Will we blitz as much?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 21, 2010.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This is obviously an important factor. Manning tends to do well against the Blitz. I think Rex will do a lot of fake blitzez, making it appear that we are going to blitz but instead back off and cover all the recievers. Which will force Manning to throw into tight coverage. This will lead to interceptions...

so do you see as much blitzing.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'd say about 57% of the time.

Do what got us here, no point in changing now. We have to get in Peyton's face and rattle his cage just like last time.

His timing was off for a reason, in my opinion.

3. PghPanther

PghPanther New Member

If early on those blitzes are successful then I'm sure they will pour it on........

But if they aren't I'm sure they will tail off because Manning will slice up a blitzing team that doesn't get to him.

That said.........in every playoff game I've ever watched Manning lose he was rattled and shaken up in the backfield from his normal game plan.......

So what to do..........what to do............

Run Green while on offense to eat up the clock and keep Manning and company off the field can help.

4. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I disagree. I was watching the replay of week 16, and it was extremely rare for us to even got close to touching Manning, even when we were rushing 7 at a time. Very often they will leave 6 or 7 in pass protection and sometimes only send 3 receivers out. This, combined with the fact they're playing on turf and how quick Manning is at reading defenses, makes it extremely difficult for us to be successful blitzing the majority of the time.

I agree with the OP. Trying to blitz all game will just be us beating our heads against the wall. We may get a play or two where we hit him, but I just don't see it being worth giving up big plays or letting him throw his way for first down after first down.

Honestly, we need to play exactly how how Miami did in week two: run all day, bring the play clock down to no more than 5 seconds each play. Keep the ball away from their offense. We do that, play solid D, and don't make offensive mistakes, and we have a great shot at winning.

5. Sanchez2KellerFTW

Yes, we will blitz

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

What makes Rex's blitzes effective is not just getting to the QB but how confusing it is for the o line and the QB. He does a lot of fake blitzes with people who will back off and cover while people who looked like they were covering will blitz. I have faith in Rex that he has a better plan for getting to Manning this game. That said he is payton manning and there is only so much you can do.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Awesome sig. I hated that d-bag.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Jets will blitz, blitz often, blitz often early in the game. gotta throw Manning off his rhythm. Rexy apologized for the pussy defensive play calling against the Chargers late in the game. U think he'll do it again? No way.

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Well, this is the 68 dollar question. It could go in any direction. I think the Jets will try to mix it up as much as possible, trying to avoid giving Manning the same look as often as possible.

This is impossible to predict, and that is why Ryan is so good.

10. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

I think we are going to start off the game with a lot of simulated pressure looks. But u don't think Rex will bring more than 4-5 at a time that often early. Then end of second, begining of 3rd quarte, when peyron is starting to figure us out he'll start to unleash the hounds. Seems like a good way to trick Manning into holding the ball a split second longer.

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

If you sit back and let Manning have all the time he's gonna pick you apart worse. Blitz him and hope we get to him and rattle his ass.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i dont think the question is "will we blitz as much?", i think it should be "will we blitz as many people?" ... were going to blitz early and often

like dthomas said, they were picking up everything last game whether it was 5, 6, or 7 brought in pressure ... i think with proper disguises we can get to manning by just bringing 5. its gonna be tough but rex has gotten to him in the past

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Rex Ryan and most of the jets already have said many times that they don't deviate from their overall game plan. They deviate in the execution but they don't deviate in the gameplan.

The jets will bring pressure. The key ingredient is creating confusion with different coverages and blitz packages, with FLAWLESS disguising. No tells, no hints, nothing. Ryan is going to need to need his biggest bag of tricks yet. However they will also adjust mid game as ryan is pretty good at.

but IMHO, while peyton manning is a better quarterback than rivers, the chargers had way more weapons. Gates, vincent jackson, sproles and floyd, LT > Wayne, Clark, Garson, Collie, Addai/Donald Brown. Personally i'm not going to lose sleep about 2 rookies being 1 on 1 at times. you stop wayne and clark....garson and collie are decent but they are not all pro game changers and the man to man is good enough to stop them.

Peyton manning had a helluva year but people seem to forget marvin harrison is not lining up to his right anymore and his offensive line isn't all pro caliber (aside from saturday) like they were in the past. This colts passing attack is nowhere as fearsome as those of past years. Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Stokley..and then eventually anthony gonzalez replaced stokley.
    The colts of the past blew teams out of the water. The colts of 2009 eeked out about 4-5 very close games they could have *easily* lost. The same type of games we were on the losing end this season lol

#13 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  14. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I disagree. Wayne is better than VJ. Garcon and Collie are better than Nanne and Floyd. Sproles better than Addai, but Gates and Clark are a toss up. Manning better than Rivers. Colts O line better than SD. I fear the Colts offense far more than the SD offense.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Other then Wayne being better then Vincent Jackson I disagree. Manning makes his receivers seem better then they are cus he can put a ball anywhere he wants. Rivers is a great QB but Gates and Floyd as well as VJ are nasty receivers who have made some rediculous jumps to get balls.