Parcell's regrets going to the Jets? (indirectly)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by toon, Feb 1, 2010.

1. toon

toon New Member

Happened to catch this on NFL.com for the live chat Parcell's conducted.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/744

Last question asked:
    -----------------------

Dan, Bayonne,NJ
    "What is your biggest regret with regards to your coaching career?"

Bill Parcells, Miami Dolphins
    "Hi Dan, probablty having to leave the New England Patriots."

-----------------------
    I left his spelling error intact.

Yes, I know he didn't say "I regret coaching the Jets" - I'm sure he doesn't. But, if Parcell's didn't leave the Patriots, well - one can only imagine how different the late 90's would have gone down. Particularly, (most likely) no AFC championship and no Monday Night Miracle.

2. GreenMachine

The Monday Night Miracle was under Al Groh.

3. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

considering the success the patriots have had i doubt anyone who left that seat would feel otherwise

4. toon

toon New Member

You're right, thanks for the correction.

5. GreenMachine

No biggie. He probably regrets leaving because of 99 not 98..And creating the BB ass monster.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Fuck him, he runs the Fins now. Parcells can blow a goat on top of the meadowlands for all I care.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The OP is right. I mean, Parcells put the team together. If he was not here there would not have been a MNM. Hey, the team probably would not have a winning record still. He turned around the franchise. I am forever grateful for Parcells.

As for Parcells saying that, his team went to the Super Bowl. He booked after the game to NY. If he would have stayed he could have won some titles there probably. His move to NY really changed the fortune of both franchises.

8. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

He "runs" the phins, yet he drafted Pat White? Come on. Parcells is a figure head that does nothing for the phins.

Theres no way, no way what so ever, never, ever, never, would Parcells waste a 2nd round pick on Pat White. IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

Parcells does nothing for the phins and I'd put money on it he's out before the start of 2010.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read much into this statement. He's probably just regretting burning bridges with that organization. I still got a ton of respect for Parcells.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He gets paid by them. Who cares if he runs the draft or not. He is their President. He left the Jets. He is not a Jet. So I say again Fuck him.

(About the bolded portion) Oh but it did............ Btw do you happen to know Parcells draft record with the Jets? It isn't so fantastic as to dismiss the idea he had a hand in the drafting of Pat White.

#10 Miamipuck, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I really don't understand what the obsession is with Parcells.

He drafted James Farrior, who did not fit the team, 8th overall and started only 12 games in three years after his rookie season try out. He was an underachiever for the most part being the 8th overall.

He drafted Rick Terry, 31st overall. He lasted a few games with the Jets. Dedric ward was drafted 88th overall and had a below average career.

His entire 97 draft class was a bust considering how much Farrior contributed throughout.

In 98 he drafted, well, himself with the first round (compensated to NE for his trade). Dorian Boose in the second round. He had 27 tackles over his career. Scott Frost in the third was a bust as well. Third rounder Kevin Williams didn't last long either. Jason Fabini in the 4th was a really good value pick, I'll give him that. Besides Fabini, the rest were a bust for the Jets.

In 99, Randy Thomas was a good 2nd round pick. David Loverne was a wasted pick in the 3rd. Jason Wiltz was a wasted 4th round pick also. Besides Randy, the entire draft was a bust. The only good thing that did come out of this draft was Curtis Martin. 1st rounder went to the Pats for him.

In 2000, he had the golden opportunity to land a bunch of stars with FOUR first round picks. He did an average job with such high picks. Ellis was solid, but maybe not worth 12th overall. Abraham was a good pick. Chad looked good until injuries. Becht? Coles was an excellent pick in the third.

Thats his track record with the Jets... OMG How impressive? He did shit to build this team. Picked up couple of players via trade of FA and that is about all he did. The team played well but it didn't have much to do with Parcells. We picked up several folds talent in the last 4 drafts in the first rounds alone than he did with a bunch of first rounders and the remaining draft.

Stop thinking like he changed the culture. Sure he had a great season in 98 but that was mainly due to Vinny beig in his prime. By the time he had left, our salary cap situation was fucked. Not that it was his fault alone, but he was the HC and the GM for a few years leading up to it.

Fuck him. Herm picked up more talent than he did and he is chewed on this board like a piece of gum, not that he shouldn't. When I see us giving Parcells too much credit, it makes me hate him even more. He had a few good seasons with the Jets that were capable of it without him. Rich Kotite just wasn't cut out for NFL but Parcells was lucky to have a few good players in their prime.

#11 Jets n Boys, Feb 2, 2010
  12. JOISEYJET

JOISEYJET New Member

The only thing B.P. probably regreted about comming to the JETS is the timing he came ,I bet he wish`s he came when Woody owned the team (A Billionaire who didn`t mind spending the money to win ,instead of comming here when Hess owned the team ,A Billionaire who was a little cheap at times....

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The love fest for Parcells is puzzling especially when you consider that he abandonded the team after only 3 years and one playoff appearance. He quit on us, and then, as he usually does, changed his mind and coached somewhere else. Plus Belichick left because of him. Even when Parcells quit as a coach, he stayed on as a GM type (and he is a terrible GM - look at his drafting record above) and Belichick did not want to coach under his shadow. Then before he quit, he awarded all the old Jets "midnight" raises that killed the Jets salary cap status. He will always be a jerk and a quitter in my book.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You stole my thunder ...plus he left us in cap hell when he walked out the door. As far as regretting leaving New England, one would have to imagine that Tom Brady does not happen in that shithole if Parcells is running the show. hey maybe we would have ended up with Belly anyway. It's impossible to say how things would have turned out had he not come here but I do think there is no way we turn things around the way we did and so quickly. Parcells does deserve credit for that.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Fatso quit on us 1/2 way to vinny falling to the ground with his torn achilles! Up his! :mad:

16. deef

deef Member

Part of the reason I prefer the old uniforms is because Parcells' fingerprints are all over these. They have really grown on me though, so I'm not clamoring for the change, but for me the stigma is always there. The uniform is the stamp of Parcells failing to get it, then losing interest and abandoning the Jets for the damn Dolphins. He was an OK coach for us, but not great. I really don't think he means anything by this, who wouldn't regret leaving a franchise that would go on to have a "dynasty"? Either way, my opinion of him doesn't change because of this statement, that's for sure.

I mocked up a white helmet with the green futuristic logo and the current color scheme just to see what it would look like. Bascially, an inversion of the 80's logo w/ the new colors. I don't want to derail the thread, nor am I clamoring for this change, but I think it's an appropriate nod to both eras of the team and finalizing the Parcells divorce.

Edit: eh, why not. http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6629/jetshelmet.jpg

#16 deef, Feb 2, 2010
  17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I actually like this helmet:

[​IMG]

18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Yeah, parcells SUCKED at drafting, there's no doubt about that. But he did bring a mental toughness to the team that we lacked. We've gone through some ups and downs since, but I certainly credit Parcells for beginning the turnaround to respectability.

That said, I never liked his motivational style: push push push discard.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I bash BP for his awful job as GM and for costing us belichick(which in turn likely cost us Brady and SBs) BUT we were stuck in a cycle of medicrity that he elevated us out of and for that I will always be appreciative. I know he didn't finish the job(he never does, his only 2 SB titles he wasn't the man in charge of picking players) but he got us on the right path and we have been one of the better franchises in the NFL ever since.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1989: 4-12
    1990: 6-10
    1991: 8-8
    1992: 4-12
    1993: 8-8
    1994: 6-10
    1995: 3-13
    1996: 1-15
    Parcells enters
    1997: 9-7
    1998: 12-4 AFC Championship Appearance

1999: Fielded Championship Caliber team, who lost key players to injury.

From 1987-1996: 1 winning season (An 8-7 record)

Since Parcells (1997-2009): 9 winning seasons.

He turned the franchise around guys. He left on bad terms, but how you don't love him is crazy.