Salary Cap in 2011

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Mar 5, 2010.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

If they do bring the salary cap back in 2011 we are completely screwed.

We have so many good young players on the verge of getting that highly wanted 2nd contract.

How are they possibly going to keep the core together?

The following players are up for new contracts in the next 2 seasons:
    Brick
    Mangold
    Harris
    Cromartie
    Leon Washington
    Braylon Edwards

Not to mention further down the road:
    Revis
    Keller
    Greene

No one really knows what the salary situation is going to be in 2011 but if they do bring back a hard cap we are going to lose many of these players.

The Jets need more draft picks, so that they can fill roster spots with quality players who will not have to be paid for 4 years.

Obviously Woody, Faneca, Jenkins and Ellis will not be around forever and they can use some of that cap space down the road for these guys but it's not going to be pretty.

I'm hoping at some point that the front office realizes that the reason that Steelers, Giants, Ravens are Colts are competitive almost every season is due to the draft and development of their own players.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That's nine players, out of over 53...I don't think they are just blowing money with no plan for the future.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Yeah but those 9 players along with Sanchez and Gholston could probably fill up a large majority of the salary cap.

I hope they have a plan or else will be in cap hell very quickly.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing and you have a point... at this point I hope someone baits on Leon 2nd round tender (or that we re-sign him long term this off-season).

Keep in mind that in 2011 we'll cut Faneca for sure freeing 7 mill and this year we are already getting back 10 mill from dead money.

This is also another reason why I want to trade away Rhodes... drafting a FS in his place (or moving Lowery to FS as I've said numerous times) means we save another 5/6 mills with which we can re-sign those guys.

Make it happen Tanny!!!

5. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this post, hope they get extensions done this year that lessen the hit later for players like Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Tanny is a cap genius and has been an exceptional GM so far. I'm not worried.

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I will be very happy if we could get a 2nd for Leon and a 2nd for Rhodes. Then we could draft two young players that would be under contract at a cheap price for 4 or 5 years.

I do not want to give Leon a big contract. He's 2 years from 30, never proven he can carry a large part of the load and his knee injury just shows that giving running backs a big second contract is very risky.

I would love to get back a 2nd round pick for Rhodes. I believe that he really is not the type of player that Rex Ryan wants on his defense. The first priority is tackling and that's Kerry's last priority. I would not trade him for less then a 2nd or high 3rd since you have to replace him as well.

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think he has done a great job too, but he unless he knows that the salary cap is gone he needs to start figuring out how he is going to keep together the young core of this team.

The talent level on this team compared with when he took over is just amazing. Someone should compare the roster that he inherited vs what we have today.

My point is that they need to stop trading picks and start building more through rounds 2-4 in the draft. With a salary cap the only way to stay good in the NFL is to keep drafting well in the middle rounds where you can get very good players at a low cost.

9. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Great post OP, this is my greatest concern moving forward.

I'm not a darksider, but this is one of the more pressing issues the Jets have to deal with.

As much of a "cap genius" Tanny is you can't ignore the fact we've been incredibly top heavy talent wise.

'Quants" on Wall-Street were also dubbed as geniuses. The creation of CDS' was supposed to keep money flowing to infinity. Then the house of cards came tumbling down. *cough*

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Draft a strongly worded letter and we'll all sign it

They'll find a way to make everybody fit, some of our players aren't getting any younger and they'll be cut for cap savings (Faneca and Woody in particular as well as Bryan Thomas on the defense).

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

True, but it's not like Tannenbaum is pinching money from the side away from the cap.

I have the utmost confidence in Tanny. He'll have some tough decisions to make going forward, but I trust he'll make good ones.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So will you be okay with the idea that we can't keep Harris and he winds up on the Patriots or Dolphins?

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Where did I imply that?

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tannenbaum spoke in an interview about this on the official site about a month ago. He said they are running their budget as if there was already a cap in place. Which pretty much negates the comments on this board and others about the lack of a cap being a sign that the team can and will just go on a spending spree with no boundaries.

#14 abyzmul, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

You didn't imply it, but it's certainly a possibility. I don't see any chance that all of those guys sign 2nd contracts with the Jets.

Just imagine what kind of huge contracts most of these players are going to be expecting.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

/thread

as expected. Tanny has my 100% trust in regards to managing the cap.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Like I said, not everybody on the current roster will be a part of the roster in 2-3 years. Guys like Faneca, Woody, Thomas, Pace, Scott, Ellis, Jenkins are all getting older and may start to decline to the point that they're not worth their contracts. They'll be cut/traded for cap savings. Like you said before, this is where the next few drafts will be key. We need to really hit on most of our draft picks so we have adequate replacements for these guys.

I think that Tanny knows what he's doing and will find a way to fit everybody under the cap

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'm not a huge fan of the salary cap in the first place.

With all the money the NFL is making they should raise the cap and the basement.

It's absolutely ridiculous for teams that are making money to have to get rid of good players or not sign the players they really want.

The Jets have a huge fan base and are worth 1.2 billion as of last year, which is only going to go up. The Yankees are worth 1.5 and they get to take full advantage of their value and pour it back into the team.

Every time salary cap comes up it just pisses me off. Why should we have to have the same team salary as the Jags, Seattle, or even Oakland(who is losing money).

The IT industry doesn't limit how much Google can pay their employees or Apple, and they're both printing money.

I apologize for the rant, it just pisses me off- I want to BUY a SB!!

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I hope your right but I don't see how it's possible. In addition to fitting everyone under the cap he's also going to have find replacements for Woody, Faneca, Ellis and Jenkins. Those are all key positions. He is going to have to use the draft to fill those positions.

20. JOISEYJET

JOISEYJET New Member

What keeps Trader Mike from just Front loading contracts on our proven guys ,in our uncapped Season this year, AND thus freeing up cash for other contracts when the cap kicks back in ?