The "we should get Torry Holt" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Feb 6, 2010.

1. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

He might not have a choice. Play him out wide in 3 WR sets (Cotch in the middle) and he can sit otherwise.

2. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I'd keep Cotchery at flank. From what I've heard, Holt might not even have Cotch's speed anymore.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The argument for getting Holt as our 3rd WR would be to use him on the outside and put Cotchery in the slot on 3 WR formations. Cotchery would be a great slot receiver.

4. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

'Tis what I said. I think that would work well for us.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Last season i was all for it but not this season, lets draft a guy with great speed forget about Holt.

6. 1EyeWalker

1EyeWalker New Member

Am i the only one who thinks Holt is old and is garbage (especially if a receiver starved team like jacksonville is giving up on him) and that we should address the slot in the draft?

7. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I think we should sign him because we have the same last name, then I can get my name on a Jets jersey without paying a premium.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This thread is absurd. The Jets have had been down this road so many times in the past it has failed almost every time. Holt is OLD. The Jets are a young and up and coming team. Why bring in a washed up receiver? Anybody remember Art Monk as a Jet? This would be Monk redux. Let's sign Lott and Atwater again while we are at it. And Leonard Marshall. I hear Neil O'Donnell is available. The days of the Jets being the place where former All Pros go to die are over. The Jets are fine with Cotchery, Edwards, Keller and Smith. A 3rd wide receiver 10 years younger than Holt can be picked up off the trash heap. Besides, WR is just not a major need on this team.

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Art Monk
    Curtis Conway
    Torry Holt
    NO THANX

[​IMG]

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZIvgQ9ik48[/YOUTUBE]

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

No receivers born in the 70's please! We need to get younger and faster and find somebody in the draft Sanchez can grow with.

12. CheapJersey

CheapJersey New Member

There are several reasons why I like this,
    1st- Being a Run first team, most of the time you won't have 3WR on the field anyway. So being "old" isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. He may only be able to do 50% of the work he used to do but he'll only be on 50% of the time.
    2nd- With the FA rules this year being able to pick up a veteran player with no penalties is huge (to me at least) Of course everyone would like a big name TD machine but as a team we need to take baby steps. He could absolutely help the young guys out and give us a legit target on 3rd down.
    3rd- As stated previously this helps out our draft situation, we can focus on another need and hold off on WR (for at least a year) Early round anyway. We could always pick up someone later in the draft.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Yeah you are right... old players always suck right!? Darrn Sharper clearly sucked for the Saints right?

This argument is bullshit.

IF a team is young it's ok to bring in a vet or two... plus it's not like Holt would be the every down go to guy, we are just talking about bringing him in as a #3 guy.

I get so pissed off when I read comments asking for EVERY player on the team to be under 25 years old.

Cotchery is 27. Edwards, B. Smith and Wright are 26. Clowney is 24.
    Would it really kill this team to bring in a vet WR? Plus Holt is only 32/33... there are many WRs that play very well even past that age.

But no, he's old therefore he sucks... -.-"

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Please explain why we need to get younger when no WR on this team is older than 27... please enlighten me...

doesn't it occur to you that MAYBE this move would give us the option to not draft a WR and allow us to get younger in positions where WE ACTUALLY NEED to get younger (like DL)?

Plus HOLT IS 32/33!!! He isn't 37 like Marvin Harrison for god's sake!!!

OMG, drafting Gholston sucked... let's NEVER draft an OLB in the first round again please...

#54 Mambo9, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Well, now he's officially released. I think this guy will have quite a few suitors, but I don't think he fits with the Jets' needs. He's still a good receiver. Maybe not what he was 6-7 years ago, but still good. There are quite a few teams that need that...... Carolina, Bears, Ravens, etc. NE might even go after him. He's a good guy, I hope he catches on with a winner somewhere, just not the Pats.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind getting him as a 1 or 2 year upgrade at the #3 WR spot. He was cut, so I think that means we can freely pick him up without regard to the final 8 plan.

I'd much rather draft D-line and O-line as much as possible early on.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

how about the Mambo09 has an obsession with WR's thread?

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

not the same IMO....... those guys were brought in to be "the man". Holt would be brought in to be nothing more than a sure handed #3 guy and an upgrade to those they have now, which he is.

Also, it usually takes a rookie WR a few years to be effective in the NFL (possibly one of longest adjustment period positions after QB and maybe LT) not saying that a young guy shouldn't be drafted, but considering the current state of the JETS and anticipated improvement of Sanchez, Holt could make more of an immediate impact until the young guy gets his feet wet.

#58 stinkyB, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  19. ........

........ Trolls

Agree wholeheartedly. As I said earlier, he's an excellent fit given our FA restrictions. We need to make our draft picks count more than ever this offseason.

20. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Whoever gets him, at least they aren't getting a head case. By the way, Holt and Cotchery..... both N.C. State grads. Yeah, I'm biased. :)