One of the Worst QB Performances in NFL History.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 19, 2009.

?

Any Chance we Should Bench Sanchez?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2009.
  1. Yes, let him sit for a few games to get his feet under him.

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Not now, but if he follows up with a repeat performance in Oak.

22 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Not unless he has a string of games like this (3-4 more).

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. No, he needs to take his lumps regardless of how bad he does.

66 vote(s)
    48.9%
  5. Fuck You WSW.

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Wow....that took a long time. Six games. Welcome to the green and white Mark. I don't know why anybody would want to play here.

He's not the only QB who has ever had it rough in their rookie year. The good ones get through it and learn from it, the bad ones don't. If you bench him, your taking a chance on pushing him toward the latter class.

The Jets and Ryan have made their bed here. They are comitted - for better or for worse, and they need to let this play out.

2. ........

........ Trolls

No, don't sit him. Especially with the news that Jenkins is out for the season. We're unlikely to compete for a playoff spot at this point with anyone under center. Like I said in another thread, who Mark is and who his family is provides a huge benefit. I guarantee he's already getting the support he needs and he's working his ass off. Sideline demeanor is one thing. This is not a kid who quits, this is not a kid who self-destructs, and this will not be a kid who allows himself to give in to a bad game.

3. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I have been expecting (and kept posting) inconsistency from Sanchez since the moment he was signed. The only thing I did not expect was the wide range of this inconsistency (very high highs, to go with this very low low). The guy only started 16 games in college, for crissakes.

If Ryan was gonna bench him, he should have (would have) benched him at some point during the game yesterday. But he didn't, so he sure as hell better not now. That would be idiotic, first leaving him in there when he was clearly losing it, then turning around and not giving him the chance to stay in there after he's had time to calm down, get his head straight & his focus back. Especially since it's the Raiders.

I do not thin Rex Ryan is an idiot, so I think this entire poll is pointless. He will start next week. Period.

#123 puddnhead, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

You don't bench our future for fucking Kellen Clemens.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Iggy, what's your take on that sideline demeanor? The poor play is expected from a rookie QB - not THIS bad, but I expected some bad games. The hanging the head and looking defeated shit was terrible though. He's supposed to be the leader of the team - that crap has got to go. This is my biggest criticism of him so far.

Before people think I'm being too harsh - like I said before, I do expect him to be very good for us. He's shown a lot of very good things.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking, and obviously I don't want this to happen, let's say he goes out and lays similar eggs the next two or three weeks. Would you still keep him in? Is he the starter regardless?

7. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I agree. I was at the game, and I watched him sit on the sidelines with head in hands. He should have been looking at game photos and talking to the coaches and Clemens about what he did wrong and how to fix it, and been chomping at the bit to get back in there. To be successful in this league you need to display mental toughness. Yesterday raised the first real doubts in my mind about this kid, and it wasn't his play, it was his demeanor.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Interesting thing about the holding by Hartsock. It was on a running play that was third and five that only picked up two yards, even with the hold. I understand it pushed the Jets back from an easier FG attempt, but the irony is the play came on a running attempt on third and five that did not get it done.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I'm giving it a few days before I try to find out. I don't want to get into a discussion about it with the person I talk to. She's 100% been his biggest fan for 15 years and takes it very hard when things like this happen. I'm just hoping she doesn't try to read any of the media, but I think we're safe there.

It's disappointing to see that, but this is the first time in his life that he's had that kind of a day. I'm sure it hit him hard, but I'm also sure that he'll grow from it. That preseason game against the Ravens was one thing. To have this happen in the regular season is going to have more of an effect. Again, though, he's got one hell of a support circle around him. I doubt he'd ever let himself stay depressed about the game, but even in that unlikely event, they sure as hell won't let him.

I can't take any positives out of yesterday. It was absolutely piss poor. Having said that, there may be some positives from the week after.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

His body language was awful.

11. ........

........ Trolls

I want to see how he responds without so many question marks. Yesterday, he had his first shit weather game, no Cotchery and Smith, and his first game with significant dropped balls. He should have been able to rebound from all that. He didn't. I want to see how he responds to that game regardless of circumstances, but also how he looks with Cotchery and Smith back before I consider whether he should be sitting.

12. ........

........ Trolls

And I'm sure he's being told that.

13. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Weird poll results. To me it's obvious: no way in hell you bench him now, but if he truly does as bad next week against Oakland (is that even possible? but that's what the poll choice is) ... can you seriously see Ryan leaving him in if he's still still that bad & we're in the 2nd, 3rd quarter against a beatable team like Oakland?

To me it's a no-brainer you'd pull him at that point, but ... literally half of you all say no, leave him in there, no matter how bad it gets/stays. Only 18% agree with what I just said above.

First: Yow, to me that spells a recipe for destroying the kid forever (like what happened to Ankiel for the Cards a few years back). You gotta get him out of there if he keeps self destructing, don't you? What possible good would there be leaving him in there to the end of the Oakland game?

Second: Forget about Sanchez & his psyche ... they have a game to win, and a game they should win, against Oakland! This is about the Jets & winning games, right? Not all about Mark Sanchez?

Half the time there are polls on this site, I am stunned by the results.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I think if it continues for the next 2-3 weeks, yeah we definitely leave him in. The season is shot at that point anyway, so there's no point in removing him.

Nice Sig :up: :)

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Rex already mentioned during his press conference that he thought about benching him during the game, but he did not and that he would remain the starter. We will see if he is a man of his word.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i voted to let him take his lumps.... but i am kinda undecided on this whole subject. does it ruin a kids head if you let him take his lumps? i have to think the kid has to be mentally strong enough to take em and keep getting back up... or is it asking too much of him?

i dont know but i think you have to let him ride it out and hope for the best, try to protect him, try to get him away from his tendencies (there are more guys than edwards out there) and please god teach him to protect the ball.

sancheese (just came up with that gem yesterday :)) will be best served by taking his lumps and it will either go far to make him a better qb OR he will flounder and fail. im up in the air on that still.

17. La Sanchezia

La Sanchezia New Member

Benching him for Oakland would serve no purpose. The kid locked onto Braylon all game and obviously was missing Cotchery and Smith (maybe even Stuckey) Let the wr corps get healthy again and Sanchez will be fine.

18. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

21/29 for 278 yards, 3 TDs, 0 int yesterday. Any clue who did that? LOL

19. quadcityjetsfan76

21/29 for 278 yards, 3 TDs, 0 int yesterday. Any clue who did that? LOL

Pennington? Wait, no.........

#139 quadcityjetsfan76, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  20. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

:rofl: Nope.

BTW.....its good to be a Hawkeyes fan these days, huh?