The next Welker ... Jacoby Ford

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

This kid has become a legit WR and is by far the fastest receiver to come out of college in a couple years.

He has run under 4.2 on a few accations and has improved his routes to become a top 5-10 WR in the draft. Projected by most to be a 2nd or early third round pick.

He is also one of the best return guys. If we draft a WR in the 1-2 rounds this year, this is the guy I want.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's a track star wearing football pads.

The guy's become a much better receiver since he's been at Clemson, but he's not even close to Wes Welker, so I don't like that comparison at all. They aren't on the same level when it comes to hands and route running.

3. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

I'm pretty sure that Wes Welker is completely different. Welker isn't the fastest guy--he just has great hands and ability to run after the catch. Welker is not about speed. I just don't see any similarity.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jacoby Ford isn't a slot receiver. Ford will be an excellent KR/PR in the NFL and used as a 4th receiver...maybe some bubble screens or trys to stretch the field. I don't see a huge upside for Ford, he's not a true Football player.

5. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If I was looking for a Welker type, I'd go Freddie Barnes (maybe if he had a little more speed) or Jordan Shipley (duh). Maybe Jeremy Williams from Tulane too, though he could probably be viewed as a more complete wide receiver than as solely a slot guy.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

people love track stars for WRs. Let's all draft Heyward-Beys every year.

7. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I didn't know you posted here, Mr. Davis. All joking aside, it's very poor comparison.

You don't need to run a 4.2 to be a great reciever in this league. Guys like Chrebet and Welker are living examples of that. Blazing speed isn't always what makes a reciever dangerous. Explosion off the line of scrimmage into a crisp, precise route with hands like glue are these guys' forte. Couple that with the uncanny ability to find windows underneath coverages finished off with the vision and elusiveness to gain YAC is what makes these guys special.

That being said, Jacoby Ford is too raw for my liking. Does he have some upside? Possibly as a project for a team with a solid WR coach willing to invest the time. But looking at all of our needs for this draft, I'm just not willing to gamble a pick on a WR with so many question marks.

8. N8n619

N8n619 New Member

Hands down... it has to be Jordan Shipley

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

LOL no doubt.

What sets Welker apart is he is an elite route runner. The man just knows how to get open almost every play.

Besides that, He has good hands and is not afriad of playing in traffic. He is not a burner or deep threat, but NE does not need im to be.

.... If we go receiver in round one, I want Tate. He's the best compliment to our current core of guys.

10. The GM

The GM New Member

The person that compares to Welker the most for me is Jordan Shipley, which is the fan favorite comparison.

Another WR that can do Welker does on Sunday is Golden Tate from Notre Dame. Tate is a RB-turned-WR and he is excellent after the catch. He's faster than Welker and has great hands and will likely be more than a slot WR in the NFL. Nevertheless, if he landed in a slot WR role somewhere (who knows, maybe NE) he could be absolutely lethal.