Kerry Rhodes and Eric Coleman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by twinjetfan, May 17, 2006.

1. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

We all know Rhodes had a very successful rookie season considering being a later draft pick, but Eric Coleman also had a very successful rookie season before having an extremely mediocre season. Do you guys think Rhodes will struggle this year like Coleman did (Sophomore Jinx), and do you think Coleman will be significantly improved from last year, or will one of our other safeties step up and start over Coleman or Rhodes?

2. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

I seriously think Coleman will bounce back this year.

3. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

I honestly think coleman struggles was a result of a chain effect. Since our tackles couldnt get penetration it effected the linebackers then the secondary gets effected by their lack of efficiency. just a thaught.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I also think Coleman all of a sudden found himself thinking about Rhodes and Miller back there, getting them lined up right, covering for their inevitable mistakes, and it was just too much. He probably did more than we realize, but I do not think he is a mediocre player, I think he will be a fixture back there for years.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rhodes has the biggest upside as far as pass defense. He is so smooth and fast with long arms. Look for him in 2006.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think Coleman is a hell of a player, but he isn't big enough to play safety. He is a great Nickel/Dime guy because he can tackle and he can pass protect, but if he is out there everydown, he can get beat. I hope he stays on with the team, but I feel it is a position we need to upgrade. Rhodes I think will improve and I am hoping he is the guy who makes us forget about Victor Green.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Coleman has had a few plays where he has gotten burnt, but I still think he can be a starter. This will be his year to show everyone what he will be the rest of his career. I think he will do much better in coverage and get a couple of picks as well. Maybe 3-5 picks.

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I think you've got two FS types back there and you only need one.

Rhodes appears to be the better candidate. Andre Maddox was supposed to be the replacement for Victor Green at SS, until he got hurt last preseason. Hopefully, he can bounce back and assist the LB in shutting down the running game.

As for Coleman, he either has to beat our Rhodes or rhides the pine behind him.

9. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

You have to remember that in Herm's defense there was no difference between the safety positions. This may change with Mangini as there will be a clear definition of what each player is responsible for.
    I am also looking forward to seeing what Andre Maddox can do.

10. baamf

baamf Active Member

Good point. I was really down on Coleman last year, and am not sure if he was a one year wonder or what (i.e. Erik McMillan). The safety positions should provide some real good competition in training camp. It will be fun to watch who comes out with the starting jobs....

11. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I agree with the two FS comment, in that cover two we needed two rangy safeties, even though it did hurt us when it came to them stepping up and having an impact close to the line. With Mangini having been the Pats DB coach, he probably understands the benefit of having a hitter back there at SS, like he had with Milloy and Harrison.

12. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I think it is hard to look/pick on one player last year because our defense spent so much time on the field. If Im not mistaken the average time they were spending on the field was in the plus 30 minutes. I think that was the time I heard maybe someone can check this out but im sure Im pretty close.

13. Tight

Tight Active Member

I think there is a reason E. emith was drafted in the third round. Do not be surprised if rhodes or coleman are benched this season. I see E. smith starting this season.

14. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

I wouldn't be completely object to that, but that would mean that for three straight years, we have a rookie starting back there. Kinda wild, if you ask me.

15. Tight

Tight Active Member

Yah I agree, but mangini is going to run his own type of system and e smith is probably a better fit for that system. Obviously im just going off my own instinct. Only time will tell.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Coleman is nothing special. He had a few picks his rookie year and everyone was talking about him like he's going to be a great free safety. He's a nice player but probably more of a situation player for passing downs. He's undersized, has below average speed and he's average at best in coverage. He does have a knack for the ball which a lot of players don't have. I think he will have a role in this defense but I don't think he'll be on the field 50+ plays. Rhodes should start at FS and will see what they do at SS.

17. Zcore

Zcore New Member

There's no way E. Smith will start at the beginning of the season. He may eventually start if one of the safeties struggle though. keep in mind I like his kid alot....seen his hilights reminds me of J. Lynch, the way he hits

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Short answer, yes. Safeties typically struggle their second year. Their confidence goes up and they try to make more plays which leads them to be out of position more often. They tend to rein this in in their third year and be better than they were the first and much better than the second.

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Coleman is a solid player, he'll be fine. Rhodes has great talent just needs to clean his game up. Hopefully Mangini being a former DB coach can work with these guys and turn them into names that are recognized outside of the Jet Fan circle

20. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

Coleman and Rhodes will be our starters for the whole season barring any injuries. Rhodes will be considered one of the best safeties in the league by the end of the season(top 10). as for coleman Im one of the few that feel that he played good last year(121 tck 2 picks 2 sacks) considering the amount of time our defense was on the field last year. Coleman has been working on getting better in coverage(doing yoga to work on flexibility) and has been studying tape of some of the best safeties like harrison and reed.
    Coleman and Rhodes will be a great duo of safeties for us for the next 5-7 years. And the drafting of smith was only for the purpose of adding competition to get the best players at the positions which are coleman and rhodes.