I think the Patriots Era is finally over, now we can control the East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 10, 2010.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Last season, the Jets were led by two inept captains. Mangini couldn't hold the team together and Favre didn't really seem to give a crap(see: his speech before the Dolphins game week 17). The Jets have a QB and a coach who both have the proper passion for the game. Neither this nor anything I've said before guarantees the Jets taking the division next season, but it gives us a much better chance than we have had in a few years.

San Diego delenda est.

2. Jets80win

Jets80win New Member

We got a real nice future but the question is are gonna be able to keep these young talented players

3. RMorin

RMorin Member

The facts are that the Jets (and maybe Miami) have young promising teams while New England has been doing patchwork for the past few years, avoiding a disaster season. Even Bill Simmons (a completely biased Pats follower) wrote an article this year about how the Patriots have simply been filling holes instead of building for the future. In the future years it will be Dolphins vs. Jets for the division title, the Pats are on their way out.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That may be true, however, the law of averages will take over at some point. If they keep having excess picks, they will eventually land themselves some studs. I really think this "Pats are finished" talk is extremely premature. They still have a very talented roster with a lot of very young defensive players. Yeah, they have a ton of holes and I think we are in a great position to challenge them (and POSSIBLY overtake them) over the next 5 years or so. We'll see. Great day, nonetheless.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think the Pats get alot of credit for "making great trades" but look at things from this perspective.

Wes Welker aquired via trade with Dolphins.. Nick Saban threw his buddy Bellichump a bone before he went back to college.

Matt Cassell and Mike Vrable traded to his pal Pioli for high picks

Randy Moss, Seymour for a #1 pick next year...fleecing Al Davis.

Now granted I stand by my opinion that Welker is an overrated system guy and Edelmen proved he can do everything Welker can but some of these trades are shady.

Obviously Pats fans can say Mangini hooked us up but the trades we've made with the Browns are nothing like the ones made by the Pats over the years.

#65 Barry the Baptist, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. week17magic

week17magic New Member

i agree, but i have to say that it's pretty funny that we are saying this when we only won two games in our division this year

7. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Exactly. 2-4 in the division and one playoff win over the Bungles and Jet's fans are declaring the Jets the team of the next decade. Sanchez is still a very big question mark IMO. Pats have tons of picks over the next couple of years, Dolphins have a nice collection of young talent and Jets look to be a 9 to 11 win team over the next few years. AFC east looks like it will be fun for the next 5 years. That being said, I hope the Jets kick ass in San Diego. With the Pats out, I'll be rooting for the Jets the rest of the way. A Jets- Minnesota Super Bowl would be a crazy story.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Take this thread with a grain of salt... the same OP just started a "Why The Chargers are Overrated Thread"

While it's hard to think the Pats are once the scary team they were just a few years ago it's not far fetched to think they go crazy filling holes and drafting depth next year. It's a deep draft and the Pats have alot of picks (although I think Belly gets a little too much credit for his draft picks) Even if they are dead it's not like we won the division and we did still get swept by the Phags and lost at home to Buffalo.

9. izzyabe

izzyabe New Member

The looks on the faces of Brady and Belichick yesterday warmed the cockles of my heart. Long live the Jets, to hell with the Patsies!

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Pats defense is far from what BB wants it to be.

It was great to see Tom Brady have a playoff game like that. He's been such a clutch QB for years now, it was nice to see his human side, lol.

Hopefully Tom keeps on falling, I smell divorce in the off-season.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I don't have time to read everything, but I think the Pats will have to live through a couple (2 or 3) of re-tooling years. Does that mean they will tank? I seriously doubt it. They just will not be nearly as dominant as they were.

I am not sure they ever will be an easy W.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

No on CBS yesterday they said his injury usually takes 1 year to heal so he will be lost to the NEPs next year as well

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets (Thanks to the Giants) have the blueprint to beat the Patriots, stop any chance of them running the ball, and raddle the living shit out of Brady and keep him uncomfortable, Wes Welker no matter what is going to get his yards, but with Revis locking Moss down, they have no other threat on the team as of now, we got the best D in the division and with added parts and Sanchez's development we can take over the AFC East, Dolfags are missing way too many parts to TRULY contend and the Bills well their the Bills

Tanny will do everything in his power to retain his most valuable assets (Sanchez, Revis, Brick, Nick Mangold, David Harris, Keller, Cotch, Greene) Those 8 guys are the future of the Jets for poss the next decade I would like to see these guys retire with the team when it's all said n done.

:up: Keep it up Tanny, and Rex were going to be good, the one thing this franchise needs is cont-unity and a staff that stays there longer 4 years, I want to see Rex, Tanny here for the next 10 years

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

They used to be before BB was there, they were a joke.

Hopefully they'll be returning to that very soon and that stadium will be empty once again.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yes, I remember the lean years there from a Jets fan point of view. I guess if BB retires or moves on then the future is in doubt, but as long as he is there, I really don't think they will ever tank.

I would love it if they did; but won't happen for quite awhile, yet.

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I don't think we can bury the Pats just yet although they don't instill the same fear that they used to. Their air of invincibility is fading and they have lost quite a few core players who were real clubhouse leaders (Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, etc.).

That being said, I think that they have a few real good young players who will break out over the next few years. Merriwether already looks like he's going to be a stud, Mayo is a future Pro-Bowler and Darius Butler looks promising. With tons of picks in a deep draft they could continue to be the team to beat in the AFCE for a while.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I am not as optimistic about their young players as you. I like their OLine prospects and Butler looks like he is going to contribute but Merriwether looks like another Roy Williams to me. I don't see him as being that dangerous in the passing game. Mayo has not really done much after winning DROY. That could be the system or that could just be him. I'm not sure.

Sebastian Vollmer is going to be a great OLineman and Edelman looks like he can step in for Welker at any time. Aside from that, I'm seeing more question marks than sure-fire starters.

San Diego delenda est.

18. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

The Patriots will be back to the SuperBowl before the Jets. Maybe as soon as next year. As I understand it, by making it to the final eight teams this year the Jets can only sign 1 unrestricted free agent for every one they lose and the money must be similar. The Patriots on the other hand can sign as many as they want for as much as they want. They have a lot of $$$ and it's almost a certainty that it will be an uncapped year next year.

From article XXI of the CBA section 4
    Section 4. Replacement of Free Agents Signed by Other Club: Each of the eight Clubs subject to the provisions of this Article shall be permitted to negotiate and sign one Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract (?New Player?) for each Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the prior League Year, who has signed with another Club (?Previous Player?), so long as the Player Contract for the New Player shall have a first year Salary of no more than the first year Salary of the Player Contract signed by the Previous Player with the New Club, and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, excluding any amounts attributable to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to
    this Subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

old news anything else you want to say. we dont need to sign free agents our team is young and improving.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

When did Kraft sell the team to Dan Snyder? my prayers couldn't have been answered that fast