Jets record in 2006

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, May 12, 2006.

1. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Well, there's your answer. Where was he the rest of the season???....

I have nothing against Pennington, and like I said, he's clearly the best QB out of the three when he's healthy. I just don't think at this stage {with his injuires}, he's head and shoulders above Harrington or Ramsey. We'll see how it unfolds for all of them this off-season, but if I were a Jets fan I wouldn't expect Pennington to beat out Ramsey. His arm just doesn't have the fire it use to, and Ramsey is healthier....

2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

It'll add up to 16.

3. parafly

parafly New Member

OK, well we are not debating durability here. The initial argument was who is the better QB, and Pennington is the obvious answer. At least Pennington led his team to the playoffs a few times. Both Ramsey and Harrington haven't even been able to lead their team to a winning record.

He is head and shoulders above Harrington. They are not even close to being comparable. Maybe if Harrington's career interceptions were cut in half, you'd have a case...

So please, show alittle respect to Pennington. Until your team actually finds a way to beat him, you have no right to criticize him.

4. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

To make a case, you MUST first factor in everything. That means Penningtons' bum shoulder is part of that equation. Pennington hasn't been able to finish an entire season in two full years, and his arm strength has diminished quite a bit due to his two surgeries in consecutive years.....

To say Pennington is "head and shoulders" better than Harrington is a reach at this stage. Another main factor we need to add in, is Harrington coming into a much better situation in Miami. His numbers in Detroit could easily be surpassed now that he's playing for a team with real direction....

And as for respect, I think I gavce Pennington more than he deserves at this stage. He's just about one more poor season away from being labled a bust in his own right. I'm not saying Harrington isn't facing similar criticism because he is, but if Pennington can't beat out Ramsey, what does that tell you about Mangini's confidence in Pennington's ability to lead the Jets offense as he once did when he was healthy....

5. parafly

parafly New Member

Obviously everything must be factored in, and if we were debating durability, Pennington would lose hands down. But factoring everything in, even his injury problems, there is no doubt that Pennington is much better.

IMO, it is too early to tell whether Pennington's arm strength has diminished "quite a bit" from his two shoulder surgeries. Two years ago, he led us to within a field goal of the AFC Championship Game while playing half the season with a torn rotator cuff. Last season, he was put in way too early and was never given enough rehab time for his shoulder. Clearly, he was not even close to being 100%. I would like to see how things turn out for him once his shoulder is given the appropriate amount of rehab time. Every time I hear people say he has no arm strength, I picture his 50 yards bomb to Santana Moss in the playoffs two years ago. Keep in mind that this throw was made with a torn rotator cuff.

I don't think Pennington will be labeled a bust. Most likely, he will be labeled as a guy who couldn't reach his potential because of injuries.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Why are you even replying to a knucklehead blowhole fan?

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Your own post destroys your argument. TD 60 INT 62, having one of the best WR corps on the planet, is god awful. That's Vinny T on the Bucs horrible. Extrapolate all of those stats to 1000 attempts and Penny is FAR superior, and Ramsey's TD total wouldbe off the charts. Harrington couldn't hold their jocks.

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats a fair analysis.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Of what, delusion? Again, extrapolate those numbers to 1000 attempts for each and rank them. Harrington is the worst by a long shot.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

and he states that. He says that if the Pennington stays healthy..his performance would out rank the other two. No?

Not a fan of blitzes style sometimes..but he does basically say that if all three are healthy...Pennington is the better qb.

11. parafly

parafly New Member

Yes, that is what he says, but I still feel he is wrong.

When healthy, Pennington is BY FAR better than the other two QB's. Bring his injury history in account, and he is still better. Saying that it's a toss up between a proven winner and a perennial loser is just plain wrong, injuries or no injuries...

12. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

We play 5 playoff teams from the previous year in the first six games.........its going to be rough..........

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Well, I agree with that one sentence as well, but you quoted his entire misguided post and called in a fair analysis.

14. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

What makes it so "misguided"???....All I did was post the career numbers, and give my opinion in the process. I don't think that's misguided at all. I even stated that I think a "healthy" Pennington is better than both Ramsey / Harrington....

The problem is that a "less than healthy" Pennington may not even start for the Jets in 2006, and if that ends up being the case, what will come of Pennington's future??....He may never see time as a starting QB again.....

15. parafly

parafly New Member

Yep, that's defintely a possibility. But I would put money on him coming back and being successful. He has shown me great things while playing injured. I can't wait to see him healthy again.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Stop right there, that's where you went all misguided. You gave an opinion that didn't match the numbers you provided. Give them all the same number of attempts and really look at the numbers. Penny would by far be the best of the bunch, and Ramsey would be far superior to Harrington.

Comp Att Comp % TD INT
    Pennington 1307 2000 65% 94 51
    Ramsey 1115 2000 56% 79 67
    Harrington 1094 2000 55% 67 69

Honestly, if you had to choose two, would Harrington honestly be one of them?

17. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

And you're calling my response "misguided"???.....:lol:

Yours is much worse. You're changing everything by adding something {2000 attempts} that doesn't even exist. Talk about being misguided??..That's about as misguided as you can get....

Why not just stick with reality, and go with what we have in front of us?? I love Fantasy Football, but your senario above gives the word a whole new meaning....

18. parafly

parafly New Member

He's just trying to level the playing field.

In any case, just look at the touchdown to interception ratio for each player. Harrington's is just plain horrible, and if you consider the receivers he was throwing to, it's hard to understand how he is still in the league.

19. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3531

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3560

Comparing those two stat wise is meaningless. Harrington has much better stats, and a lot more starting experience...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2149

Now, when I look at Pennington's numbers, I see a guys who started his career very slow, had one very productive season. His numbers reflect that if he can come back healthy, he'd be the best of the three at debate here. That's a big if though, and if last year was any indication of the arm strength issues, he may not even be able to edge out Ramsey....

I like Pennington, but he was dealt a big blow after having back to back shoulder injuries. I hope he makes it back, but right now, I think it's Ramsey's job to lose....

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

"ex?trap?o?late (k-strp-lt) KEY

VERB:
    ex?trap?o?lat?ed , ex?trap?o?lat?ing , ex?trap?o?lates
    VERB:
    tr.

To infer or estimate by extending or projecting known information.
    Mathematics To estimate (a value of a variable outside a known range) from values within a known range by assuming that the estimated value follows logically from the known values.
    VERB:
    intr.

To engage in the process of extrapolating."

To give a fare evaluation of statistics, sometimes its better to create a baseline by estimating numbers based on currents percentages. The baseline I used was 2000 attempts, and then used their current stats to project their stats over 2000 attempts. Now we can make an apples to apples comparison of the stats that YOU tried to use to support your side of the debate. Clear? So remove the names, based the extrapolated stats which QB to you pick last?