I don't want to be a 1 year wonder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Raian-san

Raian-san New Member

The Jets may or may not make the playoff next year. They will make it if they win their division but with the Pats there, it'll be hard. Houston, Titans, Jags, Broncos, Miami, and the Steelers will be back next year. It was a great and lucky ride for the Jets but next year don't expect team to sleep on the Jets again and let them sneak in the PO.

2. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

He'll have better defenses than Marino ever did.

3. AKoffjet

AKoffjet New Member

we WILL win the division next year. If we don't it would be a huge step backward. It is our time to take over over the patriots

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

AND better WR's

5. Christian

Christian Active Member

We get 2 huge parts of our team back next season.

I feel the main reason we gave away so many games is because we had a rookie quarterback and he has been brilliant in the playoffs.

I'm not really worried about going back to obscurity.

6. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Mark Clayton was pretty damn good. And so was Duper. Edwards/Cotchery/Keller/etc is no slouch, but those guys were perennial Pro Bowlers.

7. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Agreed, we have to. We need some damn home playoff games, with this defense and a home playoff crowd, that would be something. Sanchez is really improving, this team is on the right track this time.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't know I'm just not that depressed right now. I am just so excited for what I saw from Sanchez and, while I was dissapointed in the defense, I wasn't shocked. I really thought this was the toughest matchup for the Jets because the best way to beat the Colts has ALWAYS been to get pressure without blitzing . . . and as good as our defense has been . . . that just wasn't our strong point this year. I really think if we can get Jenkins back healthy and try our luck with drafting another potential edge pass-rusher, we can truly have a dominant defense next season. I am so excited for this team's future and I just refuse to be down right now.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

EXACTLY. This is what I was telling my dad today after the game . . . We were talking about the 98 championship game and comparing it to this one and I kept saying that we really need to get one of these games at home one of these years. WE WILL.

10. AKoffjet

AKoffjet New Member

a home game in that new stadium would be huge. how many seats are there just out of randomness?

11. Justone

Justone New Member

Guys what is with all this negative talk? The jets are talented and proved it this year. No matter what people want to say about them backing into the playofsf or what not they went to the AFC championship game with a rookie QB, rookie coach, and rookie RB leading the way in the playoffs. This team has a core OL that will dominate teams for the next 5 years.

Everyone forgets they lost their 2 best playmakers early in the season and still managed to give us this unbelievable ride. They lost too many close games to count and that I think you could blame on the inexperience.

I'll take the 29th pick to the bank with the way the jets draft went this year. Trading up to get a guy like greene in the 3rd round when Rex and MT were going to grab him in hte 1st round if they didn't get Sanchez.

Here is to staying healthy next year and growing over the offseason. This team is a couple additions away from being one of the best teams in the NFL. Great ride and I can't wait for another run at it.

12. TouchdownReggieWayne

I'm a huge Colts fan and have seen playoff heartbreak before. I remember as a kid being frozen in shock and silence when Aaron Bailey had the hailmary attempt roll off his chest in the 95 AFCCG. I've seen the Colts lose absolutely back breaking games to bitter rivals numerous times.

You guys have a great foundation and excellent coaching staff. IMO opinion you guys should be the team to beat in the AFC East this decade. Your O-line is young and good..hell..so is your QB, RB, and WR corp.

The defense goes w/o saying. Revis could very well go down as the best CB ever. No hyperbole...he's that good.

You guys are definitely not a one year wonder..the foundation is there and is solid.

Good luck and beat the shit out of the Cheatriots next year.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

We had an 11 pt lead in the AFC title game with a rookie QB. Our best player on defense has been out for most of the season and our most dynamic player on offense/ST has been out for most of the season as well. Our ILB's had bad ankles. We didn't have a healthy running back on the roster today.

I'm not making excuses for the loss today (we got beat by one of the top 3 QB's in NFL history) but we will not be a one year wonder. No fuckin way

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Marino never had a defense.

Sanchez has an elite defense.

15. Raian-san

Raian-san New Member

Were you jumping for joy after the Jets pulled out a miracle win against SD?

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

About as many as the current one.

17. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

Rookie QB, rookie rb, rookie coach. We have a lot of young guys in our team. Our core players aren't going anywhere. Sanchez played the best game of his career. Jenkins and washington will be back next season. I know we will be a top team the next season.

18. Irv

Irv Member

The fact that I'm posting right now says that this is the least distressed, pissed, and/or anguished at the result than I've ever been after watching my team not get it done. I'm still down, but for once, I'm not bemoaning why all my favorite teams always choke.

Peyton Manning showed us all the areas in which the Jets' defense still needs to improve, most notably in the secondary beyond Revis because Lowery was overmatched, Sheppard looked bad, and Coleman looked like Coleman. The front seven wasn't able to get pressure on Manning in the second half. Our guys sustained injuries and there were guys playing hurt going into the game. Losing Greene stalled the offense, and some of the playcalling after that was questionable. There were also a couple of penalties earlier in the game that screwed us out of opportunities, and you can't give Peyton Manning extra downs. All of it was too much to overcome. However, I do want to say this: SOJ is fucking dead and anyone still clinging onto that excuse for losing needs to open his eyes and see what's going on here with Rex Ryan at the helm. The Colts were simply the better team this game and this season.

That said, this team is young in places where it needs to be and the future does look good. There are many things to play for next season and I have no reason to believe next year will be the SOJ bullshit as 1999 or 2003 or 2005. The AFC needs to run through New Meadowlands next year. I'm not going to say much more than that since I don't want to blow more hopeful smoke than I already have up anybody's ass for next year, but I do expect this team to build on this season instead of collapse.

Honestly, I wrote off the season when Jenkins and Washington were done, but I think we learned a little something about the character of this team along the way. I'm not happy right now and I doubt I'll have anything else worthwhile to say over the next week, next month, or even until the draft, but in the decade and change that I've been a Jets fan, I've never been more proud of this team.

I don't know if I'll watch the Super Bowl or go to any parties, but in closing, I have two more thoughts: Go Vilma and just go away Brent Fah-vray.

#38 Irv, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

If it would have been a Minn / Indy Superbowl the next two weeks would have been practically unbearable.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

At the moment, I'm more upset that we have to wait MONTHS for training camp, because I too am excited to watch this team next season. Jenkins and Leon returning, new players via the draft, FA, and trades. Our defense is only going to improve next season, and with some additions here and there on the offensive side of the ball (WR), we could be in great shape to take over the AFCE.