Jets Colts Coint Toss Take/Defer ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hobbes3259, Jan 22, 2010.

?

Take the Ball or Defer ?

1. Just gimme the Damn ball.....!

13.9%
  2. Go ahead and try to score, I dare you!

86.1%
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Saw someone post this for last weeks game...thought this week provided a better set of matchups for discussion.

Our Power Offense vs..the undersized Defense, 2 first downs, and back Manning Up...

or...

Our number one defense against Manning before he's seen enough looks at the game plan...

Thoughts?

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would still kick. Put the onus on the Colts.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Defer like a motherfucker.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

We've been doing this all year why change now??

It's great knowing we get the ball at the start of the second half. This coaching staff has been great at making adjustments.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I was defer last week.

This week, I think we can get at least a couple first downs right off, so a punt backs them up...but the possibility of scoring first is hard to pass up.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Defer...no question about it.

Let's keep the ball rollin'.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i raised this point about last weeks game...last week I was on the fence was was leaning towards taking the ball

that being said, at this point deferring really seems to be the strategy so I am going to say defer

after pounding the run in the first half its important we get the ball to start the 2nd half and take advantage

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Same answer as last week, defer. Put our strongest unit on the field and try to get an edge in the field position battle.

Hopefully we can keep it close and wear down the defense in the first half by pounding them with the run. Then when we get the ball in the second half the run should be more effective.

No reason to switch up what has been working for us. None at all.

9. miggymiggs

miggymiggs New Member

gotta keep the pts down - beat them w/ our D and get the momentum going for our rushing game to run them down as well... I won't be able to stomach peyton charging down the field for a quick 6 for the first drive of the game...

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Kickoff.. Sack Manning and make him eat turf on the first three plays.. then make them punt... then hand it off the TJ and let him run 65 yards for a score and then repeat..

Seriously though, kickoff, try and make them go 3 and out and hope we put up a score.

11. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Defer.....no doubt in my mind.....

12. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

If I was the colts I would kick. If I was the Jets I would kick.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Deferring is Rex's version of William Wallace waving his nuts at the English infantry before the battle.

14. colts fan

colts fan New Member

I think the Jets will defer and the if the Colts win we will start the game on O... If we score 7, your rookie QB will feel pressure immediately, if we go 3 and out, I think your team may get comfortable and attempt to run the ball 3 times up the middle and give the ball back...

The Colts may defer to put the pressure on "Sanchise"...

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Pressure??

We've been down in both playoff games, I think he's made for this stuff.

He's got the right stuff-

[​IMG]

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Being down 7-0 after the first drive isn't going to put extra pressure on Sanchez. We would still be running at a 2/1 clip at that point.

Being down 2 or 3 scores, yea.

17. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I think this is an interested topic this week. I would normally say defer. Put our strength on the field first and hope they elect to receive. However, being that this is inside a dome, if we win the toss, it wouldn't surprise me if we elect to kick off to them first.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if the jets win the toss they should take the ball......

manning is the best and deferring to him, in his dome, can be very dangerous.....

a 7-0 deficit sunday is different than a 7-0 deficit in SD.

jil

19. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Rex has deferred and put the defense in first all season. No reason to overthink and start changing things like this now.

20. PghPanther

PghPanther New Member

I've given this one some thought..........now I am one to always defer in most games....

But now that I think about it........

Let's get the ball first on this AFC Champ game....

.............and here's why..

Our best defense in this game is our offense.....the more we have control of the clock the less time the Colts offense is on the field.....and if we are successful with the run game we also wear down that defense of theirs....

If we take the ball first and work the game as a series of first downs by short play action passing and running.........and can get a few first downs....well we keep their offense off the field early.

I like the idea to see if we can establish a run during the first series....if we can then we can start to wear out their fast but undersized defense.....pound on them.

If we let them have the ball first I know they will try to pass their way to a quick score which pscyhologically set the tone for the Jets to do the same......and we lose that kind of game.

Besides.....I've watched in the past how a power running game can ruin a top defense come the second half of the game.

At worse if we go 3 and out then we can punt them back into their territory perhaps with better results than kicking off to them to start with. Besides a punt as more of a potential for a turnover back to us than a kick off.

There is no correct decision on this coin fllip stuff..........but if the execution of the strategy works all things being equal I think in this game we take the starting kickoff....

Let's take the ball first in this game and then dictate how we want to play the game if possible.......

Okay......you want a really bizarre twist?

Defer and on the starting kick off..................(ahem) a surprise on side kick!

Yes!......hear me out....

If it is unsuccessful Manning will probably score with the short field but if they don't..........we what a huge plus that would be......

On the other hand if we recover the surprise on side..............well what a weird head game that would be to pull it off on them in their house.....