Ryan's Inner Circle - NY Times

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jan 23, 2010.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

A Jets Coaching Chemistry Forged Over Cigars and Defense

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. ? The Jets? ministry of defense was a package deal, a threesome of defensive coaches, more Sack Pack than Rat Pack. The franchise hired Rex Ryan as coach, and Ryan insisted on hiring Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator and Dennis Thurman as the defensive backs coach.

Ryan?s inner circle meets regularly, hashing out a philosophy of organized chaos while smoking cigars at The Side Bar in nearby Morristown, N.J. Between puffs, they watch sports, talk sports, argue about sports.

?They?re like brothers,? Jets defensive end Marques Douglas said. ?Or an entourage.?

The meetings started seven seasons ago in Baltimore, where the three coaches forged their bond. Always, they smoked cigars, preferably Cubans, on patios, in backyards. Always, the conversation turned to a shared passion: defense.

Ryan had served three seasons as the Ravens? defensive line coach when Pettine and Thurman were hired before the 2002 season. Pettine and Thurman had human resources orientation the same day, and when the two later shared an office, they discovered they believed in the same football philosophy.

Pettine started in the video department, Thurman as an intern defensive assistant. By the time Ryan started interviewing for head coaching jobs before the 2007 season, the three had hatched a plan. They liked their chemistry on game day. They liked one another, even if their arguments sometimes suggested otherwise.

?That was the team that we had to take with us,? Ryan said. ?Wherever we went, we were going to take each other.?

When the Jets hired Ryan a year ago, he told Pettine in person. His first phone call went to Thurman.

?Get your stuff ready,? Pettine recalled Ryan saying. ?We?re going to New York.?

Ryan and Pettine came from impressive coaching stock. Ryan?s father, Buddy, made the 46 defense famous with the Chicago Bears. Pettine?s father, Mike Sr., spent 33 years carving a legendary high school career in Pennsylvania.

For all they held in common, their differences ? race, size, appearance, stature ? also stood out. Pettine, who is bald, had experience in video. Ryan owned the biggest belly, the loudest mouth, and he struck the others as the most loyal person they ever met. Thurman boasted the most impressive playing career, first as an all-American safety at the University of Southern California and then nine years in the N.F.L., mostly with the Dallas Cowboys.

Even the baseball teams they rooted for ? the Yankees (Thurman), the Philadelphia Phillies (Pettine) and the Chicago Cubs (Ryan) ? showed three men with different tastes.

As defensive coaches, they had schemed for every offense ever invented ? from the Wing T to the Run and Shoot. Pettine became, according to Jets linebacker Bart Scott, who also played for them in Baltimore, Ryan?s ?prized pupil,? a coach who knows this defense as well as Ryan himself.

When Thurman spent last season out of football, Pettine and Ryan talked often about how their inner circle no longer felt complete. Reunited this season, they have resumed their old routine. On game day, Pettine sits upstairs, and Thurman mostly stands directly behind Ryan on the sideline. Players say the three speak their own language, tell inside jokes, all while not diminishing their relationships with other coaches.

?The chemistry that we have on game day, when it flows, it?s like, Wow,? Thurman said.

The results were also similar. The Jets? defense finished the season ranked first in the N.F.L. in several categories, including total defense and scoring defense. Pettine believes this stems from the chemistry among the Sack Pack, the way they refuse to take football, or themselves, too seriously.

In the defensive meeting room, their first rule is that players must have skin like an armadillo?s, and although they recognize that armadillos have shells, not skin, they constantly reiterate this point. Players are even fined for being too sensitive.

These rules extend to coaches. After a recent sauna session with his inner circle, Ryan claimed he was bloated from drinking water.

?I don?t think it?s the water,? Thurman said as the room exploded into laughter.

Sometimes, they fight like the brothers they have become. Pettine, the Phillies fan, took an exceptional beating during the World Series by Thurman, the Yankee fan. Pettine chalked the arguments up to three men, all competitive, all intense, but all pulling rope in the same direction.

When Ryan talks about the three coaches, he refers to them as ?we.?

?He?s one of those guys that once he gets to know you, he likes you, you?re in,? Thurman said. ?You?ll be in for the rest of your life. He?s just that kind of guy.?

To Douglas, that speaks to Ryan?s loyalty, to his propensity for keeping confidants close. Ryan also hired Jeff Weeks, his college roommate at Southwest Oklahoma State, as a defensive assistant, and Doug Plank, the player whose number Ryan?s father used to coin the 46 defense.

