Start the Kid!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, May 4, 2006.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

By kid I mean Kellen Clemens our new QB. I know what you thinking "bad idea!" but seriously I think its somethin Mangini and the boys should consider. Its not looking very promising for a full-fledged Pennington comeback, so we already know what to expect from him, his same stuff only a little less effective. Now on to Pat Ramsey, he's decent no slouch, but hes proved he's nothing special. I think we can all agree he's not "the answer" - maybe Clemens is...? With Ramsey sure, maybe we'll have a few good ones here or there- heck we'll prolly finish 6-10 / 7-9. With Clemens we don't know. Best case scenerio we stole a "sleeping giant" and he's the next Brady or Roethlisberger and takes charge from day 1 leading us far. Worst case scenerio he's terrible and we finish dead last, then we realize that he's not the answer and a certain Brady Quinn comes to town. All im saying is, lets be honest, does anyone think we are a playoff team with Ramsey/Pennington?, but with Clemens we have no idea. I say show some intestinal fortitude and take a chance on the kid.

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Clemens is a rookie and injured. Give him time to heal and learn the game. Ramsey can hold down the fort, and maybe surprise us.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

My first wish would be for Chad to make a full successful comeback. My second would be for us to keep Brooks and get rid of Ramsey. If Chad can't go,i.m with you. Start the kid.

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Let his ankle rest, even though I'm sure he's pretty close to healthy, and let him learn. Although, I don't think it would be entirely out of the realm of possibilities that he does end up starting a game or two towards the end of the season. If Chad just flat out can't play anymore and if Ramsey ends up sucking ass and the season is lost, he might just get in there.

5. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

worst theory ever.

6. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Let me get this straight...Herm is an idiot for starting Pennington coming off of his shoulder surgery but Mangini should start Clemens, a rookie who was not even that great as a senior coming off of a major leg injury?

...why?

7. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Give Brick, Mangold, and Jones a year or two to develop and mature into their positions before puitting Clemens life at risk. It would also be nice to find out what Ramsey can do with a fresh start so we can make an educated decsion on whether or not to resign him. It would also be nice to see what Chad can do under the new CS. Most likley either Chad or Ramsey will not be on the roster in 2007. It would be nice to give them a both a fair chance to see which one to keep. I am all for giving Clemens a few snaps in pre-season but letting him sit and learn for a year or two will only make him better.

8. The Book 24

The Book 24 Banned

Clemens was a steal in the draft if you ask me. The way Jaws was talking about this guy was making me feel good. He was even comparing them to the top QB's in the draft.

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

:lol: shows how much i knew about the kid. I had no idea he was injured.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Clemmens will start at some point this year. It all depends how long it takes Ramsey to collapse. Penny is all but done (I hate to admit that, since I really like him, but it's time to face the music.) Unless this CS is willing to put the club in the hands of Bollinger in an effort to let Clemmens learn, I can't see him on the bench past November.

Part of the theory is good though. Clemmens should have the chance to play at some point this year, and for at least a few games. We need to see this kid in action to determine whether he is the eventual answer. If he flops, we will be in a decent position to pursue Quinn come next April.

11. Pride

Pride New Member

Although I would love to support you and start the future now, it just isnt smart. If this kid is our future I do not want him to take a step on the field until his ankle is 110%, it wouldnt hurt him to work on his mechanics, learn the system, and let chad take him under his wing:)lol:), Lets let our rookie center and LT get some experience before they make a rookie mistake and get Kellen killed. If the seasons losing meaning and we are obviously going nowhere the thought of Kellen starting is not a bad notion

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Kellen will need a full year before he can compete. (If not longer)

I wouldn't mind seeing him in December if the playoffs are out of reach.

13. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Its the age old question-Do you let the first round QB learn from the bench or on the field-but good thing this isnt even a question because he was a second rounder-we did not draft him to play now-just be patient with the guy

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

pretty close :breakdance:

15. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Starting Clemens would be the worst thing the new regime could do. You have to give him time to learn. There are far too many examples of qb's that sat the 1st year, learned the NFL game and then started in their 2nd or even 3rd year. We have 2 vets that we can use this year, let one of them start. If Clemens is our QB of the future then you have to be careful with him and bring him along slowly, which is exactly what this team will do. We want this team to win as many games possible correct? well our chances are alot better with qb's that have actually taken snaps in the NFL. Let the kid sit and learn for a year and have him go into camp in 07 with not only confidence but a better understanding of the game.

16. The U

The U Member

Lets make sure he is ready before we just throw him into the fire. But if he is ready by the time we know for sure we wont make the playoffs, then start the kid.

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am sure the agree with that. If not then we will probably see him in 2007.

18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Starting Clemens this early would kill all hope for a successful rebuild, which this oline still with no experience together, CLemens coming off of injury, it is just asking for another Penny situation

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did training camp happen without my knowledge?

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I hope Clemens only plays in blowouts in 2006.