Peyton's Rookie Year Stats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pats-hater, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I know everyone knows this but Peyton had a miserable rookie campaign. I remember watching him throw pick after pick after pick. He did throw TDs though. The kid is a rookie, yeah it sucks watching the team lose like this but we have to give this guy a chance. Keep playing him, humble him and let him build his repertoire with our receivers. This kid is going to be good, we just have to give him the chance.

http://www.peytonmanning18.com/1998.html

TD 26
    INT 28
    Rating 71.2
    Record 3-13

2. All Star

All Star Active Member

Looking at it game by game is even more interesting, Manning had 11 picks after four games.

3. MisterBouncyBounce

MisterBouncyBounce New Member

does anyone remember eli's rookie year? remember one knock on him was he didn't throw a tight spiral and questioning whether he could throw in the meadowlands wind and whether he could play in cold weather heading to green bay for the NFC game, how favre could deal with it but eli would be effected? well we all know how all that turned out.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Peyton had a real slow start. As I recall, he really came on towards the end of the year and the Colts upset the Jets that year which was one of only 4 losses for the season.

5. MisterBouncyBounce

this is a snippet from a story about JP losman. the relevant portion is Jim Fassel talking about QBs. http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/ufl/news/story?id=4346612

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

remember Troy Aikman also...that guy stunk up the joint.

7. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Unfortunately this is NY and we don't allow people to develop.

8. John127

John127 New Member

Great post. While I;m now thinking they should've pulled him after #3 yesterday, I was posting stuff like this last night. Benching a struggling rookie QB has no bearing on his future. It's been proved time and time again.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What are growing pains?

10. JETSJetsJetsJets

JETSJetsJetsJets New Member

I think the worst thing that could have happened to Sanchez was starting out 3-0. It not only put an unrealistic expectation level on the team but, more importantly, on himself.

He was good, not great, in those first 3 games and has played much more like a rookie since then. I think he has the physical tools, footwork, desire, etc. to be a great quarterback in this league...but for 95% of the guys who step in here as rookies, there is a HUGE learning curve that Mark is just starting to head down. Once he's done learning these valuable lessons, we will have something we have not had since Nameth...a super star QB in his early 20's.

He will be just fine if we all just lighten the expectation level and accept the fact that, in the NFL, you usually have to go through hell to get to heaven in regard to quarterbacks and Sanchez is no different.

I'll tell you what though, he takes losing REALLY HARD and that speaks volumes about the competition level in this young man...all the great ones have that fire and Mark does too. He gets his head around the way this game has to be played at this level and watch out.

11. Colintes

Colintes New Member

Peyton also never had a a Qb rating close to single digits that year, and didnt come close to throwing 5 picks, the Sanchize has looked worse and worse after each game, if he is abysmal verse Oakland i say give the ball to Clemens.

12. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Eli threw 5 picks against the Vikings. And I think that's the year they won the SB (not saying the Jets will win the SB this year, so relax). Shit happens. He had a God awful game. It's game 6 of his rookie year, and the first year he's dealing with cold, rain, Meadowlands Winds. No matter what anyone says, you can't downplay that this was his first for all of that shit. Way too soon to think about benching this kid for Clemens. If Clemens had the potential to take us to the SB, he would have started this year.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

This is a better comparison:

Getting a little glimpse at the NFL before being thrown to the wolves and some Kurt tutelage. In 2004 he had 7 starts, with 9 INT's to 6 TD's.

In 2005 in his first full season, he had 24 TD's to 17 INT's.
    2006, 24 TD's, 18 INT's
    2007, 23 TD's, 20 INT's. This was the year just like the previous where many began to doubt if Eli could ever win. As we all know they won the SB that year but Eli still didn't have impressive stats.

Finally in o8 his ratio is much better, 21 TD's, 10 INT's. Eli has learned how to throw in Giants stadium in his 5th year. By learn I just mean learn how not to throw picks, especially at home.

I have all the faith in the world in this Kid we all dubbed Sanchize. Some Jet fans need to grow a pair and quit bitching. He's only 22 and has made some beautiful passes this year.

14. MisterBouncyBounce

was sanchez supposed to be stellar right out of the gate? remember its not like he played lights out the first 3 games. right now the thing that has to be looked at is not his mistakes but his tools, does he have the tools, is he showing he has the tools? the answer IMO is yes. so long as you have the tools, mentally and physically everything else can and will be worked out. we're supposed to be building something that will last 10/15 years and make us an elite organization not trying to be a one and done team.(like say, the vikes this year or us last year).

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Take into considerations we only have 1 WR out there

and Keller sucked

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's been very inconsistent, but with a rookie QB gotta take the bad with the good, he's had 2 horrible games but the other games were actually pretty decent for Sanchez, he played very well against Miami, with no TOs, let the guy keep playing, no need to bench him, go back to practice and keep working, if anything this will make him stronger mentally

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Keller played an awful game and him and Sanchez have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.

18. GreenBleeder69

I know we're looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, but someone elses stats mean nothing in terms of how Mark Sanchez develops. Manning had a rough rookie year, but so did Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, and David Carr and the Cinderella career never panned out for them. I really hope Sanchez turns into another Peyton Manning. I can't even fathom what it would be like to have a QB of that caliber for the next 10-12 years but lets be realistic. It's much easier, and much more common to be a pedestrian QB than it is to be an elite one.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

True on all accounts.

I would just like to have a solid QB for years to come, he doesn't have to be HOF caliber, that sure would be nice though.

Teams in the North East aren't typically built like that. It's about rushing and defense. Take every Giants SB winning team and that was the formula and that's the formula Rex seems to be building.

The O-Line and our running game took a huge leap forward yesterday, granted it was the Bills but it's a start.

When Mark is on he can play almost mistake free football. so I'm still a believer that this is our guy.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Well it's all great how those hall of fame qb's had bad stats in the beginning of their careers, but they all went to teams who had great offensive minds as their HC or OC, our offensive scheme would make HOF qb's into regular NFL qb's.