Dustin Keller

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DHarris52, Nov 16, 2009.

1. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Dustin "Alligator Arms" Keller is starting to wear out his welcome with me. He has seemed to be scared to death of going over the middle and taking a hit all year. This is simply unacceptable from your #1 TE.

He dropped two huge passes today, one hitting him square in the hands and the other hitting him directly in between his 8 and his 1.

Maybe it's a byproduct of Shotty/Sanchez relying too heavily on him as essentially the focal point of our passing attack. I don't know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but he's got to get his head back in the game.

2. Christian

Christian Active Member

This guy has all the tools to be a great receiving tight end in this league. He loses focus at the worst times though and it gets really frustrating watching him drop pass after pass.

3. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

i don't understand whats going on with him. i just hope he gets it together soon.

4. Kenny

Kenny New Member

first people complain when he doesn't get the ball enough, now he is getting the ball too much? which one is it..

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I think we need to place the blame where it belongs. Obviously the #81 jersey is cursed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

The dropped passes were bad, but he still had a respectable day. Plenty of talented receivers drop the ball.

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't think he's afraid to get hit. He always runs hard for yards after the catch and he's taken some big hits doing that, plus he's had drops all over the field. I think it's just an issue with concentration. Whatever it is, it definitely needs to be addressed by the CS.

8. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

He's been a pretty big disappointment for most of this season. If you can't block, you better be able to catch. Being fast and big isn't enough without the catching. What's that saying, once is an accident, twice a trend, three a problem? I think it's safe to say we're beyond the point where we can call it an aberration, he's going through a pretty thorough sophomore slump. Which is a tremendous shame, because some reliability at TE goes a long way with a rookie quarterback.

9. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

the drop on the deep throw would've been an amazing catch and in no way is a ball he "has to catch". The throw was a little long (albeit a great throw, especially on the run) and he got drilled right after it nicked his fingertips

10. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I clearly stated that I don't know what Keller's deal is, but are you happy with being able to count the number of times per game Edwards is targeted on one hand?

But that's a different discussion for a different thread.

11. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Sorry, but disagree big time. That was a beautifully thrown ball that hit him square in the hands. He flat out heard footsteps and dropped it, no way around it.

Him getting flattened afterwards is a seperate issue. Would he have held onto the ball? I don't know. He didn't give us a chance to find out.

12. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

I agree, I wouldn't be so hard on him if he was a WR, but he's a TE. If you outweigh most corners who are trying to hit you and you're still afraid of getting hit, that's a huge problem.

I still agree with everyone above though saying it's mostly a concentration problem. I hope he gets out of this slump because Keller needs to be someone that Sanchez can count on to be reliable. The TE has always filled that role in most offenses and Keller should be no different.

13. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

Watch the freakin game. Yes keller dropped a pass across the middle and a play or two later Edwards picked him up and got the first down. The play your talking about would have been an amazing catch, Keller laid himself out for the ball and got drilled. I don't know how that was ducking a hit. Several times in the game he fought for yards. Very tired of the trash Edwards and Keller threads. Both lay theirselves out consistently to make catches. Cotchery had a couple great plays yesterday also. This team doesn't have a receiver problem.

14. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

He's definitely hitting some sorta sophomore slump. He was invisible for a good portion of this year and his drops are very disturbing.

15. takrew

takrew New Member

changing your quote.....

Cuz I am bitter....

"If somebody wants to suck, we'll line up and out-suck them. We don't care. Whatever they want to do. We're more than happy to accomodate." - Rex Ryan

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

keller is fine.....once sanchez matures a bit and the jets get another bonafide WR weapon it will open up the middle for him a bit more.

jil

17. Phear

Phear New Member

We do not need another wr. Edwards, cotchery and keller should be more than suffice as targets for sanchez.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

He plays scared. Period.

People need to stop making excuses for him.

19. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I'm not sure what game you were watching...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Like Parcells used to say: "If you get a hand on it, you gotta find a way to bring it in."

Keller got BOTH hands on it, heard footsteps and simply dropped the football. Just the facts.

20. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Dustin Keller is more disappointing that Vernon Gholston right now.

This guy was suppose to be the sure thing over the middle, the one that could be trusted if Sanchez had any trouble. The only game where he looked like the beast TE that was such a tough matchup for LB and CB's to cover was Week One against the Houston Texans.

The Keller we want and need is missing.