Imagine Terrence Cody on our D-Line.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by macbk, Jan 26, 2010.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Lets' not give up on Cody yet...it's his choice to improve his situation.

Not true with Gholston this year. Rex is a player's coach, but if a player has no heart/desire it doesn't matter. Rex even stated in his presser yesterday....." if a player won't give 100% to the team, he won't be around".

#21 WW85, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. DaSanchize

DaSanchize New Member

Cody's weight issue is tremendous. If he loses the weight there still is a question mark if he will maintain it after a big payday which being drafted in the 1sr Rd gets u alot of money.
    So low risk high reward is a situation where i think the jets would want to get Cody

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Holy crap. That is a fat, flabby mess up there. I didn't really watch much college ball this year, but when I saw Bama against Texas, Cody looked like the slowest DT I have ever seen.

4. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

So, does the whole "weighing close to 400 pounds" thing mean Cody will slip to the end of the first?

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah, he is giant load of fat...but that's in his job description. However, he can't let his weight get out of control, and it looks like he's let that happen.

Mount Cody has to show up to the combine in better shape.

Today during practice for the Senior Bowl, he looked a lot better than Dan Wiliams in block shedding drills. Cody completely man-handled Baylor's JD Walter, who is a pretty damn good center prospect.

I don't question this kid's drive and I never will. He just has to stay in the best shape that he can.

6. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I saw the same thing. Very impressive.
    Massive yet talented space-eaters are a valuable commodity.

As WW85 mentioned, though, weight problems in college tend to remain problems in the pros.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Well, you have to look over his entire career. As a JUCO, he had weight issues...but I think that had more to do with poor eating habits and limited resources like trainers and great workout facilities. At Mississippi Gulf Coast, Cody weighed over 400 pounds and he was still a JUCO All-American. Nobody was offering, so he shed about 20-25 pounds and earned a scholarship.

Alabama took a chance on this kid and told him to get his ass into shape. Saban and the Crimson Tide trainers made sure that he went to each and every conditioning program and Cody slimmed down to about 355 pounds.

This shows me that Mount Cody has the drive and determination to get to a healthy playing weight. Once people got behind him, he did what had to be done.

You draft Cody, put a few weight loss incentives in his contract, and he'll shed the weight and keep it off.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If weight problems are a major issue for him, the Jets could just give him the Kris Jenkins treatment and tie it to his money. Bonuses for making weigh-ins and fines for missing weight. It seemed to work well for Jenkins seeing as though he was able to keep off 30-40lbs. over the past two seasons...at least until his injury.

EDIT:
    Damn it, beat me to it...by a while:

9. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

wouldn't touch this guy with a 10-foot bacon cheeseburger. mmmm cheeseburger.

no, really. i want no part of cody.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yet you have a picture of a guy that's had major weight concerns in your avatar?

11. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

I just realized all the potential thread material this picture has

and yes I threw up a bit too

12. 624

624 Banned

I have no worries, it's got to be motivating when THIS guy has to tell YOU to lose weight...

[​IMG]

13. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

fair point, but here's the difference as i see it:

kris jenkins got fat when he was IR'd two consecutive seasons, back around 2005, i believe. even then, jenkins always appeared barrel chested... just naturally huge. these past two seasons with the jets, jenkins has been listed around 350, and looks every bit of it... but he sure doesn't look like a sloppy blubbery mess....

which takes me to cody...

terrence cody is what... 21? 22 years old? he should be training for perhaps the biggest moment of his professional life. he should have every incentive to be in the best shape he can possibly be in, and he shows up looking like he ate about 900 pillsbury doughboys. to me, that raises a red flag. does he have time to slim down and tone up? sure he does. will he? i doubt it. also, cody has always looked flubbery and fat in his uniform. you can practically see the rolls through his pads. i've never said that about jenkins.

another thing. jenkins handles his weight well, and always has. he has a tremendously high motor even at age 30, weighing 350 pounds. he has lateral quickness. he's flying all over the place and plays with ENERGY.

cody, on the other hand, is incredibly slow moving. its very clear to me that he needs to drop damn near 50 pounds if he has any hopes of being a successful every down player at the next level.

#33 yanks9596, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

^Tie Cody's weight to about $500k every time he steps on a scale. He'll drop the weight.

There's a difference between the Senior Bowl and the Combine. He's going to have much more time to drop the weight by April, and he's going to be trained by the best athletic trainers and workout gurus leading up to that moment. His agent will be sure that he drops at least 30 lbs. now. 390lbs at the Combine: he's an idiot. 390lbs at the Senior Bowl: He's coming off of the biggest celebration of his life after wining a national title and probably took some needed time off to rest.

The Jets passing on Cody for this defense would be just as dumb as passing on Sapp.

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

redundant post.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Didn't like the guy at all throughout the college year, and it's not because of his weight (although that's a huge issue). Cody simply doesn't move well, even for a nose tackle. I rarely saw him drive any olinemen backwards 1-on-1. Haven't seen him getting double-teamed too much either. Cody also plays very high which hurts him a lot from a leverage standpoint. Jenkins is surprisingly fast for his weight (both his feet and arms), and his ability to stop and reverse direction is also incredible. He's able to attack low and combine his speed and power to get to the quarterback in many different ways. Aside from his weight, Cody is the complete opposite of Jenkins and we need more Kris Jenkins'.

I think someone will reach for Cody in the first, but I wouldn't take him even if he fell to the Jets.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

If he does well at the combine, and he interviews well then he'll go high. Him and Jenkins together could be pretty beast....