Did Pace really say this???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Banned

I like this person.... :grin:

2. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

I hope with all the flashy art and expensive orange carpet they can afford reading classes for their fans

3. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Maybe we're arguing over the same thing. I look at the word distinguishable and think "recognizable and common". I'm assuming you agree because you said that every football team at every level has one. And you post a definition of a gimmick, and lead with it being just that, "distinguishable". Wouldn't that classify a fake punt, in your own words, as a gimmick?

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

they would do it 100% of the time. But I personally enjoy watching a QB in a pocket throwing the ball. I wouldn't like it if the Jets did it even if they went 14-2.

but it seems to work. So i guess its here to stay

5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

.........QFT

6. RockyMtnPhinFan

RockyMtnPhinFan New Member

Maybe we will just have J-lo come out and kick your teams butt next time. You earned that one Albert. We are just interpreting differently.

Just keep your eye on the wildcat, you will surely see it again.

7. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

Well said !

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Banned

I don't really care for it either. There are times when I think they run it on 1st down and when they don't have success, it puts the QB in a bad position when he has to come back on a 3rd and long. I would rather that we just ran our base offense but the team is determined to use whatever tools it can to put W's in the win column.

9. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

They can make whatever variations they want to make . Once DC's get their teams to stay focused on containment and basically force teams to throw from the wildcat formation - the balance will begin to shift. Sure those Rb's, college Qb's etc may beat them with a throw once in a while , but more than likely when their forced to throw more often - turnovers will happen.

The problem is the Jets defenders were getting too far upfield and lost containment on the running lanes. And when they did have chances to make tackles for losses they whiffed.

10. JETSJetsJetsJets

JETSJetsJetsJets New Member

...how about not saying anything?

11. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

I just find it hilarious that 4 points is an ass whooping to you. 32-0 is an ass whooping. We will see it again that's for sure, hopefully next time we will be ready for it.

12. keypusher

keypusher Member

Facts and figures re the Wildcat:

we ran it 16/64 plays last night=25%

Last year we ran it on 8% of offensive plays. It is working a lot better this year than last. We upgraded at center and our starting guards are healthy so far. But I think it's just greater familiarity and confidence. Also, Ricky Williams looks a lot better this year than last.

The pass to Fasano is not new. Brown threw a TD to Fasano on that same play last year at NE.

We don't seem to use an unbalanced line anymore. The typical Wildcat has two tight ends, with Haynos on the right side and Fasano on the left. Haynos is about 270, so it is kind of like having another tackle in there.

The discussion re whether it is a gimmick seems to break down into semantic arguments about what a gimmick is. To me it's not a gimmick because the basic play is pure power football. Williams goes in motion so that he reaches Brown at the snap. Brown has the option of handing to Williams on the so called jet sweep, taking it himself off-tackle, or cutting back.

This from the New York Times (which has been posted here before, I am sure) is a pretty good discussion of how the formation works, though it talks about the unbalanced line which we don't seem to use anymore.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/jets-at-dolphins-how-the-wildcat-works/

If I picked a headline story for this game, though, it wouldn't be the Wildcat, it would be Henne. 151 yards rushing isn't spectacular for a team that runs as much as the Dolphins do. 20-26-241 with two TDs, no INTs and no sacks is stunning. Not many Dolphins fans expected that.

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Ironically, I noticed Pace missing tackles more than anyone last night.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Banned

Take away the two gimmick plays that you guys converted on 4th down, the one pass interference penalty on Will Allen and I could easily see the Jets scoring at least 14 points less. It doesn't matter though. All that is woulda, shoulda, coulda, what if scenarios. The bottom line is that the Jets did get pushed around last night. That's why your fans and team are so upset about it....

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Henne's performance was surprising, I think the fact that the Jets D just didn't show up helped a lot. His stats were also padded by YAC's.

Noodleton getting injuried might be like Bledsoe getting injured, I'm not saying Henne is Brady but he looked good last night. He's clearly a better option then the other Chad too.

16. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

No, fucking newbie unscarred fans, that haven't lived and died (mostly died) with this team for 40+ years, yet think they can criticize those that have. And FYI, the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, and the Steelers all won Super Bowls. This team should shut up and win, not talk and fall on their asses, like they have for 40 years now.

17. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Your offense played better than our defense and our offense played better than your defense . It just happened that our defense sucked a little more than your defense yesterday . Certainly not a blowout by any means , in fact it took a last second score to even secure the win

18. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

go find a dictionary, look up distinguishable and tell me what it means,

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Where are all these logical fish fans coming from? I thought they were all idiots. You sir need to get in touch with my douchebag cousin (also a PA fish fan) and teach him to have some class. Good post - well said.

See you in 3 weeks!

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Banned

I don't totally agree with you. Our defense played decent but we should have been able to get off the field on those two fake punts. The pass interference play was also a joke and if you had not gotten that the drive most likely would have ended. All three of those plays resulted in drives that produced scores if I am not mistaken. Take those away and our defense doesn't look so bad IMO. Woulda, shoulda, coulda for sure but there is a lot of truth there.

#120 ebozzz, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009