Kerry Rhodes Traded (4th and 2011 7th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JAMESDEARTH, Mar 6, 2010.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If we have to trade up and blow say our 1st and 2nd round pick to move up (since lets be honest a later 4th round pick isnt getting us anywhere) then no that makes the trade a bust.

Wed effectively be giving up the ability to trade down and have two 2nds a 3rd and 4th round pick, just so we can replace rhodes.

I mean yeah if the guy we trade up for ends up being a top 2 maybe top 3 safety thats one thing, but otherwise were just screwing ourselves and the whole offseason would probably be a bust for that reason alone. Especially since were already missing a 3rd or 2nd round pick next year.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We could move up a few spots with the 4th rounder.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Id bet money against the jets moving up for a safety. It just doesnt make ANY sense at all. We got a lot of guys getting older who we need to build up some depth behind.

4. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

On a side note, I was listening to 620 am sports in Arizona, on my way to work today. Next thing I know Kerry Rhodes is on in an interview. At the end of the interview he gives a shout out to A. Wilson, and says something like "we are the best safety combination in the league" The guy makes me sick. Then after the interview, Ron Wolfley says " I feel like getting Rhodes and losing A. Rolle is a wash" I guess we'll have to wait a few more months until we get to watch the best safety combo in the league!!!!!

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Kerry Rhodes just talks to hide his lackluster effort on the field. Case in point: he is a cancer.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It does make sense if the Jets have there eyes on locking up OJ Atogwe to a nice deal from the Rams for basically nothing. Then i think from there the draft becomes even more expandable.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

????

So if the Jets get Atogwe... A safety, it makes sense that the Jets would trade up to... get a safety ?

And even if we do get Atogwe that doesnt mean we have draft picks to waste. Right now we have 3 picks in the first 4 rounds and missing 1 pick in the first 3 rounds next year. We need depth/ soon to be starters @ DE/DL/DE we need a slot reciever, we have a few old guys on the oline, we have an old fullback, we need a pass rushing linebacker.

I dont think it makes sense at all for a team already short prime draft picks this year and next to give up draft picks unless theres a glaring need. I mean if we give up a 6th or 7th rounder to move up a couple of slots thats one thing (ie to move up 2 spots to get in front of SD to grab Ryan Matthews), but we are absolutely not in the position to waste picks.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You don't care what Rex says? Rex knew more about defensive football when he was a teenager than you will ever know in your entire life.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Correction: Rex forgot more about defensive football when he was a teenager than most of us will ever know in our entire lives.

I was initially upset about the trade, but screw that. Rex knows what he's doing. A year ago we were letting Favre retire and facing going into camp with Rex allowing Chad and Kellen to battle for the QB spot. Little did we know he was intent on adding our future franchise to the mix.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

@DavidClowney

@kerryrhodes Dont really know if I should say congrads or DAMN,.. But good luck out there in AZ homeboy.

hhahahah

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

def not trading up for taylor mays, but eric berry and earl thomas both have that kind of potential ... if thomas falls into the 20s, i would love to trade up for him

otherwise i'd actually like to trade down

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Lmfao!

Wow, you'd think this guy was a fukin 12 time pro bowler!

Gratuitous Linky

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't wait to check out the Cards forums at the end of next season.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Ten bucks says Kerry will be doing Charmin commercials sometime in his future.

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Carrie is on the rag again.

Rhodes takes parting shots at Jets aka Carrie is on the rag again.
    By Rich Cimini

In an interview this afternoon with Michael Kay on ESPN radio, former Jets S Kerry Rhodes unloaded on his old team.

Basically, Rhodes said the defensive coaching staff played favorites, giving their former Raven players more opportunities than him to make plays. He took that as "a slap in the face." He also accused the coaches of not making him feel comfortable, and he ripped the organization for a smear campaign, claiming it leaked stuff about him being too preoccupied with his off-the-field interests.

"The D coordinator and the rest of those guys didn't feel like I was the focal point -- or one of the focal points -- on the defense," Rhodes said. "It was more like, 'Oh, we brought in our guys ... and our guys know the system, so we're going to let them run things and you guys just learn it and fill in with them,'" Rhodes said. "To me, it doesn't work that way. Not to sound arrogant, but I've always been the guy that coaches would say, 'Okay, you run the defense, you help them get lined up and make plays. It was kind of a slap in the face."

Obviously, Rhodes was referring to Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard and Marques Douglas, the former Ravens. But if Rhodes' theory is right, how do you explain that the two best defensive players -- Darrelle Revis and David Harris -- were holdovers from the previous staff?

"In the beginning, they didn't make me feel the way I think you should make people feel," Rhodes said. "It just didn't work."

Rhodes seemed particularly offended by those who have questioned his commitment to football. Coordinator Mike Pettine, who clashed with Rhodes, said after Rhodes' benching that he wanted the safety to spend more time at the facility.

"Ridiculous," Rhodes said. "It's an easy way to place blame or shift the situation to something you want it geared to ... Whenever you have something that's not going the way you think it should, people always try to lay blame. I guess some stuff was said. I was an easy target. I was an easy scapegoat for somebody to say, 'He's worried about other stuff. He's not putting his all into it and doing what he should be doing on the field.' It gave those guys an easy way out, just to blame it on that.

"To hear that stuff kind of bothers me, but I never let it be known until now."

Rhodes didn't buy the Jets' rationale for making the trade. He said GM Mike Tannenbaum told him they needed extra draft picks.

"They told me I was the only player they could use to get picks," Rhodes said. "I still take that as an excuse. You can get picks for anybody. You can get picks for Mark Sanchez if you want them, but he's still there."

My take: For the first 10 games, Rhodes had as many interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries as I did -- zip. He fell out of favor with this coaching staff and, although Eric Mangini never will admit it publicly, he, too, was down on Rhodes and regrets the long-term extension he gave him in 2008.

Is it a coincidence that Rhodes failed to live up to the expectations of two entirely different coaching staffs? I think you know the answer to that question.

By the way, Browns S Brodney Pool will make a free-agent visit Wednesday to the Jets. He's a restricted free agent, but didn't receive a tender and it free to sign with no compensation owed to the Browns.
    ----
    Can't post the link because I'm under 50. It's at the daily news.

#555 Organized Chaos, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So if they lock up a 28 year old safety long term you think that there is more of a chance for the Jets to move up in the draft to pick a safety?

17. JOISEYJET

JOISEYJET New Member

Since it was a 2010 4th rd. pick & a 2011 7th we got 4 Rhodes, What happens if there is a Lockout of Football in 2011, do we lose that 2011 pick,did someone out play Mr. T.

18. ........

........ Trolls

If there's a lockout, it won't come until AFTER the 2011 draft.