut-throat Tanny.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I can not imagine a scenario in which Ellis is not the starting DE on opening day now that the drat has come and gone and he's still here. There is simply no way to replace a very good DE at this point. Having a big question mark at one DE spot going into the season is one thing, it's another to have 2 holes and your star DT coming off a knee surgery. You just don't do that if you're contending for a Super Bowl.

2011 is a different story and I can see him being let go.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This isn't really a shock statement is it?
    He'll be here next season and that will be it for him at a guess. I have to say I really thought we would have addressed DE in the draft, but trust in what the CS are doing.
    DE in next years draft anyone?

4. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

DE is not a big player in RR schemes, he will find a diamond in the rough to plug in and take up blocks. We will never use a Rd 1 pick on a DL whilst Rex is here imo as his whole background is to take unheralded UFA/Later rnd DL and make them fit the system.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Haloti Ngata disagrees.

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Lets just hope we win the superbowl this year so he can retire on a high note.

7. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

I have always liked Ellis, but let's be real this will be his last year with us, unless he takes a big pay cut. He understands this and is trying to do what he can for another year with hiscurrent salary. There is no way a player of his caliber(very good, not great) at this point in his career can afford to hold out a season.

On the other side you can't compare his situation with Faneca and Jones. They were both veterans, but played the majority of their careers with other teams. Ellis has been a lifer.

#27 Jets42long, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Jets explore trading veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/05/jets_have_explored_trading_vet.html

I'm usually one for saying replace the old guys with new young blood. But occasionally you have to give guys that bled green a chance to retire with the team that drafted him. Id like for us to keep him around till then.

9. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'm sure for the right price (low), he'd have the opportunity to retire with the Jets.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The bottom line here is....the Jets are already thin at the DL position.....we need to keep him for this season at the very least and address the DL position in the draft.

I'd love to see Ellis retire as a Jet...he's been a reliable stalwart on this defense and has earned the right. But we all know the NFL is a business too....a prime example of this is how Miami handled Jason Taylor.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know where the notion of cutting him comes from, but I doubt that is even something the Jets are entertaining. He's got a year left on his contract and he will play it out and most likely hit the FA market in 2011.

It's sad, because he is the longest-tenured Jet and has always been a consistent player, but unless he wants to come back for a ton less money, he'll probably be playing elsewhere next season.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

word. ellis, jenkins, pouha, devito, pitoitua, wright ... rex only dresses four dl's for games so if theyve seen things in pitoitua and wright that leads them to believe that theyll be contributers the it looks like ellis is the odd man out

the locker room might explode if we trade him though

13. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

Ellis played great last year and we would be nuts to get rid of him...even if we are shopping him there is no way we are shopping him and going to trade him for a younger 3-4 DE...so we would still be screwed...we need him this year....I understand not giving him a contract extension with all the other ones we have coming up but we need to retain him so how some way...at the end of the day with this stuff we have to trust Rex..I guess. but I don't want him going anywhere

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

He's not going anywhere this year. I figure that he's gone next season. It's going to come down to money v. performance v. age, and the team is not going to fork over the kind of money he's looking at for an again vet.

Unless of course he's willing to come in at a reduced salary, but I think that even then, the team may be looking to head in another direction.

15. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE SAY A TEAM IS "CHEAP" WHEN ALL THE TEAMS SPEND THE SAME DOLLARS"???????????????????????????

People and media like Florio keep saying these things...

I don't think PSL's effect This part of Team management AT ALL....

The Jets are looking to get / stay younger and always transition to keep under a salary cap...

It's NOT about being cheap - You simply cannot give Leon Washington the deal he wanted, Keep Faneca, Give Thomas Jones the money he wanted - Pay Revis, mangold, Brick and Harris AND give Ellis an extention....

There's a line in the sand and a lot of these moves IMO are prudent FOOTBALL MOVES - PSL's or not.....

Wether the league has one or not - the Jets are operating as if a Salary cap is or wil be in place - So, it makes sense to decide Who your Core players are and concentrate on locking them up - Unfortunately everyone else is collateral damage and can be replaced...
    Or at least you do your best to replace them.

I also take issue with Guys like Revis and Mangold saying stuff like "Well, I did everything asked of me and now I deserve to be paid X".....

Guy, it's business - You deserve to be paid a Billion dollars - Unfortunately, if you want to be on a successful team you need to realize there's a limited amount of money and the Team, like every other team, needs to spread the money around and try to find the optimal relationship between Money and Talent.

I think the PSL link is a big joke..... Francessa really believes anyone thought signing JT would add PSL sales or even LT over TJ... Or any of these moves??? This was all done looking at the future and cap of the team...

HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE SAY A TEAM IS "CHEAP" WHEN ALL THE TEAMS SPEND THE SAME DOLLARS"???????????????????????????

#35 Jet Blue, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As has been said already, he'll be a Jet until February. After that, barring a huge hometown discount, he won't.

The fanbase needs to start getting used to some tough decisions. Revis, Mangold, D'Brick, and Harris are going to be expensive. Factor in Cromartie, Holmes and Edwards as well.

Either we're going to overpay to keep a crowd favorite, or we're going to win. This is the lesson taught via Leon Washington, and will be taught again with Ellis.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Ellis. He's probably my favorite Jet of the decade. I'm willing to let him go if it means I get to keep Mangold and Ferguson protecting my prize QB though.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Can't blame him for trying, but does he think the Jets are that stupid. He's on his last leg, the Defensive Line is the one unit that is going to require a over haul next year. He's been a good Jet and I want to see him on the team this year, but he has great games and then dissapears for games

18. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Could be they're looking to move Ellis to acquire a pick and get rid of a negative influence on Holmes. Ellis has been suspended for wake and baking while Holmes stupidly twitters it.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

this may not be the right thread, but when it comes to re-signing revis, mangold, harris, etc we always say "we should't re-up anyone due the cba(?) and their might not be a 2011 season".

my question is, can't we write that into the contract? for example, pay revis $10m/yr IF there is NO cap, -or- %15 of the cap (whatever is is) if there is one.

also include that all 2011 garuanteed money is forfited if there is no 2011 season.

stuff like that.

just curious.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ellis will do everything he can to mentor Gholston and ensure Gholston explodes into a pro-bowl DE.

HAHAHAHAHAHA