2009 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsNation06, Sep 5, 2009.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Is Jon Gruden really a candidate for HC at Notre Dame?
    Weis definitely seems good as gone -- 2 straight losses to Navy certainly earns it.
    But does Gruden really want a college HC position?

Question #2 ---- is ND really better off as an Independent?? Seems all they care about is the NBC contract. I get the feeling they could recruit much better if they got into a an actual conference --- like Penn St. did once they joined the Big 10.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Did you read that somewhere or is it just your speculation? I'd love it!
    I think it depends on how many of the big name coaches will get back into the NFL next year (Cowher, Holmgren ecc). If they do they'll take the most interesting teams and Gruden might want to get that Notre DAme job... if they don't I think he'll find a good NFL team for himself (assuming he wants to coach next year, he seems to love his broadcasting job).

3. ........

........ Trolls

It's been common knowledge for a while now that Notre Dame is his dream job. He's made reference to that fact on some pre-game shows, although I don't have a link for you. His dad was an assistant there while Jon was growing up.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. Charlie Weis has never beaten USC. Losing to them again this season, pretty much means he'll be packing his bags.

2. Notre Dame gets to play whoever they want. I'd like to see them in a conference, but I don't see it happening for a while...especially as long as the BCS is still around. Also, the Irish have no problems with recruiting - they bring in big time players each and every year. Weis and the coaching is the main reason they aren't a dominant team. There's no reason a team with so many top rated recruits should be so mediocre.

5. IATA

IATA Trolls

Whats the deal with Jahvid Best? After that brutal concussion last night, any word on his plans for the upcoming draft?

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He had a concussion man. It's not career threatening...scary shit though. I thought he was done.

Also, after how poorly all of the super productive Cal backs have played at the next level, I'm not too high on Best.

I'd rather have CJ Spiller, Jonathan Dwyer, or Ryan Mathews if my team needed a running back.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

My net was wonky, haven't been able to peruse alot of the sites I usually check out.

I was only able to see what TSN showed me, which was him getting carted off the field and reporting that he was able to move his arms and legs. The report made it seem like he was done.

I think Best is...the best...Cal back in awhile. The kid just have some amazing moves and speed. Good hands and was able to make plays in a tough conference. Having a crummy QB like Riley and Verran Tucker isn't exactly a play-making machine.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wait a second...the PAC-10 is a tough conference?

I think Marshawn Lynch was a more complete back for the Golden Bears. I definitely know Best can't be a feature back at the pro level. He may work well out of a committee though.

There's better options out there...hell, there are better options in the PAC-10. Look at USC's stable of running backs.

I'll say it here for the first time: Fresno's Ryan Mathews the best running back in the nation. I used to think he was the best back on the west coast, but with each passing week, the kid just seems better and better.

#688 Mr Electric, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Truth be told I haven't seen him play enough to make a definitive statement on where he ranks nationally. I have a hard time imagining that he's better than Mark Ingram, however--I really think that Ingram is the complete package, and we get the pleasure of watching him run behind a good line.

I'd be very surprised if Gruden leaves television so soon. I think he's gonna stay off the sideline for 3 or 4 years before jumping back in, and in any case I think he'd be more inclined to take another NFL job.

If Weis is fired, I think the smart money is on Brian Kelly to land the Irish job.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I don't even want to start thinking about how much Weis' buyout is going to be. Big $$$. That said, Charlie will not be back in South Bend as he has made too many enemies within the powerful ND elite in addition to not living up to expectations on the field.

Kelly would be a great hire. He's a perfect fit, midwest guy, Irish Catholic, dream job. He's ND's #1 choice, no question about it.

Gruden is a little too much about himself for the college game. He'll get another pro gig shortly.

11. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

No Charles Scott is out for the year damn it!!! he is so awesome

12. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Yeah that does suck. He never really got off the ground this season but he's a fun player to watch, hopefully he can make it back for LSU's bowl game.

Take away the injuries suffered by Scott, Jefferson and Black and the Tigers very well may have dropped Alabama and totally changed the national landscape. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

The more this season progresses, however, the more I believe that we are headed for a great Alabama/Texas National Championship.

13. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

PTI said it best there is really something wrong with the officiating that Peterson INT was totally a pick, he had two feet in. First when he clearly caught the ball and second when he pulled it in. Bullshit. Then again our coaching was not fantastic, even though we could have looked stupid we did do a good job and maybe we can get a new years day bowl game

btw Patrick Peterson is going to be a nasty NFL corner some day

14. GatorNation52

GatorNation52 New Member

It was absolutely an INT, the SEC refs this year have just been atrocious. In reality though, it probably wouldnt have mattered since Jarrett Lee was playing. Lee is just terrible. I dont even know why he's your #2 QB, youd be better off just letting Russell Shepherd play QB if Jefferson cant go.

15. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Agreed, as being a team that lost to the top teams its true, but just the calls in general are pretty horrendous. I thought PTI did make a good point (I'd post the video but you need insider, which I have but I know a bunch of people don't) basically wilbon said that the SEC has some kind of conspiracy that they need to have one of their teams in the national championship game. What is really pathetic is that the SEC does not even really need to try, because the way the schedule was shaping up the likely hood of either LSU, Bama, or Florida losing another game was slim and obviously the winner of the championship game is going to the national championship game\

Also I havent seen Sheppard throw the ball enough to warrant him getting the job, I would like to but he really has made so few passing attempts and with Charles Scott out we need him in the ground game more than ever

16. GatorNation52

GatorNation52 New Member

I haven't seen sheppard throw enough to warrant him playing enough either but truth be told, he can't be any worse of a passer than Lee. Furthermore, at least if a Defense sees Sheppard back there they'll have to spy someone cause he can take off at any time. With Lee they can either send everyone or drop everyone, not too much of a threat that he'll pull it down. Having Lee back there is just completely pointless. I can understand why they did it in the Bama game cause they had the lead and he didn't need to make plays, until the end. If Lee can just turn around and hand it off then he's fine, but when you ask him to make plays its just a disaster waiting to happen.

As a side note, Jordan Jefferson is one of the worst option QBs I've ever seen for a guy who has his athletic ability. When he runs the option it is just painful. I also think Miles is doing a terrible job of utilizing Sheppard as a playmaker, he didn't see a snap against UF. LSU has a bright future though especially if Sheppard is a QB in the future.

17. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Yes Miles is really stubborn he doesnt really like to change things. Also Jefferson cant run the option because of he is thinking to much, he doesnt know when to dump it off

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjUel23ffM[/YOUTUBE]

This is the kind of thing that the people I associate with do during Rutgers games.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Daaamn, Dexter McCluster runs really well and will probably get stronger in the next few years, which means he'll have an awesome combo of speed and strength. McCluster is listed at 5'8, 165 lbs.

Forget the height aspect because we're starting to see short RBs have consistent success in the NFL. So if he adds some weight, I think he's gonna be a playmaker at the next level.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Holy shit, McCluster just surpassed 250 yards and the 4th Quarter just began.