ESPN Tuesday Morning Quarterback about the Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, May 2, 2006.

1. jcjet

jcjet Member

Tuesday Morning Quarterback about the Draft-Jets

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060502

New Jersey Jets: The Radio City crowd was 80 percent Jets draftniks. The commissioner comes to the podium with the fourth selection and Matt Leinart available. The Jets choose D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Radio City does not shake with boos. Sure, Ferguson is a Long Island product, though the Jets just abandoned Long Island, moving their headquarters to New Jersey. Jets draftniks did not boo the Jets' first choice. Is there a doctor in the house? The Jets had a second selection in the first round, with glamour boys such as Chad Jackson available, and chose another offensive lineman. Again Jets draftniks cheered wildly. Are these pod people from another planet substituted for real Jets fans? Tuesday Morning Quarterback was impressed that the Jets' faithful were sophisticated enough to cheer for offensive linemen. And TMQ thinks the Jets had a magnificent draft, in no small part because they put blockers first. Eric "I Was a Teenaged Coach" Mangini is giving notice he has the New England success formula down -- substance, not style. Mangini even banked an extra second-round choice for 2007, again following the New England success formula of trading down annually in the middle rounds to add extra choices, and thus extra ammunition, for next year.

#1 jcjet, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Nice to hear

This guy is pretty knowlegable about football.

3. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

I have one question, why is it that there's always so many Jets fans at the draft, and not many Giants fans?

4. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

They figure they don't want to be in the building come the day Jets fans burn it down.

5. since83

since83 Member

I'm feelin that.

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'm just glad TMQ is back. What was it that ESPN kicked him off for anyway? I forget completely, which is probably why ESPN let him back on.

7. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Seems the Jets impressed TMQ .... here are a few more quotes where he was talking about other teams:

TMQ on Houton:
    Yeah yeah, they passed on Reggie Bush. Yeah yeah, "strictly a football decision." No one has the slightest idea which drafted players will be good. If you knew for sure Reggie would be the next Gale Sayers, then of course you'd take Bush; if you knew for sure Mario Williams would be the next Bruce Smith, then of course you'd take Williams. But you don't know -- you're guessing all the way. What TMQ liked about the Texans' draft was the first and second choices of the third round were both good-looking offensive linemen. Houston, Jersey/B, Philadelphia and Tampa were the teams that emphasized offensive line in this year's draft. Prediction: Houston, Jersey/B, Philadelphia and Tampa will improve their records.

TMQ on Buffalo:
    Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

Non-Jets related but made me fall outa my chair laughing:
    TMQ on Tennessee:
    Norm Chow throws out his famous 300-play playbook and installs the new Vince Young offense. In the new offense, "Spread 26 motion shallow Y-curl X-dig blast" is replaced by "Pass right."

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I remember he used to write for NFL.com.

9. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

this new jersey jet bullshit needs to stop

10. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Holy crap!!! When did they bring back TMQ to ESPN??? Now I have a reason to be on their site... lol

11. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Have you ever been to a Giants game? It is terrible-they know nothing about football and they make no noise-Tom Coughlin had to tell them to be louder during a PLAYOFF game-i bet Giants fans didnt even know the draft took place

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Man, I missed Easterbrook's humor... :)