To all you offensive line lovers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Smokeeater, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Marino got the SN nod. Warner was UP's AFC choice.
    Dickerson won FW and NE honors.
    Dickerson won AP and PFW offensive honors.
    Dickeron won the AP award, which is the most prestigious one.

#181 Cakes, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. baamf

baamf Active Member

Marino won "The Sporting News" version, while Dickerson won the "Pro Football Writers of America" version.... Stupid awards...

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I agree. I wish there was just one winner.

4. baamf

baamf Active Member

Exactly !!!!

5. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Denver has consistently had a good rushing game no matter who they plug in at RB, and that's because of the O-line. Yes, they haven't been a dynasty but they have pretty much always been a competitive team. Appearing in 4 playoffs in 7 years is proof of that.

You don't just replace Terrell Davis and John Elway and keep winning Super Bowls, but they managed not to bottom out the way a lot of teams do and they've stayed competitive. If you're going to go champ69 on me now and say you're only successful if you win the Super Bowl, then it's a whole different conversation.

7. JetsFanAce51

JetsFanAce51 New Member

Wow, we actually have an intelligent answer here...I personally wanted the Jets to trade down and take Vernon Davis...but I couldn't have asked for a better draft...the best two lineman, a possible QB of the future, AND a second rounder next year...this is all before pick 50, amazing....pure brilliance on the part of Tangini...they may be young, but they aren't retarted...no matter who they would have taken with that 4th pick, the bottom line is that we NEEDED an O-line worse than any other team in the league....we drafted the two best to fill that need...what's everyone's deal??? what's the problem with this???

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

They have made the playoffs and gotten blown out first game every year until last year. Shanahan is a good coach and Denver has the toughest home stadium to play in the NFL insureing them a good home record because of altitude. In a league of parity making the playoffs isn't really that big a deal, it's what you do when you get there. My point is yes they are successful because they have a good OL but they can't just plug any one in and that was evident when Shanahan traded up to improve his QB.

9. MrDobolina

MrDobolina New Member

agreed, KC, Denver, Seattle all have good lines and it shows. You need that foundation to stack the building blocks on. Ramsey (pre Gibbs) and Carr got totally destroyed with out good blocking. So say good job to taking the best O-lineman you can (even first round) to protect the huge investment in QB's and RB's.

10. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Pure brilliance?????? Im going cry................ ROFL, oh my god, he isn't Belichick. I'm not throwing manginii under the buse because he hasn't coached a day yet, but please tell me atlease one poster notices that this boy genuis, second coming like jesus is to God Belichick is getting out of hand???? Atlease one person has to se this other then me.

And the Denver OLine has about much to do with the Olinemen as which DB's Bilichick has. Denver zone chop blocking shceme is why they are so good. I could block for them and the won't miss a beat.

#190 ANJI, May 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  11. winstonbiggs

I would have loved to get Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Vernon Davis or Mario Williams, guess what 3 of them were gone before we picked. D'Brick was rated higher than Vernon Davis WTF is your complaint? You wanted another weak armed left handed version of Chad with 1 elbow surgery already and without Chads character we could have take Leinart instead of D'Brick. Mangold at 29 was a great pick. Did you notice how good our center play was last year? Mawae sucked before he was hurt so we cut his high priced past pro bowl performance is no indication of future returns ass and drafted the top rated center in the draft who represented need and value at 29. We picked the 4th rated QB in the second round. We picked a potential big time playmaker in the 5th round and a good RB prospect in the 4th round. We also picked up some guys who can play D and specials.

If you?re a Jets fan and particularly if you?re a long term Jets fan I understand why you?re confused, we haven't had a draft like the one you just witnessed since 65.

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

You need a good to great offensive line to protect the QB. Look at Carson Palmer now.

If you look at the Jet only Super Bowl win the one thing that was absolutely overwelming in that game was how our offensive line completely dominated one of the best defenses in the league. The draft was different then, pre-cap, so I can';t say who was a number one rounder or not.

Point is without a good offensive line you are going nowhere in the NFL. Herm left our offensive line, and team for that matter, in shambles. We had to start from scratch. We now likely have the core of our offensive line covered for at least the next 7 years.

I know we didn't go fo a lot of flash in the draft which dissapointed some, but the Tangini crew held to their guns and followed their plan. I think they made the correct choice for the betterment of the team.