The Sack Pack still convenes at The Side Bar on occasion, although it has become more difficult as Ryan has become, in Thurman?s words, ?a megastar around here.?

That is where Ryan seems most at ease, on a couch, cigar in hand, surrounded by his crew.

Sometimes, they look back at the plan they hatched and marvel at how it unfolded so quickly, in only their first season with the Jets.

?It?s weird in that it?s something that we talked about,? Thurman said. ?A lot of times, it doesn?t turn out that way. We envisioned going somewhere and being successful. And here we are.?

One win from the Super Bowl, two wins from the ultimate victory cigar.

EXTRA POINTS

Shaun Ellis practiced Friday with his broken left hand heavily wrapped but said he expected to play. Ellis will have a hard time grasping opponents because his hand will be wrapped in a fist. Coach Rex Ryan said he planned to play Ellis as much as he normally does. Kerry Rhodes, who banged his knee Thursday in practice, said he would play. . . . Ryan said he was a little surprised to hear that souvenirs proclaiming the Jets as A.F.C. champions were on sale, until he was told that the Colts and both N.F.C. conference finalists also have souvenirs for sale. ?You can?t buy a four-extra-large T-shirt anyway, so I don?t care about that stuff,? Ryan said.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

:rofl:

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I hope Pettine stays around as long as possible...!

He compliments Rex personality so well!

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Ryan is a Cubs fan? Just when I thought he couldn't be more perfect. :)

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

I thoroughly enjoyed this article.

“Get your stuff ready,” Pettine recalled Ryan saying. “We’re going to New York.”
    That was my favorite part. I love the camaraderie. That's a huge career move and they all knew that they didn't even have a choice, they were going together.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

great article

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Ryan it seems is a pretty special guy, and coach. People respond to the guy. Coaches, players, fans.

Remember when Ryan got hired and had to convince Schottenhiemer to stay? Schotty was pissed he didn't get the job. Ryan spoke to him about having gone through the same thing himself in Baltimore. Ryan talked up Schotty publically every chance he had. Schotty stayed, much to the chagrin of many Jets fans.

Schotty was the QB coach at SD. It wasn't like he never worked with young QB's before. Again, Jets fans were screaming for his head this year as well. Ryan stuck with him, and stuck his nose into both ST's and the offense when things were going badly. I thought that might be the beginning of the end for both Schotty AND Westhoff. It wasn't. That's because in some ways, Ryan has a huge ego, but with his coaches, he seems to have no ego at all. It's about winning.

I still wasn't too sure about the relationship with Schotty until the end of the SD game, despite the reports that Schotty turned down a Buffalo interview and said he was happy here and wanted to stay. After that 1st down run by TJ, Rex and Schotty run twards each other and do the big bear hug thing.

It wasn't forced. It surely looked genuine. Two grown men hugging, jumping around and laughing. It was good to see. No, it was great to see.

Anyone see TJ Housh talking about how much he would love to play for Ryan? And he said 95% of the players in the NFL would also want to play for him? Seems like Ryan's coaches feel the same way.

It sure seems like Ryan is building something special here. No more SOJ. Ryan calls it "Play like a JET!" And it sure is fun, finally, to be a lifelong Jets fan.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

"The Sack Pack", [​IMG] Like it

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

A lot of comparisons are made between Ryan and Parcells, but I think Pettine is more Parcells' heir from the perspective of being a straightforward, no-B.S. coach. I thought we might lose him to Virginia when they canned Groh -- thankfully we didn't.

10. PghPanther

PghPanther New Member

You know I can't believe nobody in NY as ever noticed this yet but.....

But Rex Ryan looks like..........acts like................and sounds just like.....

Blue Collar Comedy tour comedian..........

Ron White..........

Unreal..........I laugh my butt off over this......

It's another reason why this guy is so hilarious to me......:rofl:

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Your avvy is to say the least....disturbing. He looks like hes just got off the slab at the morgue

12. jcjet

jcjet Member

Thanks for posting, great article!!

13. jcjet

jcjet Member

Very true, he's my favorite of the bunch too

14. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

That was a great article. It speaks volumes for Rex as a man. I'm so glad he's our coach

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Loyalty seems a rare thing these days.
    Nice to see Rex hasn't forgotten it.

16. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Shame you can't smoke at the Side Bar anymore.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

^^^^ that's probably more why rex don't go there as often...