Bady Quinn Vs. Calvin Johnson

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by jtrain, May 21, 2006.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

bing bing bing!

Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson......either one will do.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Brady Quinn is such a stud than why did he see little to no playing time his first two seasons at ND? Was it because they had such great QB's in front of him? No. Partially because Willingham ran a more Run oriented offense. I'm a big Irish fan and a bigger Jets fan. Quinn was like Warren Moon in the Run n shoot offense last year. Put up ridiculously gaudy numbers. Have never seen an Irish QB air it out like Quinn did last year. I'd temper my excitement on Quinn and see how he does this year. Even moreso, you have to decide if it's Quinn or if it's the system he's in. And I coached against and have seen Jarret play since he was at New Brunswick HS in Jersey. Great to see the local kid get huge pub. But the Jets better not draft him. He will have a good career in the pros as possession receiver because he was great size. Yet Does not have the strength or speed to be a premier WR in the NFL IMO.

#22 JetsNation06, May 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2005
  3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

That's a shaky argument though. Yes, Calvin had Reggie Ball, who is beyond terrible, but like you said, did his thing with less, his thing wasn't really near Dwayne's.

Johnson 2 year total: 102 rec, 1725 yds, 16.9 ypc, 13 TDs
    Jarrett 2 year total: 146 rec, 2123 yds, 14.7 ypc, 29 TDs

So really it's about even in that "talent around him-production" regard.

4. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

As opposed to the "2 month experts", who somehow, and quite magically I might add, go from never hearing of a player to acting like the final judge of his talent during March and April. Yeah, those people are OH, so much better.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Enough already, the draft is over and gone, no more draft talk. Isn't anyone sick of this? Lets start getting ready for the 06 season and anticipate the jets in 06 run.

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lets wait until after the season ends, because these players may not even be the people we want when it matters most, Ex. Mathias Kiwanuka was a top 5 pick this time last year, now people were ripping the Giants for picking him 32nd. Too many things can happen between now and by the time the draft rolls up for us to be speculating on who do we pick next year.

7. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Calvin Johnson, no doubt.

8. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

That catch is sick. So is the one against Miami.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

im with ya...and whats with the guy with the pelfrey avatar...didnt i just read that batters are hitting like 350 against this kid in the eastern league???he's avatar-worthy already????

10. Irv

Irv Member

And as a bonus, he'll even victimize Justin Miller in practice.

I think the only real promise Calvin made to his mom was that he'll get his degree. He could take summer classes like Jarrett Jack is.

As far as the comparison between Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett is concerned, Johnson's YPC is better than Jarrett's even when you take into consideration that Johnson hardly ever gets any YAC because Reggie Ball just chucks the ball in Calvin's vicinity. Those amazing catches against NC State and Miami (I'm talking about the sideline whip, not the Superman catch) never would have happened if the Calvin wasn't reaching to save off-target throws.

11. gtchad

gtchad New Member

Yes reggie ball sucks, but the pass against NC state would have been picked off or gotten Calvin killed if he threw it in front of him

12. Hazardous Waters

Thank you!

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Normally i would agree with u in a sense that we should wait until the season but that just tells u some of the posters including me arent really optimistic in us doing much this year in terms of winning.

14. azjet

azjet New Member

I think the QB issue will shake itself out in pre-season and the RB position will determine this years finish and next years draft. Can't win without the good to great back....1000 yards or better.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Even if we aren't going to do well, it doesn't guarantee that Quinn or Johnson would do well either, and that is my real point, we have no idea even if they look good now, if they will still look good by the time it matters

16. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

that catch was bananas

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Why are some people in this thread so uptight with talking about next year's draft prospects? Do you realize what forum you are in?

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this is a bad question IMO. Since its much harder to project the success of a QB to the Pro's, you go with the WR. Calvin Johnson isnt just any regular wideout either.

Were talking about a reciever who hs good speed at 6 ft 4 and will play anywhere from 220-230. not to mention the kids hands! All American since day 1.

Quinn looks like one of the most polished prospects at QB but only after one year of Weiss tutelage after looking avg for two yrs. I think he'll be a success.

But most of all, nowadays your finding alot more corners who are over 6 ft and weigh in at 190-205. thats why you see players like Matt Jones, Mike Williams, Reggie Williams and such now. Sure size means nothing on paper, but when a WR can use his body to block out defenders youve found something.

Brady Quinn looks better since QB is a more important position, but Johnson is defnitely more of a sure thing.

19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It started in the Jets forum and was moved here

20. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner