Kerry Rhodes on SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 7 to Shea, Jan 27, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

THe problem with prima donnas is that they actually have to live up to their own hype or people will eat them alive. Rhodes hasn't lived up to his own hype all season, and even lost his starting job for a game. He also lost a lot of fans who stuck up for him for the past couple of years, myself included.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You can't argue with the fact that Osi's a very talented player at a position of great need for us.
    I'd expect him to revert back to all pro form under Rex.

Look at the Giants defense as a whole last season. They were all off their game and the fact that Sheridan was let go speaks volumes about the situation over there in 09.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This.....in a nutshell.

I really don't care if Rhodes is a prima donna loudmouth...as long as he produces on the field.....which he clearly hasn't been.

Look at Ray Lewis....he talks his fair share ...but backs up every word with his play on the field.....and he also motivates everyone else around him to step up their game.

Rhodes should be leading by example....not with his poor attitude.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Braylon Edwards. And not anonymously.

As for him "playing average" here's a link. Go ahead and check out where he ranked statistically overall this year. Then come back and apologize.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...pe=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=0&numgames=1

So wait. You're saying you can argue the fact that Rhodes is a very talented player at a position of great need for us? Is that what you're saying, because I just want to be clear here?

BTW: The Jets let go of some coaches too. One of them was Doug Plank, Asst DBacks Coach.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

The same thing could be said about Rhodes.

Take away Rhodes and play in Smith or JI to start and watch how our lackluster secondary plays.

Not to mention Osi is older, injured more often, has a larger contract, and we have like 6 LBers they let see the field on defense. Osi has never played LB, though I guess that doesn't matter much since he's been in the league for a while. AND Osi said dumber shit than anything Rhodes said...fucking drama man...

6. John1234

John1234 New Member

There is no question. He is gone. Hopefully we get something for him, but he will never be a Ryan type defensive player. Pretty boys don't fit. Leonard has half the talent, but 10 times the heart. We need guys who get black eyes diving for loose balls with out a helmet. Thats Jets football.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1)Braylon Edwards is his BFF.
    Let's put on some Pettine tape (whose judjment I trust a tiny bit more):

Pettine added that he has no problem with Rhodes? work ethic, although he points out that Rhodes isn?t your classic gym rat.

??He knows his job,? Pettine said. ?I think as coaches we all want to be of the mindset that our guys are all going to be gym rats and football junkies and when they leave here, they?re going to go home and study tape. Not everyone is like that.??

Rhodes, who doesn?t deny he?s not a homebody, said his main concern is to not force anything and stay disciplined, let the game come to him.

To me that Rex Ryan phrase were he said who wouldn't study hard and play hard would be an outcast in the locker room was directed to Rhodes (as well as others maybe).

2) Really!? ProFootballFocus!? With the amazing George Wilson from Buffalo at 4, the extraordinary Brodney Pool from the Browns at 5 and the unreal Reed Doughty from the Redskins at 7!?:drunk:
    I'm not saying he played bad (although in some occasions he clearly made mistakes) but he was average... and most of the plays he made weren't so spectacular (who doesn't get an INT vs Delhomme?)

Rhodes IS talented no arguing that and he is in a position of need... but if he plays to 50% of his talent level he is an average player with a big contract and a huge ego.

Seeing things like him getting run over by a 5'9" guy (Welker), being unable to tackle someone (even in the Indy game Garcon grinded him), having him celebrate before trying to secure the ball after a fumble are all things that piss us fans off.

It's the story of the plumber all over again... if the guy comes to you house, has sex with you wife, beats up your dog, shits in your garden but does a good job at repairing you sink is he a good plumber? Sometimes the picture is larger than you think... and to ge back to Rhodes I think he wasn't even good at repairing the sink but only average :p

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

The difference is, Ray Lewis is a loudmouth about football and playing hard and winning.

