Tannenbaum consulted Sanchez before drafting McKnight

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I don't see that happening-

Some coaches aren't cutout for both, I think Pete does a better job with the boys and has trouble with the men.

6-10 with us and took a NE team from the playoffs to a 8-8 team before he left.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

That's because he's an excellent recruiter, which is what 75% of college coaching is all about. There are still major questions about his actual coaching ability.

3. ........

........ Trolls

It's certainly possible. He's attributed his lack of success in the NFL to not having his own players to work with. The NFL is a completely different game, but Rex has shown that recruiting and motivation can still play a role at this level.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Exactly.
    The impression I have got since his appointment is just that, and we all know what a united locker room can do for a team.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

probably cus they gave 63 million bucks to matt cassel :rofl:

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Not only did he coach him, he recruited him, and probably recruited him heavily knowing what a star HS player he was. I wondered about this too.

Remember - Pete Carroll called Sanchez's decision to turn pro a mistake...

#46 LogeSection2RowJ, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  7. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The only issue I have with McKnight's use of the SUV is that he got caught. Assuming that recruits of his level don't get things is a joke.

No one kills Reggie Bush for taking the money, and no one should kill this guy.

I remember watching a pre game show when Darnell Dockett was in college and they were interviewing him with his suped up Denali in the background. At this point, you have to laugh about it.

-X-

8. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbYcJ1adPc[/YOUTUBE]

Instant classic.

I look forward to seing what this McKnight will do.

Look mom, I'm in the starting lineup now!

9. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Ok, it looks like I wasn't too far off and not the only one with question marks about Carroll passing on McKnight. Cimini caught up with Carroll and asked him. One of the reasons: Carroll was choosing Leon over McKnight in the trade.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjet...ght?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Caught up with an old friend Wednesday -- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, the former USC coach and the former Jets coach (for a New York minute, anyway). In five seasons with the Jets, the first four as the defensive coordinator, Carroll was always enjoyable to cover.

The topic of discussion was former USC RB Joe McKnight, the Jets' fourth-round pick. Carroll recruited McKnight out of New Orleans and coached him for three years.

"We thought Joe could be the guy that could have a chance to be like Reggie (Bush)," Carroll told ESPN New York.com. "Joe has great natural instincts and savvy. He's got great hands. He can run routes like a wide receiver. He has a terrific ability to make you miss, a kind of sleeky runner with excellent speed. He's a tough competitor. Joe loves to play the game. He'll fit right in. That role won't be too big for him."

For obvious reasons, McKnight was compared to Bush, and it turned into an albatross.

"It's totallyunfair for anybody," Carroll said of the comparisons. "Reggie was one of the greatest college players to ever play. Of course, we wanted to see if we could find the next one. We thought Joe had all those abilities. Joe didn't disappoint us to any extent with his range of abilities. It was just ... Reggie. Reggie was so unique."

Carroll candidly admitted that he and the coaching staff may have hurt McKnight's development by rushing him into a significant role as a freshman.

"We made a mistake early on, trying to do too much with him because it came so easy to him," he said. "We kind of messed him up early on. Once he got comfortable, he played very well for us.

"He had a little problem getting banged up," Carroll continued. "He had some unusual injuries. In the Rose Bowl, he was having a great game and he dislocates four toes on one foot. Weirdest injury I've ever seen."

Curiously, Carroll passed on the chance to draft McKnight in the fourth round. He decided to take Oregon DB Walter Thurmond. With the next pick, the Jets chose McKnight after trading up with the Panthers. It always sends up a reg flag when a coach passes on one of his former players, but Carroll gave two reasons: He needed defense and he already was working on the trade for Leon Washington, a McKnight-like back.

"He's got all kinds of special abilities," Carroll said.

10. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

Pete Carroll is a scrub.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So he could either get his halfback, or he could get a corner back and a halfback that plays like his halfback.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

From Peter King's Monday Morning QB:

Now the Leon Washington story. (I'm skipping over LenDale White and Kevin Vickerson being handed to Seattle because flip-flopping picks in two low rounds was, in essence, Tennessee saying, "We don't want these guys any more, and if you give us a bag of footballs, they're yours.'') Interesting coincidence. The last running back/playmaker on Seattle's board early in the fourth round was Joe McKnight of USC. Carroll, obviously, recruited him. If he was still there in the fifth round, Seattle was going to take him. But the Jets took him in the middle of the fourth, meaning Washington, coming off a gruesome compound leg fracture, was now available.

I'm guessing Carrol knew he could get Leon long before we picked McKnight.

#52 milo, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its simple... carroll knew he could get an extra 7th rounder and a RB from the Jets instead of taking McKnight with his 4th.

its a good move.

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I think it's more like he thought he could have waited to draft McKnight. When we got him, Carroll instantly became interested in Leon.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Oh that's right, I almost forgot that Mangold actually had a college connection with Holmes.

It's not news that Tanny consulted Sanchez, it would be irresponsible not to considering they were in the same huddle.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

read the end of the article... they were already working a trade for Leon.

17. Dirrty Sanchize

Dirrty Sanchize New Member

carroll wanted to build his team w/ familiar guys that he could get for cheap... lendale (familiar), leon (cheap)

18. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Nope, nope guys, read my subsequent post, where Rich Cimini asked Carroll about it specifically:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=1696594&postcount=49

Pete Carroll and Seattle were ALREADY in the process of trading for Leon when they made their 4th round pick. So I'm pretty sure the decision was already made - Seattle would have picked McKnight in the 5th round OR if he was gone by then would get Leon. Definitely they favored getting Leon over getting McKnight.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its cheaper to draft a 3rd day RB then to sign a veteran RB.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Pete Carroll passed on him.........OMG he is going to bust. Who cares he could have passed on him for a variety of reasons. He was going to take him with a fifth anyhow but once the Jets got him, he knew Washington maybe available.

BTW The Jets allowed the Seahawks docs access to LW's records. They didn't do this in a period of an hour, this trade was most likely brewing for a while. So both teams knew what they were looking to do. If McNight was not taken by the Jets Seattle knew the Jets were keeping him and they would have to draft JM. So what does all this mean..........nothing absolutely nothing.