While we won't go to the Super Bowl next year, at least we should have a better year than last year with a positive future ahead of us. I think we will lose a few games too many by very close scores and that is what will keep us out of the playoffs in 2006, but we will be better. 7-9 is realistic. Going 9-7 is already over-achieving. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Don't be surprized if some of our later round players really produce big-time as well. Who knows, that running back we signed as an UDFA could really amount to something.

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I don't think it was an bad Draft, but it wasn't great or the best I ever seen. It's becoming that you are crazy for wishing your team didn't pick two Oline in the first round???? The only reason I can see for that is that manginii is coming from the Pats and I do not like that. A spade is a spade and this isn't Tuna or Belichick, how the hell does he have "guys" already?????? It is driving me crazy.

And What happened to 2000 and 2001 drafts, it's like robots in jets country. It was an good draft or an solid draft this year, which to me means you can have some regrets. We didn't pick up four starters or possible starters. That's an great draft.

#193 ANJI, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's nice to see a thread like this. The heathens have been running wild in the Jets forum the last few months and it's about time they were slapped back to reality.

I was against an OL pick initially but with the way the draft shook out it's very hard to find fault with the Jets first round selections. These draft nutballs get themselves worked up in a lather over someones 40 yard dash time or the fact they can throw a ball through the goalpost from their knees. Then when "their guy" they've spent 3 months obsessing over and doing a daily mock draft around doesn't get picked they curl up into a little ball and cry themselves to sleep.

As someone else pointed out earlier it's probably going to be a minimum of 3 years before we see how the players from this draft pan out, it's really silly to form some sort of attachment to a guy based on some numbers on a sheet of paper when you've never even seen him play.

15. Italian Seafood

Again, I'm not saying they are a dynasty or anything, but to get to the playoffs and lose--as 11 of 12 playoff teams do every year--is better than the 20 teams that don't get there. There are, of course, other reasons why Denver has stayed in the top half of the league, Shanahan and the home field being two of them. But without a plan to keep a solid O-line they wouldn't even be getting to the playoffs, that's my point.

How many RBs have gotten 1,000 yards for them after Davis? You had Gary, Portis, the guy they have now with the girls' name which escapes me at the moment, pretty much anyone they put back there. Obviously you need a QB, that's why they got Plummer and that's why they went up to get Cutler, understood. Look at it this way--Denver lost Terrell Davis and John Elway and remained competitive in a tough division. We lost Chad Pennington and had Curtis Martin banged up and we immediately fell from a playoff team to 4-12.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I found that funny.

The Broncos 1000 yd. runners A.D.:

Olandis Gary, 1999
    Mike Anderson, 2000
    Clinton Portis, 2002
    Clinton Portis, 2003
    Reuben Droughns, 2004
    Mike Anderson, 2005
    (Tatum Bell just missed 1000 in 2005)

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

To put this Shaw issue to bed, I received this info:

Shaw was indeed the AP Rookie of the Year, with the 1/6/71 NY Times stating that he was the top offensive rookie in "the entire National Football League." I found no reports that Thomas won this award, so I'm not sure who's in charge of research at the NFL office (or Elias.) According to the voting, Shaw got 21 votes, Thomas 15, Ray Chester got 13 and Bob Tucker got two.
    In the UPI voting, Shaw had 12 votes (out of 30) for AFC Rookie of the Year, with Chester the runnerup at nine votes. Ron Shanklin, Bob Anderson and Bob Babich each got two votes. The quintet of Norm Bulaich, Jake Scott, Earlie Thomas, Tony Cline and Lemar Parrish each received one vote.

Shaw and Thomas shared the Football News Offensive Rookie of the Year award, while Mike Reid won on defense.

18. Italian Seafood

That's the guy, thanks. You think Reuben Droughns gets 1,000 yards behind the O-line we were sporting as of Friday? I think not.

19. winstonbiggs

They didn't get to the playoffs every year they got there 4 years, 38% of the confrence make the playoffs every year and they won 25% of their playoff games.

Davis didn't run for 1,000 he ran for 1750 followed by 2,000 coupled with the greates playoff stats in NFL history. Portis is an absolute beast and would be great on any team including ours. Droughns was a 1,000 yard rusher on the Browns last year.

I'm not saying our line doesn't stink, it did and it still may for awhile. I don't mind our draft at all, I think it was very solid right down the line but the idea that you can win big without great talent at at least 1 or 2 of the skill positions and a very good QB just isn't happening unless you assemble the 85 Bears D and even than you need Walter Payton.

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Give 'em hell, Mr Cakes!