Whereas Rhodes is a loudmouth about himself, celebrating force-fumbles while the play was still live. If Ray Lewis was Rhodes' teammate and caught him doing that, he'd have torn Rhodes a new one.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

And before you (not you Bomber, alio and jets711) start raving about the blitz remember it's not like he had to shed tackled or anything... simply the scheme put him in a position to make the play... normally that position is occupied by Ihedigbo... he ain't no supertars but get the job done too (on blitzes) right?

11. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Blathering idiot. Who appears to have been indulging in magucal powder since he came off thye field on Sunday.

It seems clear Kerry is hurt by the benching and wants to be believed in by Rex and it's clear he's spat the dummy.

Ed Reed comparison GTFO. Like him I take guys down hahahaha.

Please somebody take me out of NY and make me thye big fish in the small pond

B'bye Kerry don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way

If te guy is all about marketing his suits are "pony" UK slang for shit

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As I've said before, I have problems with how Rhodes played this year. The point I'm making by posting things like stats and conversations that I've actually seen is because I have far more evidence to back up my argument than those of the opposing view.

Leonhard was signficantly better than Rhodes this year. And yes, a lot of that had to do with the approach each took to the game. However, it's completely stupid for anyone to honestly believe this team would be "better" without Kerry Rhodes in the secondary next year.

Okay, so to sum this up, you've assumed whatever you want from Pettine's comment, even though I could quite easily interpret it to say that Rhodes' approach is simply unorthodox. And Pettine specifically said he had no problem with Rhodes' work ethic. So what exactly is your point?

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It depends who replaces him! I think in this draft there will be good value for a S in the 3rd round... if we can get a 3rd rd pick for him I'm sure we could bring in someone that could contribute at the same level Rhodes did but with a smaller contract and a lot less ego...

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Sure. They'll learn the scheme as a rookie and fit right in. Come on. There are never any guarantees. We know Rhodes has talent. A college rookie is a risk.

The key is for Ryan to get Rhodes playing to his potential. If people could just get past the blind hate they'd admit that.

16. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

When I think of Kerry Rhodes I think of three plays in the last two games where it was clear that he was the saftey help on routes and he went to the wrong side of the field each time, leaving three different players wide open for three different passing touchdowns of over 20 yards.

That's a safety sucking.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

How long do we give Ryan to Rhodes' head straight?

18. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Just watched Tannenbaum's press conference. His thoughts on Kerry Rhodes? The situation has nothing to do with his contract; sometimes he played great, other times, not so. He has to come back, have a great offseason, and be a much more consistent player.

Regardless of what his stats were, its pretty clear that the Jets' coaches and management aren't entirely happy with what Rhodes is bringing to the field. If he comes around and says he wants to work hard, listen to his coaches, and commit to being the best he can be, and the Jets coaches believe he can stick to that commitment going forward, then he'll be back. If he doesn't say that, or they think he's full of shit, they'll shop him. In either case, any team that's looking for help at the safety position is certainly going to give the Jets a call and see what it would take to make a deal.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Sure... I admit that even if I still hate him.

My point is some players learn from their mistakes and start working hard... and some don't.

To me Rhodes falls in that second half.

Look at how mant WR in the history of the game had tons of potential but didn't make it / couldn't stay in this league because NOBODY could get them to play to their potential.

Potential is great because you'll never go anywhere without it... but sometimes it just doesn't come out... or maybe it comes out a season (ususally to get paid) and then disappears...

To me it's much more likely that we find a good college S that works hard on his craft and becomes better then Rhodes than Rhodes actually putting his ego aside and playing to his potential.

This is my evaluation.

Of course, I repeat, if Rhodes starting from tomorrow decides he'll work hard (again, like he used to) at becoming the best he can be I'll be happy for him and for us.

There was an interesting part in the article that I quoted earlier that said how it was Vilma as a Defensive leader to drag Rhodes into the film room.

My feeling is right now Rhodes thinks he is a leader himself and won't let anyone, not even the coaches, drag him into the film room...

20. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

I'm sorry can you please point out where it said "drag him" into the film room? Vilma and Kerry were close friends and teammates and still are very close. Vilma didn't "drag" Kerry anywhere.