Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsrule, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 1EyeWalker

1EyeWalker New Member

With as well as Greene looked, the team must think long and hard about locking up Leon and letting TJ walk in offseason. The money saved on TJ can be directed toward defense/OL/WR.

No one wants to consider letting Jones go, but hes 31 and non explosive. We traded up to get Greene for a reason. Bye bye Jones.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Meh, before the year started, everyone figured Jones was gone because of the presence of Greene and Washington along with TJ's desire for a new contract and rising age.

The wildcard is the lack of a salary cap. If next year is uncapped then Jones can easily come back, and I imagine he will. If somehow a cap is instituted, then yes, I agree with you. But otherwise, why dump Jones while he's still productive?

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Thomas Jones will retire a Jet. As long as he's still a productive back, he should be on this team.

I used to be all about shipping him out, but we have to keep him. Having two powerful backs is important with our offense.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We still have Jones under contract with an uncapped year coming up. Unless there is someone on the roster at another position who we absolutely cannot cut, Jones will stay on the roster. Remember, Leon is coming off of a catastrophic leg injury and might not be ready to go right away. Even if Leon is back to 100% by the start of next season, Jones could still serve as a decent change of pace back.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know for sure, but Jones wasn't hitting the hole like he has been for most of the season. He's been hesitating at the line a lot like he did at the beginning of the season. They brought Greene in more and Jones started fighting again. I'd chalk it up to a motivational technique,

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

To be quite honest the Colts starters constitute one of the fastest defenses in the game. We all know Jones isnt a bulldozer, the kind of back that usually beats the crap out of a small fast defense, like the Colts. He just couldnt hit the holes and gaps fast enough. So his hesitations, stutter steps just didnt work against the Colts. They are just too fast for him @ this point.

Greene on the other hand hit the holes with power and quickness. Those defenders were getting steamrolled. He is definitely the kind of back that will bust the Colts up.

Jones did fine after some of the starters were out and Greene softened em up..... Just my opinion.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Jones' running style isn't as a bruiser, he's more read and react. The Colts are the fastest defense we have come up against this season(Saints?) so it makes sense that Jones was not as effective as he was in the past. By the time he read the holes and made his move, they were filled. That's why Greene was a better option because he has the power to nullify their speed. Once Greene softened them up, Jones was more effective.

Also, as with the Saints game, Jones always seems to try a little harder after Shonn Greene shows him up. I'm not sure if it's Jones getting jealous and worried for his own playing time or if Greene's play is just firing Jones up and getting him more psyched.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Again, keep in mind, Thomas Jones said it himself in the postgame press conference that Greene got more reps than normal during the week (I can't remember his exact quote.) The game plan was to use Greene more against the Colts.

That's good coaching people. But BS is incapable of such, isn't he? Or maybe we can just credit Rex with the whole gameplan. :wink:

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Greene is an animal but the guy has a shelf life of about 5 years the way he plays.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

thats what i feel, he reminds me a lot of brandon jacobs and if he has to take most of the carries he wont last like a TJ has.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The guy is nuthin like Jacobs-IMO.

Jacobs is a LB/DE in size.
    Maybe you mean from a making contact POV? meh...still say no, sorry.